Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    By not yielding to his demands and not giving him any chance to start the war in the first place? :p

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The alternative would have been to let the Nazis take over Europe, and perhaps the world. War was, quite simply, the only thing that stopped them from doing that.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Not quite on point, but close enough:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlV49RDlLE[/yt]

4. Gul Re'jal

Yes, but if Europe stood up to him before he grew strong, maybe he wouldn't be able to start this war at all.

Back to the topic :)

I also don't like when people say "it was meant to be like that." I refuse to accept that my life is written down somewhere and it doesn't matter what I want and try to do with it, because everything has been already decided.

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You mean a preemptive strike, with little evidence and a majority of the world turning a deaf ear to someone repeatedly pointing out how Germany was violating the terms of the Treaty of Versailles?

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Not to derail this thread, but I've seen worse. I knew a guy with Usher's Syndrome (a visual impairment condition where the vision field is simliar to looking through a peephole) who took driver's ed without knowing it. He almost got in an accident. His parents knew that he had vision impairments and chose not to tell him, even though he was already deaf...

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

In such cases I usually ask the person to please set their minds to being able to fly (personally, not with a plane) and then perform a few loopings for demonstrational purposes. So far nobody's willpower (or character) was sufficient to sprout feathers :devil:

Kindof. A condome at the proper time and place would have been sufficient.

8. Gul Re'jal

What a terrible lack of character! Everybody knows that we can grow feathers if we only really want to :lol:

9. rhubarbodendron

That's an excellent example! It costs a lot of strength to allow oneself to show a weakness. Hence real men (i.e. men with a strong character, according to the stereotype) do cry. Only weaklings don't.
    Besides, all women, strong and weak ones, like it when their man needs a woman's shoulder to lean on (unless it's another woman's shoulder, of course). It appeals to our drive to protect the ones we love.
    Plus it's a completely sex-less way to snuggle. Something that most women greatly enjoy while in my experience most men inevitably consider snuggling foreplay.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Snuggling is the foreshadowing of foreplay.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

What about big girls?

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to purge your big girls reference from my ears with this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hOFOgqOds[/yt]

13. rhubarbodendron

the same. Imho there's no difference between the genders, besides the obvious physical ones.
    I'd like to have a male shoulder to lean on, now and then. Unfortunately, I am single and most people (both male and female) come to me when they need someone strong. People tend to forget that strong personalities would like to be weak, on occasion, too.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Hitler had realised that war was not the answer then we wouldn't have had to 'deal' with Hitler at all.

15. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

"His woman," "her man," and any other version of this. Being in a romantic relationship does not mean ownership of another person and I refuse to acknowledge that it does, even if the people involved don't mind, or even like, being owned. I cringe every time I hear it.

Along the same lines of "life isn't fair": "Don't hate the player, hate the game," and "All's fair in love and war." Essentially, "I'm an ass hole, but its cool because I can justify my actions with pithy phrases."

"Common sense." If something is truly common sense, it would only need to be pointed out on rare occasions. Usually when people use this phrase they're blaming others for their poor communication skills.

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the feather-growing mechanism is closely related to the one that allows us to shut the whole thing down when we've been legitimately raped. :devil: :lol:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I've never heard that one before. That's fucking creepy! :eek:

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that's the rule.:devil:

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Well, that's a bit silly, IMHO. Use of the possessive pronoun doesn't necessarily indicate ownership; it can also signify endearment.

I assume you did get the musical reference, right?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  20. rhubarbodendron

Do you mean the song "big girls don't cry" by the 4 seasons? Yep. I recall having it heard on the radio when I was a kid :) Ah, those were the days -music was still melodious, the frequencies (bases especially!) were well balanced and the drums were played by a living person, not by a computer.

I couldn't agree more. If comon sense was indeed common, there'd be much fewer problems in the world.