Favorite alien race

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 30, 2009.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of the discussion about Cardassians in the philosophy got me wondering what everyone's favorite races are, and if you have a favorite book(s) focusing on them.
    For me it's, in no particular order:
    Klingons (A Time for War, a Time For Peace, Left Hand of Dstiny, Art of the Impossible)
    Cardassians (A Stitch in Time, Terok Nor, DS9 Relaunch)
    Andorians (Paradigm)
    Romulans (Serpent Among the Ruins, ENT: Relaunch)

2. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

The Andorians are my second favorite Trek aliens (right behind the Vulcans).:vulcan:

They have the fierceness of the Klingons but because they're not as strong as the "Kingons" they have to use stealth and strategy to accomplish their goals. If you're going to have fullback aliens, you need to have a race thst's not quite as strong as Klingons. That is the role the Andorians play.:bolian:

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The Cardassians and the Romulans are the most interesting to me. The rest are meh, except maybe the Andorians.

4. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Dremans and Bajorans.

One culture that I got the opportunity to explore, and another that I wanted to see explored more.

The others? Overexposed.

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Jem'Hadar.
    Did anyone pass out from surprise?

Great books with them-
    S.D. Perry's Avatar I & II, Sect. 31 Abyss, KRAD's Gateways Demons of Air and Darkness, DRGIII's Twilight, and Mack's Warpath. I really need to stop plugging the latter... or just have it branded to my forehead and get it over with... LOL!

6. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Cardassians! :D

And Bajorans, believe it or not.

Also--the Romulans as portrayed in the Rihannsu stories.

The Klingons as portrayed in The Final Reflection, too--I like them WAY better than modern Klingons.

7. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ Yeah, I too am going to be wildly predicable and go with the Cardassians swiftly followed by the Romulans and to my own surprise the Klingons (or to be more specific KRADs version, mostly due to Klag and Leskit)

And even the Ferengi in The 34th Rule

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And you don't think the Bajorans haven't been over exposed?

As for a favourite alien species, I don't really have one, but I always thought both the Ferengi and Andorians were good, but that's because of Deep Space Nine and Enterprise respectively.

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Cardassians- as discussed at length in my Cardassian philosophy thread.

Romulans- the modern novel's Romulans, which are a mix of TV Romulans and Rihannsu, come across very complex as as result of these different influences. Sherman-Shwartz and Mangels-Martin are top of the field here.

Andorians- The post-finale DS9 series made them quite fascinating, and now they've been reconciled with Enterprise Andorians, they've achieved similar status to the Romulans (above). Heather Jarman is top of the list here.

Bajorans- "Day of the Vipers" was the best portrayal of the Bajorans I've yet seen. James Swallow captured them perfectly.

Klingons, when written by KRAD, who knows how to make them complex, fascinating and three dimensional.

As for beta-status aliens, I have great fondness and interest in Efrosians, Pahkwa-thanh, Nasats, Tellarites, and pretty much any aliens created by or explored by Christopher Bennett.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Andorians and Klingons. plus Xenexians.

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

As a sequel to my earlier post, I will add a few I forgot last time:

The Tholians, as featured in "The Sundered" and "Vanguard" have been very interesting

I'm quite partial to the Betazoids, but we haven't yet had the Betazoid book ("The Battle of Betazed" and "Imzadi" (one of the relatively few pre-21st century Trek books I've read) were both good, but didn't really elevate Betazoids to the height I'd like to see.

The Trill were made very interesting once writers began focusing on their secret-keeping/conspiracy traits, particularly playing it against their promotion of memory and knowledge.

12. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Honestly? Not in my experience. I do admit I'm behind in my reading, though.

13. xman

xman Commander Red Shirt

I was captivated by Vulcans for a very long time, but since they've been done to death (get it?) that has waned some. I am also still intrigued by Andorians. I mean, c'mon, they're blue and have antenae! For the same reason I also dig Edosians and it was cool to see one in the new film.

In recent years I've added Trills to my favourites box too.

For villains, Romulans still hold the greatest appeal, but with the reboot and a chance to explore a new relationship in the Klingon Empire, they may interest me a little more, but I doubt it.

14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Romulans!

No, Vulcans.

Romulans! Rihannsu ones especially, not the TNG garbage.

But what about those Vulcans?

Romulans, I say!

Vulcans. The TOS variety (amazing how TNG and beyond did such a $*#@ job with both Vulcans and Romulans.)

Oh, what can I say. The pointy-ears, smarts and passion of both races get me every time.

Romulans-Vulcans :vulcan:

(But definitely not those bikers of the galaxy, the over-used and overrated Klingons.)

15. Nerys Ghemor

T'Bonz--curious: what did you think of the old TOS-era Klingons? Especially the way they are in The Final Reflection. Do you (as I do) like them better than the TNG Klingons?

16. T'Bonz

Yes. What happened, is that they swapped the Romulans and Klingons. The Romulans had a bit of a code of honor while the Klingons were just merciless thugs.

Now the Klingons have the code of honor and the Romulans are sly thugs.

17. Nerys Ghemor

Heh...I'm not so sure about the modern Klingons REALLY having a code of honor... ;) Don't get me started on those guys. I am one of those who thinks maybe the Feddie-Klingon alliance went a little (read: WAY) too far.

18. T'Bonz

Meh. The Klingons are vastly overrated and their appeal escapes me.

I once had a big tall guy dressed as a Klingon come up to little ole 5-6 me and say something that sounded threatening in "Klingon."

Too bad for him I know about ten words of "Romulan." After I answered him back (standing right up in the personal space of someone bigger than I is no problem,) he said "What language was that?"

"Romulan," I said proudly. "Have a nice day!"

He was at a loss for words.

My idea of fun at a Star Trek convention is to walk past a group of Klingons and shout "Long Live Romulus!"

The things I hear in return! :lol:

19. Nerys Ghemor

Hah, I enjoyed harassing the "Klingon" at the sci-fi convention I went to. Spoke Cardassian (my made-up version of it...isn't that sad? ;) ), insulted his honor, the whole works. ;)

20. Osiris Aten

Osiris Aten Lieutenant Red Shirt

In fiction, I really enjoy a good villian, and so I would have to say the Romulans (TOS. TNG. & DS9) because they were always behind the scenes manipulating situations. However, the Dominion would ultimately be my favorite w/ Changeling leaders, Vorta "middlemen," and the Jem'Hadar warriors. The Founders made the Romulans appear tame in comparison especially after the destruction of the Obsidian Order & Tal Shiar fleet & they actually engaged the Federation in a full-scale war.