Storage Wars

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jan 6, 2011.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Same thing with Pawn Stars... From what I hear from family members in Vegas, you can hardly get into their shop now and it's almost like Antiques Roadshow with people lining up to have their stuff apprasied.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh I know it, though the couple of times I've seen this happen I've seen the landlord just dump a rent abandoner's stuff in the parking lot while they were away for the day and then, well, humanity shows its ugly head.

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this show, but got tired of the reruns. I'll catch the new season.

Pawn Stars? We went there while in Vegas. The Old Man, Rick, Corey, and Chum can't even go to their own store without ruining business for the day. Oh, the "I'll buy it (something worth $200) for $100 but I'll be selling it to the first person offering $110"? Um...nope. Those prices aren't cheap.

I don't bother with the CSI-type variations of these shows.

But "Auctions Hunters" is great. Allen and Ton? Very cool guys. If it fires a projectile, blows something up, or destroys something, Ton loves it. If it moves fast, Allen's a happy camper. If you like the other , similar shows, try this one.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Auction Hunters" is the Spike TV one right? I've seen a couple of episodes, and thought it was okay. I absolutely can't stand "Storage Hunters". Talk about contrived drama...this show seems to be based on it.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's it. I like the camaraderie between them, their enthusiasm (they're geeks), and that they set a limit of what they're willing to pay and stick to it--well, Ton went over recently, but it worked out okay.

Storage Hunters? Nope. You're right. Tired of "fake reality." Or at least REALLY fake reality.

6. Trekker4747

:lol: (Watching the new episodes.)

I love Barry.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Reality TV - secretly filmed in another reality. ;) :D

8. Admiral_Young

This guy Jeff is like the "nice" version of Dave IMO.

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That Jeff guy seemed to not show up (or be part of the cut) once Dave 'returned' somewhat. Probably just needed someone to fill some scenes.

Although I think it may also have been part of an attempt by Dan(auctioneer guy) to show some 'love' to some of his other regular customers. I'm sure there are regulars who show up to his auctions, but aren't part of the show's case who may be getting annoyed at the show's "cast" taking over the auctions and getting preference when it comes to bidding/attention at the auctions.

BTW, did anyone see last week in Florida that a company which buys storage units bought one and it had human remains in it? Hundreds of them in jars and storage bins. Apparently it was owned by an ex-medical examiner who it would appear illegally collected some of his work.

That would be a pretty twisted find.

10. Admiral_Young

Darrell mentioned in one of the two end of season specials they had, that he has found dead people in lockers before. IRRC Brandi and Jarrod stated the same thing.

11. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\Sounds like an ideal CSI crossover.:cool:(too bad I can't make this smilie rip off his shades David Caruso style).

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Resurrecting this thread to post this:

Full story here.

It's funny because Hester was actually the beneficiary of at least of one the planted items mentioned (the newspapers). I can't remember if he got the BMW or not, but I think it may have been Barry.

13. Trekker4747

Honestly, how much can we trust what Hester says?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't say I'm surprised to hear this. I've always assumed that all reality TV is rigged. It's the only way they could possibly get ratings.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, reality TV is always scripted on some level. I wouldn't be surprised if the showrunners planted items to be found.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

THIS is true reality TV:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeSHL_FPUeI[/yt]

17. Admiral_Young

I'm not surprised by that story at all. I doubt Dave would lie about that. I think one of the reasons why they always show the bolt cutter is to attempt to make it clear to us that these lockers haven't been tampered with at all. Although I suppose they could always rebolt a locker??

18. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they could plant things before they go through them.

It's not surprising to me it's staged. Why wouldn't it be? It's a stretch of the imagination that at every auction they film 3 lockers are bought by stars of the show and something worthy of being taken to an "expert" is found in every locker they buy.

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We all knew what was going on, but I always liked the fact that Storage Wars made an effort to cover it up. That Auction Hunters show doesn't even try; the buyer walks in and finds a brand new car under the couch cushions or some nonsense that would never happen.

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hester? Why did it have to be Hester? Is the fatuous gasbag actually the most morally well-adjusted to blow the whistle on the show? I guess there was a point where other cast members expressed concerns, but they don't seem to be mentioned in any of the articles I've seen about this.

Barry - arguably my favorite character on the show. Always showing up with something bizarre and quirky. Honestly, where does he find some of the shit he shows up with? That aluminum dome-boat on wheels was beyond belief. And yes, anyone who can get Hester to blow a fuse on camera is #1 in my book! :)

Jarrod & Brandi - He is obviously an idiot and, while she is clearly smarter than him, she doesn't have to rub it in every episode. She is not without her past mistakes, either. It doesn't matter to me if it's a woman doing it to her husband or a guy doing it to his wife, but I generally don't get terribly entertained by public denigration. She clearly has no respect for him and I find that quite sad, as I don't think he's especially aware of her contempt for him. Unless, of course, it's all a scripted part of the show, then...feh...

Darrell - he's another one like Hester who thinks he's smarter than he really is. Some of the stupid shit that comes out of his mouth and falls on the floor makes me wonder if he graduated from grammar school. Two sides of the same coin, him and Hester. If his son could get out from under his thumb, junior could do pretty well as he seems to have some intelligence and knowledge there.

Mark - eh...another self-absorbed fuckwit. Pretty useless with his cash-ladened man-purse and bodyguard goons. Probably why he doesn't show up much on the shows.

Nabila - I like her. She's smart and dangerous and doesn't flaunt it nearly at Brandi's level of narcissism. THIS is how everyone should conduct business on the show, fake or not.

Jeff - A whiner - another semi-useless participant. Constantly complaining about preferential treatment for the other bidders. A big fat "whatever".

Never seen an episode of the Texas Storage Wars series but I hear it's damn near unwatchable.