Endless list of Treklit trivia

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 19, 2011.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Random, specific tidbits of trivia from Star Trek books, comics, etc. Just for fun. No big spoilers. It doesn’t matter if they fit into current continuity or not. If you add one, include a citation.

The Kikmu and the Petraw were using quantum torpedoes over a century before the Federation. (Gateways #1: One Small Step)

One of Dr. Pulaski’s ex-husbands was Bajoran. (Double Helix #2: Vectors)

1000 years ago, a plague killed 90% of the Nausicaan population. (Double Helix #2: Vectors)

Sulu was born on Alpha Mensa Five (Spock: Messiah!) (according to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Sulu was born in San Fransisco)

The largest gas giant in Federation space is called “T’Pol’s World” (Captain’s Peril)

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The original feud between Tellarites and Andorians began when Tellar's new world-government was presented the sacred colAndor scrolls by an Andorian delegation - then refused to give them back. (Gateways: Doors Into Chaos) (It's not really explained, but I wonder if the Tellarites were simply taking the opportunity to start a really big argument and then became offended when the Andorians misread their Civil overtures as true aggression?).

The three Andorians who crewed the original Kumari were Shetthius, Shintral, and Chorna (Mission Gamma: Twilight -- the three are named as the first Andorians to circumnavigate their globe. Enterprise later named the first ship to do so as Kumari).

In one of those "astonishing coincidences", Nausicaans apparently worship "the Four Winds". (Warpath). Or is "Nausicaan" some Human translator's take on a name meaning "people of the wind?"

Tiburonian scholars have a reputation, at least among Humans, for being brilliantly clever but "difficult" (Double Helix: Quarantine). Interesting, given the Tiburonians' love-hate relationship with science (Unspoken Truth) and the depiction of their homeworld as both aggressively "progressive" scientifically/technologically while supporting large traditionalist tribes like Ledrah's (Titan: The Red King).

Deep blue is a colour associated with royalty among Thallonians - only the Imperial Family may wear it (Double Helix: The First Virtue). I wonder how imperious the UFP emblem looks to Thallonian eyes?

The leader of the Holy Order of the Kinshaya is the Pontifex Maxima; as the title suggests, typically a female. The current PM is Ykredna. (The Struggle Within) And another nation has its government fleshed out! Now, who leads the Sheliak Corporate? For all I know, it's Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Deranged Nasat

I assume the implication is supposed to be that their social infrastructure collapsed because of this? That whatever systems of government and law they had in place beforehand were replaced by lawless might-makes-right mentality, roving bands of survivors, etc? And this set the tone for what followed. Hence why an advanced spacefaring species now seems composed largely of thugs and violent gangs?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AFAIK the leader of the Sheliak is called a 'Director' and the general population are the 'Membership'.

5. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Spock graduated from Starfleet Academy at the age of 19, having completed an accelerated course of study especially prepared for Vulcan cadets. (Vulcan's Glory)

Prior to his service aboard the Enterprise under Captain Pike, Spock served as an assistant science officer aboard a space cutter for three years, and then an additional two years serving as third officer aboard the USS Artemis, under Captain Daniels. (Vulcan's Glory)

In its early days, Starfleet had a policy of recruiting "highly intelligent individuals". However, following a Vulcan report on the pitfalls of that particular policy, Starfleet Academy recruited a class of students with "limited intelligent agility". Among this class was James T. Kirk. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture novelization)

During his time at the Academy, Leonard McCoy served as Kirk's dorm monitor and, on at least one occassion, caught the younger man sneaking out to an inappropriate party. (The Captain's Table: War Dragons)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The refit USS Enterprise had a crew wide BBS. (Spock's World)

7. Mr. Laser Beam

I can't remember which novel this was, but some of the Enterprise crew in TOS literally had no first names, only last.

8. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

The Cetacean probe's builders more closely resembled dolphins rather than whales (Probe)

The Ice Age on Earth was caused by Q diverting an asteroid into the Sol system (The Q Continuum)

The El-Aurians were the first species assimilated by the Borg (Vendetta - we cannot be sure, but it's since been rendered unlikely by both live action productions and the novels)

9. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Destiny has rendered that last point moot.

10. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

As did the VOY episode "Dragon's Teeth" where it's claimed that the Borg have been around for over 700 years. And if you remember in "Time's Arrow" - which takes place in the 19th century, Guinan says that she is hiding from her father on Earth, suggesting that the El-Aurian homeworld is still around. It was essentially rendered moot before TNG even ended!

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

During his time as First Officer of the heavy cruiser USS El Dorado, Kirk served under a legendary Andorian captain, Prince Fiawol, who was also Subarch of Trexlor. (Note that FIAWOL is an acronym, ie. he is named for the science fiction fans' catchphrase, "Fandom is a way of life".)

The crew of this ship represented an experimental mix of many races (predating USS Titan) and was 23 percent Andorian, according to a book entitled Starship Crewmen Under Stress by Dr David Marano [according to the chapter "Kirk" in Star Trek II Biographies by William Rotsler, Wanderer, 1982].

12. F. King Daniel

I guess so - but it would mean the Nausiccans were in space ten centuries ago!
    I think that's Gene's TMP novelization. In vaguely related trivia, according to early Best of Trek books, at conventions in the 70's, George Takei claimed Sulu's first name was Walter.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Number One's name was... Number One.

(several books)

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

:wtf: Which ice age? There have been at least five major ones.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. As most people only think or know about the most recent one, I assumed it would be that one.

Unless it made planet fall, I'm not sure how an asteroid being diverted into the system would cause problems on Earth given the shear amount of them in the system already.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

And in that vein, the Andorian government is a constitutional monarchy that lacks a monarch. Thalisar the Last was the monarch who united Andor's warring clans, creating the Parliament Andoria and then deliberately dying childless, preventing the ascension of a new sovereign. The Andorian monarchy is now known as the Empty Throne. (Andor: Paradigm.) In the 22nd Century, the Andorian government was headed by a Chancellor (ENT: "The Aenar"), but by the 24th Century, the Andorian head of government was known as the Presider, elected by the Parliament Andoria (Andor: Paradigm, The Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony.) The primary Andorian political parties are the Modern Progressive Party and the Andorian Visionist Party. Federation Councillors are determined as part of the Andorian cabinet by whichever party controls a majority of seats in the Parliament Andoria. (Andor: Paradigm.)

17. F. King Daniel

As of 2364, the Federation had a combined population of 589 trillion and encompassed 2401 planets. (Star Trek TNG Officer's Manual)

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Always a female. According to the system Keith developed, females are responsible for government and internal matters, males for the military and external matters. (Rough Beasts of Empire established a male Kinshaya ambassador, so I figure diplomacy is lumped together with military stuff under the "external" category.)

Also,
    As of late November 2382, that should be "was" rather than "is."

19. Deranged Nasat

Ah, so that was always the intent with the Kinshaya, was it? I did wonder what role the females played while reading A Singular Destiny, seeing as the Kinshaya characters in that book were exclusively male. So KRAD already had the answer, and established the structure of their society "behind the scenes"? You turned it from "Word of God" (to borrow from TV Tropes) into fully established "fact"? I like that sort of communication between writers; it makes the Trek lit universe that more cohesive and "smooth". :)

I didn't realize it was quite so absolute; I sort of assumed you had the odd exception in terms of where a Kinshaya of a given sex ended up. I don't know why I got that idea.

I suppose given the Kinshaya's pre-Pact disinterest in diplomacy or the wider galaxy it makes sense that anything external be placed in the same category (pertaining to "outside the circle", I assume?).

Ah, yes. :) Forgot about that.

20. Deranged Nasat

What other systems of determining a councillor have been established?

Andorian Empire: As above.
    Third Republic of Bajor: Personally nominated by the First Minister, needing to be confirmed by the Chamber.
    Triex: Appointed by the Triexian Curia.
    Betazed: Popular election.
    Gnala: Popular election (so Gelemingar seems to establish in Articles)

Have any others been established? This seems like a topic that could be interesting...