Replacing Smallville...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

I beg to differ What about a post Ironman movie based series having Tony combat not only armored foes,but business rivals that try ruin Stark Industries it could lead into a Live action Avengers series as spin off. Cameos by Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

I could get into an X Men prequel series showing formation of the School for gifted children to how did Professor X get into his famous wheelchair.
    Yes I did watch Wolverine X Men Origins on demand,and saw Professor X standing on his two feet.
    As to a real network ,running a series like the Marvel live action ones SyFy comes to mind. DC will stick, with CW because of the current track record with Smallville.

Thats my two cents

Signed

Buck Rogers

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

IIRC he was crippled when an alien called Lucifer dropped a rock on him.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I could see a Starman as well although way to mentally challenging for todays viewers.

The Question also has solid potential for a series. Be it a male or female version.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Why won't they allow a live action Batman series? It would be a money maker (presumably) for them, and I can't see a studio turning down a chance to make money.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. A "Very Special Episode".

:lol:

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a well done live action Batman TV series, so the CW obviously can't touch such an idea, lol.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It is part of the whole "Bat-Embargo" since the Nolan film series is, presumably, still going.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Because they figure they'll make more money with the Nolan film series, and any dodgy television show (because, let's face it, this is the CW) will only harm the brand (and potential box office).

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ The two above me are the reason. It's also why you won't see Batman related characters on Smallville.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a Justin Hartley Green Arrow series, I can see the upcoming episode featuring Speedy (Mia) setting up a spin off. We have also discussed before the possibility of a Legion of Superheroes spin off as well. Although I think it could have the problem of easily being the CW's most expensive series, the characters fit their demographic and their motto of airing shows to a young and "kewl" audience. I would establish a pilot featuring Rokk, Imra, and Garth and then add three more core members including Brainiac 13.

Christopher's suggestion of Tales of Asgard (Marvel is doing a animated series with a young Thor btw Chris in 2011 called Thor: Tales of Asgard) reminds me of Young Hercules starring Ryan Gosling.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Unless the proposed SUPERMAX movie gets out of development hell, in which case Green Arrow would be off-limits to the CW . . .

Then again, with a new regime in charge of DC Entertainment, maybe the old rules no longer apply.

(I still can't see them ever allowing Bruce on SMALLVILLE, though. The BATMAN movies are too much of a golden goose to risk hurting them.)

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I just don't understand the logic. I mean, I get how they may not want a live-action Batman series that might retread similar ground the current films are covering.

But, how would one appearance on Smallville really hurt the Nolan film series? I don't see how that would "hurt the brand" anymore than the current Batman cartoon or the direct-to-DVD animated features would.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guilt by association?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That wasn't me. I have next to no interest in Thor. That was an earlier poster.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Cartoons are a different audience.

16. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

i like a show with a young thor or batman in training;)

17. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Some interesting ideas. For an LSH show on the WB to work, they'd have to be time travelers who come to modern Earth to prevent time-traveling villains from changing the timeline. The mystery is they received a message fragment from themselves in the 21st century, but they don't know quite who the villains are, so they have to piece that together. Setting it now means no expensive 31st-century sets.

To go in a completely different direction, I wouldn't mind a young Conan the Barbarian show. Show his early adventures and how he becomes the legendary warrior envisioned in the Robert E. Howard novels. His rival in romance and swordplay could be Red Sonja. And the main recurring villain would be the evil wizard Thoth-Amon. (Guess that sounds a bit too much like Hercules with Kevin Sorbo.)

I've always thought adapting the Manhunter DC Comics character from the 1970s, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by a then little-known Walt Simonson would be cool. He was one of the first Silver Age characters that killed, predating Wolverine by a few years. Obviously, his costume would be too outlandish for a live-action series, but his weapons (shurikens, Burundi dagger, gun) would be fine.

I for one would love to see a period piece based either on The Shadow, Doc Savage, or The Avenger/Justice, Inc. Those would be expensive to produce, of course. I like those period pulp novel characters. If someone decided to go that route, I'd most love to see a Shadow series.

Now, since they're already doing a Captain America film, doubt they'd do a live-action TV show. But it could be fun if it's set during World War II, like the first series of Wonder Woman TV-movies back in the '70s. Imagine as Cap battles the Red Skull, Baron Zemo, and other Nazi and Imperial Japanese threats. That would be a cool throwback!

In that vein, it would be interesting to have a super-spy type series set during the Cold War, too. Maybe a revival of sorts of the Our Man Flint movies (which featured James Coburn as the title character), which featured an American James Bond fighting the Russians and other Cold War types.

Red Rum!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  18. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

:brickwall:

What is it about this site? Not only can people not even remember my handle after being here around 8 or 9 years, now my ideas are being attributed to other people. And I don't even warrant a name-drop in the correction either? You people really deflate a guy's ego. Anyone have a Prozac or Zanax to spare?

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry the Dagman....lol...too much caffeine at school when I posted that! Also up until they dumped Laura I would have thought CW was fast tracking a Supergirl spin off series.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing cool about that.

Actually that was the entire first season of the weekly hourlong series. The only movie was the pilot, unless you count the dreadful Cathy Lee Crosby pilot movie in 1974 (which wasn't a WWII period piece).