AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would've been kinda cool if after the portal closes, all the Chitauri turn around and look at the re-grouped Avengers with a kind of "Oh, shi..." expression. Then fade to black and cut to post-battle.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The army certainly had a biological component to them. We see their "faces" sometimes when they growl/snarl at the camera and they were clearly biological typical alien-invader faces.

Indeed. There was a shawarma sign on the far wall.

It was a fun, entertaining, tent-pole movie that's been built up for the last four years featuring popular comic book characters. This movie is something no one would have thought was possible to see happen just 10 years ago when "Spider-Man" basically revived the superhero movie trend.

The movie was filled with good, fun, action (that was comprehensible), fun characters that were well played and Scarlet Johansson's ass in tight leather.

Yes, people over overwhelmingly loved it because it lived up to (or surpassed) everything we've been building up to since Iron Man came out and we knew they were establishing a Marvel Cinematic Universe for an Avengers movie.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I didn't know what anyone else voted before I voted, so I don't know how it's a herd mentality. Maybe a telepathic herd, which would be the coolest herd ever.

4. Trekker4747

Yeah. "Herd mentality."

I went and saw this movie after only seeing some reviews (both her and professional) and came out of this movie having loved it. It was just an awesome time in the theater.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I had no idea what anyone else voted before registering my vote. But Othello should feel free to insult the people who disagree with him. Free speech, and all that.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Or maybe we all feel it's that good for reasons you just don't see or agree to. And that's fine, just saying a sideways insult isn't going to add anything to the discussion.

Are all the movies with 90% or better on RT herd mentality?
    Toy Story 3
    The Dark Knight
    Star Trek('09) ;)

Just some recent examples.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

9. Trekker4747

Wow. Some great concept art in there! I like the one of Thor on the Chrysler Building's spire.

If there's one design complaint I have it's that I think the Helicarrier's bridge was a bit overdesigned and elaborate. (And wildly "overstaffed") The Star Trekian/Defiant-like captain's command center also was just odd to me.

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got dragged out by friends after deciding Avengers wasn't on my must-see list. I enjoyed it a helluva lot more than any film I've seen recently. I voted here without first checking poll results and gave it an A+.

We've now entered the phase where the movie is so successful that wanna-be hipsters get to make condescending remarks about those of us who are having a good time. [shrugs] Oh well, everyone needs a hobby, I guess. Cheers, Othello! Know that even though we're having a blast talking about the film and seeing it over and over, you're a far, far better man than the rest of us uneducated bumpkins swilling the moonshine equivalent of entertainment.

Well, Star Trek was. ;) [ducks]

11. Trekker4747

14 years from now:

"Avengers only did $3B in the box office because of lonely comic-book fanboys who went to see the movie 10 times just to look at Scarlet Johansson's ass!"

That, or -you know- it's a really good fucking movie.

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With an open portal there was no way to know just how many enemy could come pouring through before Thor, Ironman and the Hulk were overwhelmed. To be far even if the National Guard was mobilized before the breech it wouldn't be able to handle a proper earth army with presumably a lower level of technology should it appear in New York. They would have neither the heavy equipment in place nor the ammo for an extended fight.

The enemy was not contained, they had poor generalship and fought Captain America's battle as they went after the Avengers as if they were the only resistance Earth could put up. Yet it was a small point for me of how ground combat Guardsmen could get into the fight in numbers before air units turned up to help Ironman.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think anyone is claiming this movie is perfect (most have already acknowledged that the plot isn't the deepest or most complex), but that doesn't mean it still can't be fun and entertaining as hell to watch.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Asgardian incident happened "last year" according to Nick Fury's dialogue in the movie. And it's pretty obviously not winter in New York City during that final battle. I's say that timeline needs some adjusting.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, we did have a couple weeks in February when the weather was really nice. :p

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This is about the end-end credits shot in The Avengers
    [​IMG]

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^yep, we know.

18. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it in IMAX 3D tonight. Loved it, and I'm not huge comic book / superhero movie kinda guy.

19. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I forgot to mention the 3D in my post about the movie. (again, I really liked it - an A- grade).

But, please, Hollywood. Just stop with the crappy post conversions. I'm a HUGE 3D fan if done right. But there were so many shots that had improper 3D. Many reviewers have stated that Avengers was a great conversion. I disagree. Better than some, but still not good enough IMO for a truly immersive and consistent 3D experience of films shot in 3D.

The problem with 3D conversions is that the people doing it have too large of a temptation to really exaggerate 3D effects by making the ocular (eye) distance too large. An example: An early shot of a bridge in NY literally looked like a 12 inch scale model, due to the exaggerated 3D effect. And the effect varies so much from scene to scene. The scene where Loki first appears in the film is also terrible - his forehead looks very close to the camera, while his mouth looks 6ft away. Very odd looking.

I *will* see Avengers again (more than once), but I will definitely seek out 2D showings.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw it a second time (this time in 3D), and enjoyed it even more than before. The issue I had with it being a bit slow and talky in the middle somehow didn't bother me at all this time.

The only complaint I still DO have is just with the lackluster score. It's decent enough and gets the job done, but much as with the Captain America movie, I think it REALLY needed something more thrilling and exciting to take it to that extra level. Maybe something less modern, and more romantic and epic like a Superman or Rocketeer score.