TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 23 2014, 04:01 AM   #76
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: TFF - The Good

sonak wrote: View Post
balls wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
-The music is great, one of the best scores of the series
-the TOS feel to it, from the plot to the focus on the Big Three
-Laurence Luckinbill's performance

Good lines

"what does God need with a starship?"

"I couldn't help but notice your pain."

"maybe he's not out there Bones, maybe he's in here, the human heart."
I agree with everything you wrote except the last line about god being in the human heart. It bothered me on June 9, 1989 when I first heard it and to this day. The Federation has 150 planets and they know of countless other worlds, yet god resides in the "human" heart? I don't care for that sentiment. While he's telling bones this, does he even care about spock's half Vulcan heart?

I see your point but I think he meant it in the generic sense, not the specific species.
Azetbur agrees with balls:
"Inalien"... If only you could hear yourselves. "Human rights." Why the very name is racist. The Federation is no more than a "homo sapiens only" club.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 03:30 PM   #77
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Uhura's "bit" should have been when she flew the shuttle in to provide air support for the assault. Far more appropriate for the character and the story.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 08:52 PM   #78
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Mytran wrote: View Post
Uhura's "bit" should have been when she flew the shuttle in to provide air support for the assault. Far more appropriate for the character and the story.
True. Uhura's shuttlecraft piloting and tactical air support skills are legendary within the Trek canon, while this apparent ability to sing comes out of nowhere.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 10:21 PM   #79
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Singing - yes.
Stripping nude and doing the fan dance - I must have missed those episodes

P.S.
Yes, I know she didn't do a whole lot of flying shuttlecraft either. But she has taken the helm once or twice
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 04:35 AM   #80
Sran
Commodore

Nebusj wrote: View Post
True. Uhura's shuttlecraft piloting and tactical air support skills are legendary within the Trek canon, while this apparent ability to sing comes out of nowhere.
I recall her singing several times during TOS.

--Sran
Old April 24 2014, 04:12 PM   #81
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sran wrote: View Post

--Sran
Whoosh.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 06:59 AM   #82
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Vger23 wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
TFF also had a sort of Indiana Jones thing going on - 'Indiana Kirk and the Quest for God' - a mystical quest movie, a 'great unknown' mcguffin that tapped into the imagination with plenty of action along the way. Like Indy in Raiders, Kirk gets roped into the whole thing by an outside force (Nazis/Sybok) searching for something incredible (Ark/Sha-Ka-Ree)...gets captured/locked up/escapes...eventually gives in when the quest is completed as the lure of the unknown is too great ("This IS history"/"You too must know...") it even had a similar end (Demonic Angels/False God - killing the main villain). if itd been a bit grander with better FX - it mightve worked very well. maybe if Sybok had been on a quest for something mystical and god releated (but not the actual almighty) it mightve worked better? like what Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade was doing the same summer (with Sean Connery - the original choice for Sybok and apparently who 'Sha-Ka-Ree' was named after)....
So Trek V isnt all bad...in terms of best to worst, id put before the Avatar like Insurrection and Khan like Nemesis...but after the Kubrickian Motion Picture and Inception like Generations[]
I agree. I've made the comparison to Indiana Jones a few times myself.

I think they could have solved some of the issues by having Sha Ka Ree be assumed to be a mystical place were, if you were intelligent and courageous to overcome the Barrier, you could have an "audience" with God as opposed to it being God's actual residence. It turns out that this is a Vulcan legend from long ago, and Sybok, being an emotional guy, firmly believes in that legend and wishes to commune with the Almighty.

A lot of the lack of believability is "why would God exist at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?" I mean, we all know that God wasn't there...but why would the Vulcans (or even just Sybok as an individual) believe that would be reasonable? I think if you make the belief around Sha Ka Ree more about a "hero's trial"- meaning something that only the most intelligent, resourceful, and "pure faithed" can achieve...it becomes a more believable quest.

Then, it turns out that this was all a manipulation. The being who is imprisoned there reached out and planted the "vision" in Sybok's mind when it found that he was open and passionate about the idea. It's really a lure that this evil creature has created to attempt to escape.

I don't know...seems like that could have fixed some things up.

Then, you leverage the Sybok "back story" of being an extremely gifted intellect (in much the same way the novelization does) to explain some of the other stuff: Sybok has spent a lifetime attempting to perfect a wormhole effect that would allow a starship to traverse the distance relatively quickly. He has also spent a lifetime designing deflector shield modifications that would withstand the intense radiation and gravitation of the Barrier. You then have the Klingons following the Enterprise (cloaked) into the wormhole and appropriating the deflector shield frequency by hacking them.

If you jettison the Uhura fan dance, Sulu and Checkov getting "lost" and the silly Kirk fighting the 3-breasted cat sequences...you probably have enough time to get these story point in, and it's a much stronger script as a result.
Holy. Mother. Fuck.

Boiinnng!!!!

Someone write the novel based on this outline!!!
Old April 30 2014, 10:00 AM   #83
Mario de Monti
Captain

Sran wrote: View Post

--Sran
Yes. Her song about Charlie in Charlie X and the love song she sings for Riley in Conscience of the King come to mind.
Old April 30 2014, 01:20 PM   #84
starburst
Fleet Captain

Well Uhura did fly the Shuttle to pick up Kirk, Spock and McCoy as well as into Paradise City at the end of the assault... It would be hard for her to fly air support in anything other than a recon mode as the Shuttles are generally accepted to be unarmed and it seemed they were worried that it could be damaged or shot down.

I have said this before but really there is some great character and production design elements which make this film for me...

My thoughts...
  • Pretty much every word spoken between Kirk, Spock and McCoy
  • Scotty's "this ship must have been put together by monkeys..." and "they dont make them like they used to" lines
  • The Bridge, one of my all time favourites (up there with the Defiant) which influence can not only be found with the Enterprise and Excelsior in the next film but also the Equinox and Prometheus a century later along with I would argue the Enterprise E.
  • The Captains Chair, ok so its a part of the above point but I like it enough to mention again, this chair I loved since I first saw it and would love to own this in the STV or Excelsior colours.
  • The 'Klingon' music which was later used as the 'Worf' theme for TNG movies
  • Making the Klingon Bridge a little less Starfleet - removing theforward consoles help to make it stand out and the periscope was a great feature to allow a true warrior to take control and put the ships weapons literally at his or her fingertips
  • The new shuttles, these were my number 1 but have been pushed aside by the ones from Into Darkness (blasphemy I know)
  • Shield animation/indicator - conceptually so much better than its predecessor 'blips'
  • The Phasers not much needs saying here, really hope DST produce these with removable power packs after their upcoming STIII Phaser.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote