How should "Law & Order" end?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Borgified Corpse, Apr 8, 2009.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Since we have a thread talking about shows that didn't get finales, I'm wondering how you think Law & Order should end when it finally does end. It would seem like a difficult show to end because it's never been about character development. It's been about the formula of the weekly mysteries. So how do you do a finale that maintains the formula yet feels like a proper end?

My idea: Open the show with one of Jack McCoy's former ADAs--either Jamie Ross, Abbie Carmichael, or Serena Southerlyn--going into Jack's apartment to meet him for dinner, only to find Jack shot dead on the floor. The rest of the episode is about trying to solve the murder of Jack McCoy, complete with tons of cameos from past characters, including Mike Logan, Rey Curtis, & Ed Green putting in some extra detective work; Ben Stone, Adam Schiff, & Arthur Branch offering Cutter some extra legal advice; and Paul Robinette as the defense attorney. I've even got an idea for how to work in a Claire Kincaid cameo in a dream sequence.

What do you think would be a fitting finale for this long-running, cast-of-thousands TV series?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the beauty of L&O. It doesn't have to end.

It's actor-proof. By being gloriously unconcerned with characterization, actors and characters are replaceable on a whim. That should allow the show to last nearly forever, because there's always actors who are willing to join the cast.

3. The Borgified Corpse

^It doesn't have to end. But some of the ratings over recent years have indicated that the end may be nigh (although it did survive the Friday night death slot). Criminal Intent has been moved off of NBC to USA and is pretty much on life support. And frankly, I think Law & Order has been short on gravitas ever since Joe Fontana left.

Although, if the show were to keep going, I've always wanted to see Nana Visitor as a regular on the series. I kinda picture her as a female Lennie Briscoe.

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should go out with a bang and finally abolish crime in New York.

5. The Borgified Corpse

Oooh! Oooh! I know. Lupo & Bernard get called over to a Special Victims Unit crime scene to investigate the deaths of Benson & Stabler. Ultimately, it's discovered they died of a fatal overdose of sexual tension.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

A two-hour series finale crossover with Heroes. Jack McCoy goes after Sylar!

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It does if NBC ever decides that it's sick of shelling out the money for it, which was the primary factor behind the most recent cast changes -- Sam Waterston had to take a pay cut and a reduced role, Linus Roache came cheap, et cetera. It's pretty costly to do all that on-location shooting, too. Considering that Law & Order's ratings are still pretty comatose, I'll be stunned if the show is on the air two seasons from now.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least then, it will have broken Gunsmoke's record. :)

And I think its current cast has some of the best actors (Roache, Sisto) L&O has ever had.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Some kind of big case with a moral dilemma that ends with something big for McCoy (who, although only one of many on the show, is the main attraction for many people). Either he retires, gets promoted, or wins something, I don't know. Maybe something good for Van Buren as well (promotion, maybe?). The cast regulars celebrate, but the cops get called out to investigate the case and the ADAs get ready to join in, showing that life goes on in New York City. Then they pan out to show the entire city and it fades to black.

Part of the advantage of this is they could revive it any time they want and it doesn't seem unrealistic. But, if they give closure to the characters who have been on the show the longest, it'll feel like something a bit more substantive.

10. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

Stop. Right. There. Unlike so many other major dramas of its era and later, L&O isn't about stunts and couples and tearjerking, it's all about the business of solving crimes. It should just end with a solid regular episode.

11. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Dun! Dun!

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Whatever they do, I hope they don't end it in mid sen

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Agreed. L&O is a show in the vein of the episodic dramas of decades past, and those almost never had any kind of finale. There's no arc to the series; hell, it's practically an anthology with essentially interchangeable characters. It should end in a way that's true to itself: another case, another trial, another day on the job.

14. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After a grueling investigation, the detectives are called to the courthouse to testify. The ADA gets the conviction, and the two "separate but equally important" groups meet McCoy outside the courthouse. He says something pithy, then everyone is run over by a bus driven by Jill Hennessy.

15. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A case where the head of the Masucci Crime Family finally gets his just desserts. McCoy probably has a massive file on them with all the cases he's tried and lost.

Or as others have said. Just another day at the office.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe that it should end on a WTF, "is this because i'm gay" note

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this should end with Jack McCoy being arrested for corruption and malfeasance in office. As many of the ex-regulars as possible testify to what a great guy he's been(cue flashbacks) while the current ADA and detectives scramble to prove it's a frame-up. Fade to black as the jury is about to announce their decision....

18. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think there's any real question it would end any other way, but it's always fun to speculate.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Fade to black...one last "dun dun". That's it.

20. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Alien invasion!:D with the aliens blowing up new york ''ID4'' style!