Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The way I remember it The Bus was in VTOL mode with its engines rotated so it should have been moving at helicopter speed and not a C-17s cruising speed making the splash even more survivable.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because the parallel was about Ward's actions and intentions. If Fitz & Simmons live, it'll be because the team homes in on the beacon in the quarter and comes to their rescue, not because Ward "let" them live. Nobody came to the rescue of the dog -- that's the difference. Ward's intent was to kill them, just as he chose to kill the dog, however reluctantly.

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its simple folks. The dog was running AWAY from Ward. Switch to the sniper and suddenly, instead of the dog running away from ward it is now running from left to right. It is an obvious switch to the perspective of a different person, most likely Garrett (unless there was a 3rd person nearby). And we did not hear a gunshot.

Similarly the Bus was in VTOL mode, moving forward slowly at a very low altitude. It is at best a four level drop. It will still hurt or even kill, but at least this is much more survivable than say a drop from 10,000ft.

Does that mean Ward has some humanity left? I don't know. All I know is it was intentionally written this way to raise the stakes, and that next week's episode will show whether anyone shot the dog and if Fitz and Simmons survive in the box (they will survive, its just a matter of how and who saved them).

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

ABC has renewed the show and ordered Agent Carter to series.

6. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Huzzah! I don't see Agent Carter being that interesting though. Nothing truly huge can ever happen in it.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh.

So that's why they were playing with all those toys from the 60s.

Oh fuck.

Is B.J. Britt going to be playing Triplett and Triplett's grandfather simultaneously?

Oh?

Derek Luke played gabe Jones in First Avenger, but recasting is always a possibility.

9. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Depends on what you care about. If you're more interested in character than Marvel history, there's no limit to "huge" things that can happen, other than we know that Carter makes it thru to present day.

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they can make it work. They have a great lead in Atwell. Happy to hear about Agent Carter and Shield's renewal.

11. Christopher

Or, the dog veered right.

Or was it blended with the sound of Ward hitting the eject button?

One thing nobody's brought up: If Ward hadn't killed the dog, would Garrett have still accepted him as a partner/accomplice? It seemed pretty clear to me that if he didn't obey, he would've failed Garrett's last test. Killing Buddy was his final exam -- and judging from later events, it seems likely that he passed.

And, again, Ward didn't choose that method of disposing of them. They locked themselves in the chamber, and he couldn't get at them to shoot them. So he did the best he could. That's not Ward showing mercy, that's the show's writers setting up the situation so that their contracted series regulars stay alive despite Ward trying his best to kill them.

Also: Ward does not know that Fitz has a homing beacon in his pocket. He has no reason to believe that anyone will be able to find Fitz and Simmons before they suffocate, drown, or die of thirst. If anything, he probably thinks he's condemned them to a much crueler fate than just shooting them.

Yay and yay!

Although this means that of the two series, the one that will actually feature SHIELD as a going concern will be the one that doesn't have SHIELD in its title. (Well, okay, it's the SSR according to the press release, but it's the precursor of SHIELD.)

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The obvious take away there is that Garrett may think the dog is dead from the sound of the gunshots.

13. Christopher

Which rules out the theory that Garrett was holding the sniper rifle. And if Ward had simply let the dog go, why would he then sight it through a rifle scope after making that decision? The only way the scene makes sense is if he had a moment's hesitation, let the dog run, then changed his mind, obeyed Garrett, and killed the dog. The scene wouldn't have been structured in such a way as to show him deciding twice to let the dog live; that would be pointless. The only reason to show him sighting the dog with a rifle after letting him run was to show that he'd changed his mind. The writers gave us a moment of hope that Ward had mercy after all (and thus might spare Fitz/Simmons), and then dashed it away by showing that he did kill the dog (and did try to kill F/S).

14. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great news about the show being renewed.

15. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Peggy is getting her own show? Why can't they pick a more interesting character, like Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, et al?

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There may have been a Moon Knight in the 50s, and there may have been an Iron Fist in the 50s who wasn't Danny Rand in city disjoint from time... Meanwhile it's iffy to wonder if Luke's Grandparents were alive in the 1950s?

17. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that a mistake because the one shot definitely mentioned SHIELD

18. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Luke Cage was suppose to be getting a Netflix only series and I suspect Iron Fist would be joining him. Moon Knight is too much like Batman/Green Arrow (especially the CW's Arrow).

I think Agent Carter is a good idea for these reason

1. The general public is familar with Carter
    2. Female superheroes need more coverage
    3. It gives the writers the chance to write more mature/risque stories ala "Mad Men"

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Daredevil are each getting mini series on Netflix, then they're going to come together for a Defenders mini series.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm intrigued by the Agent Carter series, because it's a period piece. I'm interested in good characters and good writing, not "huge" storylines. A "huge" storyline has cut the quality of SHIELD in half.

That would be fantastic. :rommie: