‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Smart of them to cut away right before Batman explodes after Superman runs right through him.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ I expect WW to break up the fight.
    [​IMG]

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another new Batsuit photo. I think it might end up being my favorite Batman movie suit.
    Even the lower half looks good, that's usually the crappiest part in other suits.

[​IMG]

4. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Brightened the image so that you can actually see all the details:
    [​IMG]

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the benefits of being in a film about an Alien God who shoots lasers from his eyes is that nobody gets fixated on "realistically what sort of suit would a man need to survive in combat with armed bad guys" because you are instantly going for a different style from the Nolan films where they overthought that sort of thing...

6. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Anyone feeling sorry for Gal Gadot? Cavill and Affleck dont necessarily need to be 100% muscular all the time to play their characters, even if they are. Suit pretty much add all the missing muscle. But Wonder Woman has her bare legs and arms visible at all the time.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Batfleck already hosed Supes down with his kryponite before getting anywhere close to him :cool:

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Perhaps they are not going to fight but going to hug each other :)

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not crazy about the use of a TDKR-style chest logo on the Batsuit -- it makes him look less like Batman and more like Groucho Mustache Man. But those close-up shots of the logo with what appear to be knife cuts in it help justify it -- as in TDKR, the chest insignia is body armor, designed to attract attackers to it (although that was meant to justify the yellow oval insignia -- I'm stretching it here), and so it has to be wide enough to protect his chest.

It's still one of the worst versions of the Batman insignia ever designed, though.

It's a myth that a story needs to be free of dark subject matter in order to be upbeat. The upbeatness is in how it ends, how the characters manage to cope with the dark or tragic elements. Or it could simply be a matter of emphasis. Look at the original Star Wars. It features the brutal murder of Luke's adoptive family, the extended torture of Leia, the destruction of Leia's entire planet and everyone on it, and the death of one of the last Jedi Knights in the galaxy at the hands of his former apprentice who fell to evil. And yet it's not a downbeat film, because it doesn't dwell on those elements, and because the heroes manage to transcend their tragedies and achieve a major victory.

Indeed, the darker you make a story in the first and second acts, the more triumphant it can be in the third, as the heroes manage to fight off the darkness and the audience experiences the relief of that victory. Look at Back to the Future Part 2 with its dystopian alternate 1985 where Biff murdered Marty's father, pretty much enslaved his mother, and had Doc Brown committed to a mental institution. That's pretty dark stuff, but it's just to establish the stakes, and the fact that Marty manages to avert that future -- and does so in a way that's fun to watch and has a lot of humor in it -- makes it an upbeat story.

See, there's my problem. There are things about MoS that I really loved, but that just made me more upset by the things about it that I really, really hated. It could've been the best Superman movie of all time, except for some things that it got so staggeringly, painfully wrong that they ruined the rest of it for me.

So I don't know what to expect. There's some hope that Snyder may have faced some of the mistakes he made in MoS and tried to correct them here, and if that's so, I might really appreciate this film for that effort. But who knows what other mistakes he might make? I'm really torn about this one.

Or maybe they'll go the same route as the Birds of Prey TV series (also set years after Batman's retirement) and portray Batman as someone who operated mainly in secret and was never more than an urban legend. There's some precedent for that in the comics of the late '80s or early '90s, I think, even though it didn't always make sense when Batman was a member of the Justice League in other comics coming out at the same time. (Interestingly, it's also the way the Adventures of Superman radio series from the '40s handled Superman for its first couple of years.)

Good idea. That would've been better.

As it was, you could've cut out virtually all of the city destruction without sacrificing a single plot point or line of dialogue. Most of it was purely gratuitous CGI overspending, done more for the trailers than for the actual movie itself. That kind of pointless self-indulgence is the main thing I'm afraid of in the sequel.

Superman is running at Batman at normal human speed? I hope that something's happened to depower him, or that doesn't really make much sense.

It means she has to work harder at the gym, but I'd call that a point in her favor, because we can tell that she's really earned it.

The people to feel sorry for are her stunt doubles. Stuntwomen have it harder than stuntmen, because they often have to do stunts in skimpier outfits and can't use the same amount of protective padding as the men. (It's like they used to say about Ginger Rogers -- she did everything Fred Astaire did, but backward and in high heels.)

10. SalvorHardin

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8JtlKJe8g[/yt]

11. Christopher

"Rubber bullets. Honest."

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer in IMAX and it was pretty cool. It's always fun to see Batman in IMAX - plus, the extra few seconds at the end were badass. People that attended got a pass to see the film in IMAX a week early. So that was really neat.

[​IMG]

We also got these exclusive posters that were only handed out at the event - until people sell them on ebay or WB decides to officially release them.

[​IMG]

I was one of those that thought Man of Steel was decent but not great. However, during repeat viewings, my outlook on the film has improved slightly. I'm just hoping Snyder has learned from some of the mistakes he made on the last movie. The fact that Oscar-winning screenwriter Chris Terrio co-wrote the script instills some confidence. So I hope the movie will be good. As a Batman fan, I can't help but anticipate it. I just hope the film compensates me for my unabashed Batman love.

13. SalvorHardin

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVc8iBEDvg[/yt]

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole concept is a contrivance so best to suspend disbelief liberally.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's awfully nice of Superman to run at Batman at normal speed.

16. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Does Cavill's Superdouche actually have superspeed though? Re-watching Man of Steel awhile back I noticed that Clark never actually uses it - hell, we even see him hitching to places instead of just running wherever he needs to go ala Smallville.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Nice to be able to see the colors in the WW costume.

18. Christopher

He is shown flying at superspeed in MoS, though. That's my point -- why does he run at Batman instead of flying at him? He could take off and knock Batman out before Bruce could take a single step.

19. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

He also uses it in the battle in Smallville when he dodges something, I don't remember what.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought it was hard to miss how most of the hand to hand combat between the Kryptonians was done at superspeed. Supes didn't seem quite as adept at it as Zod and his men, but he still engaged in it at times.