Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which would be consistent with the continuities of several Godzilla movies, most notably Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and GMK. Others, such as the original Showa-era film sequels and the 2002-3 Mechagodzilla duology, depict a second adult member of the Godzilla species emerging after the original was killed. The '80s/'90s Heisei-era continuity was ambiguous; from what I can tell, the first and third films in that sequence treated it as the original Godzilla returned, but by the final film, it was assumed that it was a second one. (My preferred interpretation was that they initially believed it was the original but eventually figured out, between films, that it was a second.)

The two remaining distinct Japanese continuities are more ambiguous. I'm inclined to put the rather vague Godzilla 2000 continuity in the "regenerated original" category, because it introduces the concept of Godzilla's miraculous regenerative capability which is elaborated on in Megaguirus and GMK (despite those being separate realities), and to put Final Wars in the "second Godzilla" category because it's basically an offshoot of the Showa continuity that diverges before Godzilla's "reform" into a good guy in the '60s.

Based on that plot summary, G2014 could go into either category. If it's a pre-existing kaiju being awakened, it could be the regenerated original or it could be a second member of the same species.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Heisei Godzilla was pretty established to be the Lagos island dinsaur which was mutated by a nuclear bomb test that destroyed the island. However the Godzilla seen in Godzilla Raids Again has a mysterious origin, but clearly there's a connection made between the '54 and '84 versions of the monster.

3. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

In the Heisei films the '54 Godzilla was the Lagos Island dinosaur who was mutated by an H-Bomb test. The Godzilla in the films after Biollante was from the same dinosaur just displaced in time and mutated by nuclear waste. Time travel, even less consistent in the Godzilla films. But that leaves the question of where the Godzilla is from that was in '85 and Biollante.

4. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Heisei series features at least two separate creatures called Godzilla, not counting the one born from an egg in "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla". "Godzilla vs. Destroyer" establishes that the '54 Godzilla was killed by the oxygen destroyer in that timeline. We're never told where it came from, except the theories put forth in the original movie.

The second Godzilla is the Lagos Island dinosaur, and Miki Saegusa confirms that the dinosaur is the Godzilla she knew in Biollante, which is clearly the same creature as in the '84 movie since it comes out of the same volcano that that Godzilla fell into.

5. Christopher

^Right. Destroyer makes it clear that it's a second Godzilla. This is inconsistent with what G vs. King Ghidorah claimed, and the 1984 film seemed to treat it as the revived original without explanation (at least according to the English subtitles). So there's an inconsistency in the Heisei films. Hence my rationalization (which DWF should be aware of already since I put it forth in the Heisei-films discussion on another BBS we both belong to) that the belief in the early films that it was the original Godzilla was determined to be a mistake by the time Destroyer came around.

There's no "mysterious origin" to the Raids Again creature. In the original film, Godzilla is explained simply as a living fossil, a dinosaur that's survived in the ocean depths for millions of years like the coelacanth. It wasn't created by the nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands, just displaced from its natural feeding grounds and made radioactive. Dr. Yamane speculates at the end of the film that there could be other such creatures out there; after all, if one survived, it's logical there could be more. In Raids Again, Yamane returns in a brief scene to give exposition, and explicitly identifies the new monster as dai-ni no Gojira, "a second Godzilla."

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I don't see how what's stated in King Ghirdrah is inconsistant with Destroyer, if anything it's the other way around. And yes Dr. Yamane comfirms in Godzilla Raids Again that the creature is a second member of the Godzilla species so it's not the same creature and it became the Showa Godzilla. But in the first movie the theory was that Godzilla was a hybrid creature a connection between land and water dinosaurs but presented no explaination as to how the creatures survived to the present day.

The Heisei Godzilla is the Lagos island dinosaur, remade in the 1991 movie to be more powerful than before, whatever inconsistances that came from the 1991 is hte result of the last two movies of the series not being consistant with events in it.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

New poster:
    [​IMG]

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Less than 3 months away?!

For some reason I thought it was going to be July or August.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Christopher

If that image is to scale, then going by the height of the Transamerica Pyramid, Godzilla would be nearly 420 meters (1380 feet) tall. That's rather outrageous, since the tallest he's ever been in previous movies was 100 meters. (He started out at 50 meters, was ramped up to 80 in the 1984 reboot, grew to 100 in 1992, and went back to 80 in the 1999 reboot.)

But I guess the poster's exaggerating. In the trailers, he's not towering over the tallest buildings like that, but is short enough that his head can be seen through the windows of one of them. Some rumors and estimates put him at up to 200 meters, while other estimates based on the trailers suggest 120-150 meters.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

150 meters is what I think they're aiming for in the movie itself, consistent with the live action we have.

All posters exaggerate, Into Darkness' had the Vengeance about a mile long and about 50 times bigger than the Enterprise, so yeah.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The new Godzilla has made the cover of the lastest issue of Empire and it's possibly the best look at him.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

13. Christopher

It sounds a lot like the original roar slowed down. I'm not saying it is that, but it has a similar structure/timing to that. I'd like to hear it sped up and see how it compares.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's impressive, but it does sound a bit drawn out. The problem isn't necessarily the length, but how stretched the middle section is with little or no variation.

15. Christopher

I would imagine that, as with the original, there are variations on the roar for differing circumstances, with some longer or shorter than others.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe it's his "death sigh" as he dies at the end of the movie? :techman:

17. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

oooooh, looks a little more classic Godzilla. I like it :)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it, but I do have to agree with you. It does seem a lot longer than the ones from the earlier movies.

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain