Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys!

Alec

2. RapidNadion

RapidNadion Commander Red Shirt

Ya'll have officially snagged my dollars. The teaser was outstanding - and you know your audience mighty well if you're offering shoulder patches as incentives. :)

Best of luck with the production!

3. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

I too have added my $$$ to kickstarter... Best wishes and can't wait for move video, vinyetts and interviews. Thanks again for your hard work.
    :drool::drool::drool: :bolian:

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Congratulations to the production team and crew at Axanar on such a stellar turnout!

While we still have yet to see a single frame of live footage (everything I've seen so far has been entirely visual effects of starships cruising from one direction to another through clouds in space), the bar is set pretty high. Despite our disagreements in the past, Alec, I am quite looking forward to seeing Axanar and how it turns out. You certainly have jazzed up the fan base. Looks like you guys are off to a great start!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks great Alec, glad you could get Gary in there.

6. Loken

Thank you guys.

Yes, each thing we do is a trial run and a proof of concept for the next thing we do. So this video was our first test, mainly to show we could actually shoot SOMETHING.

During this process our amazing post supervisor, Mark Edward Lewis, taught me how to edit and I edited the footage, while he sound designed it. (Though Rob Burnett will be editing both "Prelude" and "Axanar"). It is amazing how much knowing the editing process affects your vision of a story.

So we will go from an afternoon shoot, with a crew of 5 and 4 people on camera, to a crew of about a dozen in a 2 day shoot with proesthetic make up and 7 actors.

Then sit back, evaluate, refine, and do Axanar. A bit like Six Sigma in a way.

Alec

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the teaser today. Looks promising.

I'll be waiting patiently ...

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little space program-esque, as well with that testing in stages.

This was your Mercury. Prelude will be your Gemini, and Axanar will be your Apollo. :)

9. Loken

Oh we love that. Told the director the other day. He chuckled.

10. Loken

The Axanar team has announced that we will be shooting all of our feature in Los Angeles. We are lucky enough to now have access to a huge warehouse facility, and a construction crew lead by one of the principle construction foreman who worked for Herman Zimmerman and Star Trek for 15 years.

While we had planned on using the Phase II sets in New York, our team is now too big to transport back there and modifying those sets is not practical anymore. It is actually better for both productions this way and we are pretty excited about the possibilities.

We plan on building TOS sets that can be modfied to be USS Ares sets as needed. That way we can shoot either time frame. The sets will be permanent.

Alec

11. doubleohfive

Well! That's excellent news! ROCK ON!

12. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I agree, the more top quality sets there are, the better off every fan film group will be.

This will be a huge boon for west coast fan groups.

13. doubleohfive

Indeed. Alec, can you tell us where in Los Angeles you guys will be based? The valley? South Bay? Hollywood? etc. ?

14. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Wow, that is likely to lead to MANY more fan films. L.A. has more film and TV talent... and more wannabees than anywhere else in the world. Build it and they will come and make fan films... But you might also want to contact the writers at Big Bang Theory. You know that Sheldon and his friends, if real, would crash your shoot. There is an obvious episode in that. And from what I understand, Mayim Bialik is quite the Geek. Although her character doesn't much care for Trek, she's the only cast member who actually does like it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  15. Loken

The sets will be housed in Valencia, 25 minutes north of Universal Studios. (I know as I live close by there). We have a 45,000 sf facility, which we will use a small portion of, but it also has 5,000sf of office space, so for a shoot you have plenty of space.

[​IMG]

16. doubleohfive

That's superb! I actually know that area pretty well myself. I'm sure you guys will be well situated, and conveniently located in relation to Vasquez Rocks, too. Nicely done.

17. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Wait--are people jumping to conclusions here? I didn't read that Alec's team was actually going to open up the west coast Axanar sets to other productions. Or did I miss something?

18. Loken

UGH. I really don't ever want to film at Vasquez. That has been used by every fan film it seems. Even JJ used it. Just so over exposed IMHO. If you use it you have to use the parts you haven't seen before.

19. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at your bridge computer model, I was wondering what that is just left of the viewscreen? is that the turbolift? (which would deviate from tradition, and not in a bad way at all)

Can't wait to see the actors in costume!!...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, that bridge is pretty. It is SO pretty. I absolutely adore bridge designs that utilize the lower "pit" level of the classic circular layout - through TOS and the early movies it always bugged me that there were three steps down and then at least one step back up to the platform where the helm / nav stations sat. I know it was REALLY like that to make for more even shots with Shatner standing on the lower level next to the center console or the perimeter stations, but IMO it's been a big pet peeve that they'd "really" waste space like that. :P

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.