Homecoming & The Farther Shore

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Cmdr.Druss, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Cmdr.Druss

Cmdr.Druss Lieutenant Red Shirt

These books deal with the aftermath of Voyager's return to the AQ, leaving out the Borg plot, is this what we would have expected to happen?

After the celebrations Voyager virtually ignored in the wake of the Dominion War?

What do we think would have happened to the crew? Would the Maquis stay in Starfleet? What about the tech, mission logs and debriefings etc..?

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

As for the Maquis, I would think that since the rest of the Maquis were pretty much all killed and the only ones surviving were standed in the DQ for years...that Starfleet would have obviously have dismissed the charges. I would venture to guess that people dedicated to their work like B'Elanna and some others would have stayed in Starfleet.

I didn't read Homecoming yet, but I have read Mosaic and the later novels by Kirsten Beyer (Full Circle --> Eternal Tide). For Chakotay, I have a little bit of trouble believing he would have taken on the job of Captain. I understand they had to have him be active simply for the plot or whatever...but if this were reality...I think he would have came home, got a position teaching Anthropology or Archaeology, and left it at that.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

After the Dominion War, it would be hard to imagine the Cardassians be allowed to retain control of the once contested boarder planets (or any previous conquered planets).

Any maquis who had lands on those planets could return to them, return home, rebuild what they had before.

After the dust settled, Voyager would return to regular Starfleet missions, new crew, new captain.

Janeway in time achieves the rank of Admiral.

I think that venturing back to the Delta Quad would be pretty far back on the back burner for the Federation. There are much closer star systems and undiscovered species to go to first.

:)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'd really expect the Voyager crew to retire and never leave Earth after all thr fuss they went to to get back there. But there wouldn't be much in the way of future stories that way:)
    The tech Voyager brought back plays a huge part in the later novels.
    In the epic Destiny novel trilogy, Starfleet is using transphasic torpedoes against the Borg, and in Full Circle, Voyager is equipped with a new working Quantum Slipsteam drive, allowing "safe" return to the Delta Quadrant with a small backup fleet.
    Voyager's many time travels come up in DTI: Watching the Clock.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I read these when they came out - they're not brilliant but they're miles better than the Spirit Walk duology which I wish I'd skipped.

Full Circle is fantastic and its follow-ups are pretty good too !

6. Captain Kathryn

Agreed. I like Beyer's books.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I agree there. I didn't even read the second Spirit Walk, I remember seeing it for a couple bucks on a bargain table and thinking I'd rather spend it on a cup of coffee. The first one was dreadful. And such a disappointment because I so enjoyed Homecoming and The Farthest Shore. Certainly they aren't great literature (no where's near as good as Mosaic) but they are fun, well paced and I felt like Golden wrote with the characters voices very well. Once she got to Spirit Walk she seemed to have run out of steam, and even setting aside that the topic of Klingon Spirituality and the the dumbass messiah storyline (which is thankfully DEAD now) are just godawful to me the books are shit.

I read her Warcraft books and the same thing seems to happen, starts off with a great story and after a couple books it's like it's a ghostwriter draft. Who knows, maybe the first ones get edited in to greatness and then they don't bother?

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't that happy with those books when I read them.They were acceptable, but not so much more. I had expected something better.

But compared to the recent Voyager books, they are actually very good.

What I would have liked to see is how Starfleet were using the experience that the Voyager crew had from the years in the Delta Quadrant, keeping the crew together sa a tight unit, ready for special missions where necessary.

Janeway should have remained the Captain of Voyager, no Admiral rubbish and Chakotay should have remained First Officer.

Tuvok should have remained Chief of Security, Paris should have remained as the pilot, Torres as the tech wizard she was in the series and Kim should have remained at Ops.

Seven and The Doctor should also have remained as they were in the series and we should have had a book where Neelix finds his way back to his friends and rejoins the crew.

As for Kes, follow the link below and go to "Kes Stories"! :bolian:

9. Captain Kathryn

Totally agree on that.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going to have everything stay the same, why bother setting it after the series? You might as well write something set during the show at that point.

11. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't love the books to be honest, I just was well sick of The Borg by that point and the books dealt with them in a very "voyager manner" it wasn't until the excellent Destiny Trilogy that I bought the Borg as a legit threat again.

But as for how accurate?

I certainly don't think Voyager would have been as small a point as it was, in times of war a feel good story like that is what people need, I imagine they WOULD have done a parade etc, given it more attention.

Maquis staying in starfleet, well there is a saying that people in prison become "institutionalized" I.E they don't know what to do on release. I could see this being the same for the Maquis, they were just so used to things at that point it would make sense to stay, in the 7 years they were gone so much would have changed at home that life aboard a starfleet ship would be more like home to them I imagine.

12. Lynx

It would have been difficult and a bit unrealistic to squeeze in more adventures in an already action-filled timeline.

Besides that, there were some stupidities in the series which could be corrected if the adventures continues after the homecoming.

Not to mention that Voyager books should be about all the Voyager characters from the series. Otherwise they could call it something else.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That doesn't stop the many Five-Year Mission novels that Pocket Books publishes for TOS.

The unchanging status quo post-return that you would've preferred sounds much more unrealistic.

14. Lynx

^^
    Why?

During the long mission in the Delta Quadrant, the Voyager crew became like a family with a good cooperation and good chemistry among the crewmembers.

So why shouldn't they stick together and continue to explore the near space in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and maybe the Alpha Quadrants as well?

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always found the sticking together for years and years unrealistic. But maybe some huge psych revelation has declared that this makes for productive crews?

16. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I guess because Janeway was an Admiral in the movie Nemesis, it's canon now and so then reflected in the Trek/Voyager books. But now that Voyager's back in the DQ she does have the job that makes sense for her in the current books' storyline, IMO.

17. Captain Kathryn

In The Eternal Tide at the end, it's pretty much Chakotay and Janeway back together commanding the way they had before except for one difference in that she is technically an admiral, resurfaced from the dead, and her and Chakotay are together! Hehehehe. :D

Even though unrealistic, I would have preferred the crew stay the same and together for the most part, however have them stay in the Alpha Quadrant and take on whatever issues arose there rather than back in the Delta Quadrant.

18. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I'm not so thrilled Voyager is back far away in the DQ, but at least, as I was saying, now KJ has an active kind of job she's well suited for, and hopefully as she is back, no more talk about how she's just a "desk-bound admiral" (not that she was so much IMO) and her "story" isn't worth writing about anymore. And is rather cool KJ & Chakotay are lol "back together" in their command roles (but he's also more his own boss as well).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  19. Captain Kathryn

True!