7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 27, 2013.

?

Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"

Poll closed Jun 6, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

39 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Good

46 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Average

24 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. Not worth salvaging

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

It's easier that way. Better than conceiving that the Doctor has, you know, SEX, or falling in love.. Aliens don't have sex, ya know. They have Pon Farr or Looms. But, sex? Love? That's something for dirty humans.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I don't want to nitpick your post to death, but yes, twice. The "Love with Companion thing" happened twice.

Small hints don't count. Come on, if you've ever been in love you know that "small hints of love" is as far removed from the real deal as is possible. Nothing happened between them apart from a vaguely romantic mood.

One.

The very point of Martha story was that it was not a "Love with Companion thing". In fact, that's why she left the TARDIS.

But he didn't, because he was Space Gandalf.

Two.

Jack is an endless stream of innuendo. Again, that has nothing to do with the real thing.

But she didn't. And I guess one could debate whether she even was a Companion to begin with.

So yeah. The "Love with Companion thing" happened twice, once with Rose, once with River. I still don't think it's "getting old".

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Martha and Amy absolutely count, because they tried to get into his pants. That's the whole point of why, for me at least, it's gotten old. It's almost every Companion.

Just Rose, was fine, it was new and fresh. Bringing Martha in to come on to him was getting repetitive, and then Amy coming onto him, the night before her Wedding, nonetheless, made it a habit

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

I might have bad news for you...

I don't think the Doctor's disposition's more alien from our point of view than that of a very eccentric human. His slightly different hardware allows him to have a lifestyle humans can't have but his disposition seems to be within human limits.

Psychotic crush kind of love was never part of the character in the first 26 seasons, but sometimes people change radically at a late point in their life especially when there's a crisis, and there was a Time-Lord sized one before Nine.

It's been interesting how it's led to doom and gloom in Ten and now with Eleven losing his companions, despite his attempts at self-control having been much more respectable.

DalekJim read your pm and say something:p

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Amy's feelings for the doctor were at least more complex, and the whole scene where she tried to get in his pants did make dramatic sense given what she'd just been through. Plus the Doctor had been on her mind for a long time. And at least it was dealt with and the characters moved on. Give me Amy trying to jump the Doctor's bones any day over Martha's season long lovesick puppy act.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I may be alone in this, but it seems to me like Doctor/River is more of a 'best friends' thing. Two people who care a lot for each other, and maybe have even had a few nights of passion, but know it would never work out and just kind of enjoy the time they have together when they are together. I've been there, I know that feel. It isn't true love, and they're both aware of it, which adds to the melancholy that the Doctor can't help but bring to their relationship with his knowledge of how it ends for her. Plus, the 'marriage' was such a cop-out that I can't take it seriously.

7. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

Considering the intensity of the argument, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes:

I'm sure the Doctor would love and enjoy women, except for the fact that all the Time Ladies are dead. All he has left are the females of an extremely inferior, less-evolved species (humans). For the Doctor to consort with a human female would be like a human man consorting with an orangutan or chimpanzee female. (and consider that humans and chimps are far more closely-related than humans and Time Lords---at least chimps have roughly the same reproductive organs :p)

Now, the Doctor certainly does have other feelings towards humans: affection, pride, etc., much like a person may feel that way towards a beloved dog. But the person wouldn't dream of entering into a romantic relationship with a dog. (or at least, I hope not)

If people want to assume that the Doctor and Romana were knocking boots in the TARDIS, that would make total sense. But the Doctor and a human would seem more like bestiality to me than an actual romantic relationship.

Anyway, in conclusion, I have no problem with the Doctor being romantic. But doing so with a highly-primitive species seems weird to me.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've long since taken it as read that the Doctor did have a sex life - he's got a granddaughter, so obviously - but he was old when we first met him, and had long since grown out of that - I know, that's a bit patronising, because we all know sixty or seventy year olds who are still very active, but still...
    He understands it, he remembers doing it, he has this vague recollection of how it once seemed as overwhelmingly important to him as it still does to all these youngsters he hangs around with, but all the same... he's got more interesting things to do, and is quite glad of that (and even more grateful that he didn't have a facebook account back when he was that young and silly... ;-)).

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

River said she would age backwards to confuse people.

It's more than possible that Tomelords only age when they want to, and that Hartnel's Dr looked liked like Hartnell because it was in his interest to do so and not an inescapability.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind if the Doctor is shown having some kind of intimate relations but I'm not crazy about it being with his companions. The Doctor seems to me is like a crazy uncle or something that has these incredible adventures. I would think kids imagine going off of the TARDIS with the Doctor taking them to amazing, sometimes scary places. I guess in my mind I just find it easier without that baggage. He's visiting them as kids, he has them stuck in his box in unfamiliar places and so on, I don't really want to see that be creepy.

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

He's also, you know, married and stuff.

12. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

^Must have been awkward for him when his ultra hot mother in law was hitting on him after their adventure with the Angels.

This episode was average for me, and I didn't like the reset button ending. But seeing the Eye of Harmony was a nice touch, and I enjoyed the library, and the history of the Time War book. Jenna continues to be delightful. I really like her.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

See above. The wedding was symbolic at most, while she is far from a consistent presence in his life and in many cases he is encountering a version from before said wedding. He may live the rest of his life without ever encountering a version of her that is 'married', and he certainly can't divorce someone who hasn't married him yet. At what point is he allowed to move on in your eyes?

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. They're flirty and get a kick out of each other but their lives are too out-of-sync to be considered a real married couple. They had a chance to travel as husband and wife at the end of "Angels Take Manhattan", but she declined. There's only room for one psychopath at a time on the TARDIS she said.

And even if they are genuinely and truly married, what are the rules of said marriage? Perhaps Timelords are polygamists. Maybe a marriage is less about sex and more about a partnership in title and landholding. We mustn't apply rules from human culture to what is essentially an alien relationship.

15. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Isn't Madame Vastra married to a human? And that cat guy in the episode where Martha got kidnapped had a human wife. And Captain Jack is "51st century guy" pansexual and all.

I see no ethical problem for the Doctor to be with a human.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Leela married a Timelord.

Lenora Crichlow is not just some girl!

Jack frakks kitchen brickabrack?

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Rule #2, River also lies ;)

And Jack frakks anything that moves and maybe a few things that don't.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...only if it has a non-stick coating. :p

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The first story in

Doctor Seuss: The Adult Collection

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought they were simply involved, not married.