Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Quantum_Q

Quantum_Q Ensign Newbie

Hello all! Newbie here, and new to star trek in general, but I have been browsing your site for the past year. I decided to finally register once I have finished watching all of the original series and TNG. Now, just bought DS9 and going through it. Hate to stir the pot, but I am not enjoying DS9 as much as TOS or TNG.

Anyways, glad to be here and hope to get to know you all!

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^Welcome, Quantum Q! Don't worry, you are not the only one who thinks that way about DS9. In fact, most of us cannot agree on breakfast... let alone our favorite Star Trek series!

3. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sector 7 is right. You're free to have a wrong opinion if you wish. :rommie:

But seriously, it doesn't really matter. Even people who like a show can't agree on what's good or bad in it. You're definitely not gonna get any demotions for not liking a series. Breakfast would probably be easier...but no gagh. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  4. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi there!

I've been a fan for ages, and some of you may recognize my nick from elsewhere online. I like all Trek shows, but especially DS9 and Enterprise. And yes, I even like *gasp* the new movie *gasp*

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello,
    I've been here for a little while. I've forgotten just how long. I know there was one fewer movie back then. I want to welcome all the new folks, and send my greetings to the old timers.
    One thought I'd like to add. THe TrekBBS is a great starting point. I'd really recomend trying to take part in local gatherings, if there are any other posters in your area. I've made a couple of good friends here, who I wouldn't if I just stuck to staying on line. And not only are these poeple not wierd, they appreciate my wierdness!

6. Quantum_Q

Quantum_Q Ensign Newbie

Good to hear that! and thanks for the warm welcome! Look forward to sharing some conversations with you in the near future! :)

Haha! Well then, then I must also add that I am skipping DS9 for the time being and have gone straight into Voyager. So far, I am liking this show alot. Hopefully I will grow to like DS9, but there is just something about starships I prefer over starbases.;)

7. Futurama Trek

Futurama Trek Cadet Newbie

Finally made an account after lurking for about a year. My name is Nick and I'm a sophomore at UNCC. I'm working towards getting a Masters degree in Physics. My roommate introduced me to Star Trek last year and I've become a huge fan. I love this site and have seen that there are good people here and I can't wait to get to know all of you.

8. Dragonfare

Dragonfare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Welcome aboard, Futurama Trek!

9. MollyRoger

MollyRoger Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys,

I'm Molly, yes my real name. Obviously Roger is not my real last name but I may change it someday.

I'm 18, I know, just a baby compared to some of the people here. Some of you remember the first runs of TOS.

In any event, I grew up with Trek because my parents were rabid fans.

Unfortunately, they both died when I was 16.

but I won't dwell on that

I'm a true geek-girl. I love Sci-fi and Fantasy and especially Pirates. I live on a boat. Anyhow, nice to find this forum.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Welcome. Not everyone here is that old. I joined when I was 16, for example. Glad you could join us.

11. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw, welcome MOLLY. I'm sure you will enjoy it here and make some new wonderful friends. Some may even start to feel like family to you! :)

12. Gibberish

Gibberish Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi everyone, decided to sign-up.

Lookin' forward to talkin' Trek (and more) with everyone!

13. Dragonfare

Dragonfare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ahoy, Molly! Glad to have you aboard! (And sorry about your parents.) :(

And a warm welcome to you, Gibberish!

14. maneth

Welcome aboard Molly and Gibberish! The more the merrier.

15. MollyRoger

MollyRoger Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do believe I have tested that axiom on occassion ^^

16. surrogatejoe

surrogatejoe Cadet Newbie

Hi from a newbie :) Please read my babble

Hi

Babble it is im afraid.

A big hello from Sunny Scotland. Actually its -5 and windy and grey and wet and rotten, but hello nonetheless.

This is my first post and i just wanted to ask a few things.

I was never into the original TOS when i was younger, though i always loved the Enterprise of that era. My first real love of Trekkiness came with TNG.

Voyager i thought was ok, DS9 i never really got into and ENT was actually ok after i kind of warmed to it.

My problem is that i feel that ST is sort of stuck in a time warp. Over here in the UK, Virgin1 regularly show VOY and TNG, and Bravo have VOY and DS9. However, most of the people i know will not watch any of it.
    It took me long enough to convince people to go see the new ST film, but when they see me talk about ST stuff or tell them i still watch TNG they think im crazy and some sort fo 80's reject.

How do we bring ST back to being relevant today?
    I still think that the morals and social aspirations in ST are brilliant..... if only it were real then the world would be a much better place, more so than ever we need a reminder of tolerance and understanding.

I guess a new series would be good.... but i get the impression its not likely to happen (for the next 5 years at least), more films would help too (though i still kind of want more TNG style films.... thats not going to happen ever though i suspect).

Anyway..... I've said nothing important, interesting, fun or exciting on my first post....... i promise that future posts will be much more exciting, maybe..........

17. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Re: Hi from a newbie :) Please read my babble

Hi!

Don't worry about Trek...it's big and will just keep getting bigger.

18. Aquarius

Aquarius Commander Red Shirt

Okay, I registered a year ago but I'm a total noob because I didn't come back and start participating until yesterday! :alienblush: Oops, my bad.

I've been a Star Trek fan since the playpen, when TOS was the only one and in syndication. I love all the Trek series but right now I'm on a major Enterprise jag. I'll be going to the Vegas con this summer, my first Trek con sice the mid 90s. I write fanfic and am the editor in chief of an old-school paper-style fanzine.

I am a hairdresser in the Detroit area, but this past fall I returned to school to finish the degrees I started in English and Electronic Media. I have one cat, Elvis, 17, who is cuter than anything has any business being. ;)

Looking forward to getting to know you all and making some new friends.

Cheers!

19. deadnite

deadnite Ensign Newbie

Re: Hi from a newbie :) Please read my babble

Hello and welcome to the board! This is only my 2nd post.

If they don't want to watch Star Trek, then there isn't much you can do. :( With shows like Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe, True Blood, United States of Tara, and others my interest in Star Trek is waning.

Do they even enjoy other sci-fi shows? You like TNG so I'd go with Genesis, Timescape, or other episodes like that which are suspenseful. They may appeal to a more new viewer.

20. maneth

Glad you decided to delurk, Aquarius!