Official E3 2012 thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris3123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

With E3 officially starting tomorrow and press conferences going on today, I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss all the announcements and whatnot.

Just started watching the Microsoft press conference (which started an hour ago), just in time to see the trailer for an upcoming South Park game, "South Park: The Stick of Truth". Looks promising.

The Microsoft conference is just ending now, but it's just the first one today. Press conference schedule:

Rest of today
    Ubisoft: 3:00-4:00 PM PST
    Sony: 6:00-7:30 PM PST

Tuesday
    Nintendo: 9:00 - 10 AM PST

Live press conference streams

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sega's E3 Lineup

• Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    • Aliens: Colonial Marines
    • Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz
    • The Cave
    • Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
    • Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
    • Jet Set Radio
    My inner child just hanged himself.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Microsoft's conference was better than the previous two years, but it was still pretty weak. The Smart Glass thing has potential for some games so I'll keep an eye on it, but when they talked about how they'll be able to use it for movies and TV shows they lost me. When watching a show that I like I usually do so in a dark room with the minimum of distractions, if I start looking at my phone or tablet while ostensibly watching something then the show has failed to engross me. :shrug:

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

List of known games that will be seen at E3 (via IGN):

5. Kelthaz

Well, that Smart Glass looks stupid. We've been using a TV to play games for four decades now. I think it works pretty well. I don't want two screens to look at while playing a game.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Watched the Microsoft show on my 360 and it was alright overall I guess...

* Halo 4 looks interesting though why are we still fighting covenant forces?

* Splinter Cell looked good + Kinect voice controls looked good in it.

* Overall Kinect voice controls looked good in all games, especially their use in EA sport games.

* Smart Glass is an interesting idea but I would never use it due to having little interest in smart phones n tablets.

* Tomb Raider looks FANTASTIC (I say that as a non Tom Raider fan)

* COD looks BLAH :vulcan:

EA show in half n hour, anyone know if XBox Live going to show that on their stream? I enjoy watching E3 on my TV rather than the PC.

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah Tomb Raider does look awesome. :D

8. Kelthaz

What's with the gritty reboot? Lara is supposed to be a rich girl out adventuring for fun -- a female Indiana Jones. She's not supposed to be a Saw survivor.

9. Kelthaz

Here's some gameplay footage for the Tomb Raider game.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQCQFjY9nLs[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlieQBVvvJk[/yt]

Press X to jump over hole.
    Press X to kick zombie in face.
    Press X to jump over hole
    Press X to crawl through hole.
    Press X to eject disc and throw it at the wall.

Okay, maybe I'm judging it too harshly from the demo, but the game had better be more than an on-rails QTE movie.

10. TheGodBen

I can see the possibilities for it. For example, it would have been cool if the notebook in LA Noire was controllable by my tablet, that way during an interview I could have kept track of the questions and evidence in my hands while the suspect's face remained on screen. That would have been a very natural way of using the technology that would have been more immersive than using a controller. Managing your inventory in console games is often a pain, being able to do so with a touchscreen device would be great. The Xbox's crappy onscreen keyboard could be replaced with a less crappy tablet keyboard. There are some interesting ways this technology could be used, and while I don't imagine it's going to be a big deal that will revolutionise the way games are made in the future, it might get rid of some of the annoyances of being a console gamer.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Because the old formula is fucking boring :p Gritty is good...Besides its an origin story apparantly so am sure she will become the rich boring tomb stealing thief later.

12. Kelthaz

But the problem is that any game that uses Smart Glass would only be able to use it as an optional feature. Many people playing won't have tablets or even smartphones to use, so games will never be able to take full advantage of having two screens. I'd rather not have to pull out my smartphone and connect it to my 360 just to have an alternate way to manage my inventory.

Now, if developers knew that 100% of their userbase would have a tablet to use with the game, such as with Nintendo's Wii U controller, then I can imagine some interesting uses for it.

13. TheGodBen

Cross-platform games are probably going to have a some form of touchscreen interface anyway thanks to the Wii U, so developers wont have to develop specifically for Smart Glass, they can just port whatever they were doing for Nintendo's console. And, much like Kinect, Microsoft is going to push developers to use the new features even though only a fraction of the players are going to use the feature, particularly for their first party games like Halo.

It's no coincidence that this is coming out around the same time as Windows 8.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Watching Ubi's show and there are trying to crack some really GOD AWFUL jokes like every show they do...there doing girls having girl wood (aka erections for games jokes) :eek: NO fucking shame...

Also why does Sam Fisher look 10 years younger than he did in Conviction :lol:

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Two possibilities: 1) Those Covies are a renegade raiding group (for example, from the novels, we know the kig'yar are essentially privateers); or 2) the peace treaty has broken apart. I'm hoping the former, and that those Covenant forces are only present as hostiles during the early portions of the game.

16. Kelthaz

I can't imagine playing Halo with a touchscreen on a separate device from the controller. Here, let me just put down my controller to pick up my smartphone and change my weapons and -- fuck, I'm dead. Unless the entire game is controlled with the touchscreen, which is all kinds of wrong.

17. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

EA: Shooters and sports.

With a tiny dash of SimCity. :p

Both EA and Microsoft's presentations seemed a little weak. The Smart Glass concept is interesting, though I'm sure it came out of two thoughts: "How can we use tablets and smartphones with the console" and "Oh shit! Nintendo's going to have a tablet with their next console".

I haven't watched the Ubisoft presentation yet. Is it any good?

18. TheGodBen

They actually made me miss Mr Caffeine. :scream:

Other than that, Ubisoft had a pretty good conference. ACIII looked great, and Watch Dogs went from being a game I've never heard of to something I'm going to keep a close eye on. Looks like it might just be a next-gen title.

[yt]v=FcMRkyoHKeA[/yt]

19. Kelthaz

I just came here to post that exact video. Ubisoft is definitely picking up the slack left behind by Microsoft.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Any Idea why GameTrailers aren't doing their 2 day show (or does it begin tommorow) when its on from like 10am-4pm or something like that. I caught it last year and it was very well done with interviews and segements etc.

Quantic smashes it out of the park again with that sneek peak of "Beyond: Two Souls"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012