I started watching Babylon 5 for the first real time

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bigdaddy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No it most definitely was not. Filming in widescreen was not done until the series go-ahead and John Flinn becoming the director of photography.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wrong show. :-p

On Futurama ask was replaced with I think "ast". It was introduced in the Christmas Story and at least once a season is still used.

3. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Oh okay - the other half is a HUGE Futurama fan but I find it a bit too random and kooky.

Have they ever done any B5 stuff on Futurama?

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The TV sets were mastered from the HD broadcast tapes that were created for Sci-Fi in 1998. So if you ever see the series broadcast in HD you are seeing the exact same masters as on the DVD.

And don't listen to others who say that "The Gathering" wasn't shot in widescreen. It was shot in exactly the same way as the rest of the series, and there were never any anamorphic lenses used.

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Well, no...it wasn't.

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-8119

Jan

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I heard it was shot in 3D Cinerama 70mm and scored by The Police with a Wurlitzer organ!
    :D

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Man, *nobody* can keep a secret anymore! :lol:

Jan

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

The things you learn these days.........

9. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The widescreen versions weren't done in 1998. TNT reran the full screen versions. Sci-Fi channel didn't do the widescreen versions until 2000.

Why would sci-fi channel get every episode converted *except* for the pilot if it was done that way? That makes no logical sense.

And they did do a faux widescreen with it at the time by just cropping the top and bottom. If one has seen the two-part split of 'The Gathering' they would have seen this version.

Also here's an earlier quote from Joe from 1992:

10. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

FWIW, at the left and right edges of the 16:9 video screen on this 50 cents widescreen "The Gathering" dvd, there are narrow vertical black bars.

I took out a measuring tape and measured the video screen ratio without the vertical black bars. This hand measurement is approximately a 1.73 or 1.74 actual video screen ratio.