Happy Anniversary Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by MacLeod, Nov 23, 2014.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it is now the 23rd Novemeber, and so Doctor Who celebrates it's 51st Anniversay. It's been a series of highs and lows for the show and I doubt anyone thought when it was being made in the 1960's it would be going strong over 50 years later.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just decided to look back to see where we were at this time during the previous fifty years, specifically November 23rd of years ending with four.

In 1964, as someone mentioned in another thread Dalek Invasion of Earth had just recently begun airing.

In 1974, we were in the hiatus between seasons 11 and 12. Jon Pertwee had finished his term, and Tom Baker's was a little over a month away from beginning

1984 was the hiatus between season's 21 and 22. Colin Baker's term had already begun with The Twin Dilemma having aired the previous spring and his first full season due to premiere in the coming winter.

1994, well nothing of note here. Doctor Who had been off the air for five years and the TV movie was still two years away.

In 2004 the show's revival was very much a reality as production of Eccleston's season was underway.

And here we are, November 2014. Peter Capaldi has finished his first season and we eagerly await the now annual tradition of the Christmas special.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this is the Doctor Who forum, but with Trek's 50th anniversary coming up I really wish they would produce a documantary that was kind of like "An Adventure in Space and Time" about the making of Star Trek. Put it on CBS or let it be on Netflix but that would be a nice thing for Trek's 50th.

As for Who, I've only been around since 2005, and there's been highs, lows, and in between. I would classify this era of an in between era, but closer to the low.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9 seasons of NuWho later, the show's still going strong (although not without its hiccups in quality). Here's to Doctor Who's continued long life!

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder. If when the BBC finally decides to formally end Doctor Who, many decades from now, or when the medium of Television ends and they can't figure out how to continue it into another medium, will the CGI be good enough so that the Doctor can regenerate into Tom Baker so it can come full circle to the 50th Anniversary?

6. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will they ever end it? Big Finish proved a decent avenue for the franchise to continue.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So long as it's making money, it'll continue.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And it's making more money now than ever, I'll wager.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well there is still the possibility of The Doctor facing a villian he can't defeat, I call these The Grades. (Copyright) ;)

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, it's my constant fear that Paramount/CBS is going to totally drop the ball when it comes to Trek's 50th resulting in Trek fans looking back at Doctor Who's big hoopla and wondering "why? Why didn't our anniversary have at least half as much effort put into it?"

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately I think you're right. There isn't that array of excitement for Trek, with new movies coming out every few years. With Doctor Who you still had it as a television series and audio stuff so it was on people's radar. I fear the only way Star Trek can have a good 50th anniversary is if there is a new TV series and people are aware of it, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In regards to a new TV for ST, I suspect the best we can hope for is an announcement of a new one in 2016.