Peanut Butter on Hamburgers...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by royalfan5, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think shredded cabbage would be an excellent addition, goes very well with satay.

3. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

On burger? Uh, no. Probably shouldn't either since it seem these days a normal burger even is really bad for me.

PB and banana sandwiches though? Really? I've never been a huge fan of banana though...

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Have you tried honey roast peanut butter? It's the best.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Oh hell yes. There's a place near me that makes freshly ground honey roasted pb -- like, they grind it in front of you fresh. It is on my list of foods I am not allowed to buy, because I could eat it all with a spoon in one sitting, and I don't want to get fat!

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Back when my power was out for four days I ate nothing but peanut butter sandwiches the whole time. Even I got sick of the stuff by then. :lol:

7. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I think the big issue is liabilities due to people with peanut allergies. Who wants to get sued?

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

People with a peanut allergy are going knowingly eat something with peanut butter in it?

Besides most places post "contains nuts" somewhere--even if it's not always easy to find.

9. teacake

That's true, and if you have a life threatening peanut allergy you won't be eating at a fast food that has peanut butter as an option. You just don't know when some is going to end up on a grill or whatever.

10. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Some people can be so severely allergic that just smelling peanuts is enough to cause a deadly throat-swelling-shut reaction.

11. thestrangequark

I'm like that with homeopaths.

12. teacake

You need more dilution tsq, MORE DILUTION!!!

13. thestrangequark

^But that will just make it STRONGER!

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Pick any food item. Look hard enough and you'll find someone who's deathly to allergic to it. By your logic restaurants should serve nothing.

Peanuts happen to be one of the more common allergies. They are also a ubiquitous culinary ingredient. Proprietors have strict guidelines and regulations that are set by the law. These rules ensure, to the best of their ability, that accidents and cross-contamination do not occur. There will always be mistakes, of course, but completely omitting a common component simply out of fear of legal action is silly. Plus, some of the responsibility must fall on the consumer.

15. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

^True, but peanut allergies seem to be one of the more deadly ones. I really feel bad for kids who have to watch what they touch because they might have a reaction off somebody who ate peanut butter three hours ago and touched a doorknob. It's so sad.

There are planes that don't serve peanuts because of the allergy problems.

And what about people who keep Kosher? Oh man...there's a can of worms!

Sorry for the threadjacking! @__@;;

16. thestrangequark

^It's a crappy situation, sure, but I wouldn't stress to much about it. I've had to be careful about what I eat since I was a kid, one learns to deal with it.

17. teacake

Whose logic? Don't look at me, I only eat at asian places and if you were asian and allergic to peanuts you wouldn't make it out of infancy. I'm just saying I understand if a fast food place that has advertised itself as nut free would choose not to suddenly include a nut product in its menu. Also while fast food places may be strongly procedural in their cooking a regular cafe or restaurant isn't. If you have a deadly allergy you don't even think about eating there.

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I like ALL of those. Especially olives and feta cheese in a Greek salad. Absolutely mahvelous!

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell naw. Ain't nobody putting anything other than cheese, mayo, mustard, mushrooms, bacon, BBQ sauce, or onion rings on my hamburger.

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Not all at once, I hope.

I'll order a burger with ketchup OR mustard OR mayo OR barbecue sauce, but only one dressing per burger.