The trouble with trailers for 3D films.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

........is that they need to be attached to a 3D movie.

What's coming up in the next few months that is going to be released in 3D? JJ will want to show off what's he done won't he?

That aside, 3D equals effects which equals a focus that just isn't Trek, Trek is character driven and there's another thread here which went off at a bit of a tangent about the possibility that the film could turn out to be a stinker. A stinker because the focus is all wrong, 3D could exacerbate this and there's some conjecture that Quinto may have hinted at this.

I'm actually feeling extremely nervous about this.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

The trailer will be 2D probably also don't forget, Abrams didn't want it to be in 3D, Paramount made him. Also, it's dangerous to assume that because it'll be in 3D, it'll suck because we really don't know what the hell it'll be about.

We must wait for more information.

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

urgh

I hate 3d....when I saw Avengers in 3d, it was just a complete waste of money.its like Paramount 3d films sucks just like GI JOE 2 will suck and they pushed that film back 6-12 months to convert it to 3D

Only james cameron (Avatar) and martin scoresese (Hugo) can pull off 3D films. I hope JJ joins the rank though since Trek 2013 is in 3D.

4. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I'm not crazy about 3D. But what I've noticed is the focus in 3D has shifted from concentrating on gratuitous, in-your-face, jump-out-at-the-camera 3D to simply a more realistic depth. So I'm not too worried about the 3D changing the emphasis from character. At least no more than it already was.

5. Transwarp Drive

And you know all this how?

You said we need to wait for more info.

IMAX and 3D is a fact, it sends a very specific message.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate 3D.

But there will be a wonderful wonderful wonderful 2D dvd that will be with me long after I throw away my dorky glasses.

7. Transwarp Drive

I wear dorky glasses normally, to have to wear a pair of dorky glasses on top of a pair of dorky glasses to watch a dorky movie with lots of other dorks seems a bit............excessive...........to me.

Hmmmmm.

8. teacake

Yeah it is horrible wearing them over glasses, I concur. No one seems to give a shit about this issue presumably because glasses are less common these days.

9. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not all 3D movies always have 3D trailers. It is quite possible that there will be a 2D version of the trailer (to be shown in 2d theaters).
    I mean, there will be TV commercials in 2D (maybe even a big one during the Superbowl, like last time), so why not a trailer in 2D?

...And, yes. Abrams said he would have preferred the movie to be in 2D, but Paramount overruled him.

10. Transwarp Drive

The teaser trailer to this movie will be first shown in 3D, its too big a movie for the studio to do otherwise. What's coming out in the next 8 weeks or so, in 3D, that Paramount can use?

There will be a trailer attached.

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure this is correct. I've been to 3D films when, during the previews, I noticed some random previews were not in 3D. Upon removing the glasses sure enough, a 2D preview set among 3D previews.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. teacake

Is this movie being shot (yeah that is probably the wrong way to say it, whatever Avatar did) in 3D or is it being made in 2D and rendered into 3D later like we got with TPM this year?

13. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I read somewhere that the movie was shot in 2D for the most part, and that only some special scenes were shot in 3D.

14. teacake

BLEH. It will look like a pop up book.

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams shoots his movies on 35mm film. 3D cameras are digital-only, so the film will not be natively 3D.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, since I'm gonna be seeing this trailer for the first time on youtube recorded off someone's phone (as I did the first STXI one... good times. A car chase? This isn't Star Trek!! "My name is James Tiberius Kirk!":eek:), I hope it's 2D cos otherwise I'll be going cross-eyed trying to see whats happening.

17. teacake

How soon you have forgotten the dune buggies!

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Those poor bastards having to post-convert lens flare ridden shots to 3D.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They just need people standing on either side of the screen, with 1000w flashlights, flashing them in sync with the movie.:D

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't care about a 3-D trailer since I'm going to do my damndest to see this movie in 2-D. 3-D glasses are like wearing sunglasses in the movie theatre.