NuEnterprise armament

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Faria, May 18, 2013.

1. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

Does NuEnterprise have just those six phaser bank on the saucer section and one forward launch tube?

what if someone attack the ship from behind?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are two aft launchers built into the curve under the main shuttlebay. And as we saw in Into Darkness, there are also several torpedo launchers along the sides of the engineering hull.

3. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ship really needs to fight back in the next film.

4. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't like this things

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

But it makes sense in space, I never understood why they didn't have side firing torps on ships, it's an easy enough thing to do.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

There might be enough room in the NuEnterprise because it's so oversized but in the older ones (at least pre-C) you can't just litter it with hardpoints stem to stern without having no room left for anything else inside. Maybe a phaser-bank, but a torpedo tube takes space to store the torpedoes and/or a track to bring them from somewhere else, as well as a large enough cache to keep them loaded.

7. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

With the distance a space battle would likely involve along with ability of missiles to home in on targets it shouldn't matter where it's fired from. Although it would be useful to have more launchers considering and the ships big enough for it.

8. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, in my mind a classic stand off and battle vs a Klingon Battlecruiser is in order, they tended to be evenly matched so better than going against superior monster ships which it will be swatted by... If they want the Enterprise to be outgunned again have her square up to two or three battlecruisers which still gives her the chance to fight back and win.

9. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if this ship is supposed to have rear-firing photons - like the Defiant did in Enterprise's "In a Mirror, Darkly"...?

[​IMG]

I also wonder if it also has the long, cutting beam style of phasers too - or just the DS9 Defiant style pulse phasers?

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Why would a starship need more than one torpedo port?

Supposedly, these torpedoes should be able to guide themselves to a target regardless of its location. Target a ship behind you, fire from the front, and the torpedo should be able to turn around and get to the target, shouldn't it? We have missiles today that fly thousands of miles by themselves and guide themselves into a target. Should we expect that capability to disappear in the future?

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if that one port malfunctions or gets destroyed you're screwed. For that reason alone you should have multiple ports, spread around the ship.

12. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Very well, redundancy is an issue. Yet the idea that, say, only the port-side torpedo launcher can launch torpedos at targets on the port side is needlessly limiting. Surely submarines today can launch torpedos in a direction other than the one in which the tube faces. Or am I wrong about that point?

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's twelve on the saucer (groups of 2).

I didn't see any other phaser emitter on the ship. The TMP 1701 had an extra 6 (two above the hangar deck, and four on the bottom of the secondary hull.) The TOS model didn't have any visible emitters or launchers.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now the side mounted batteries are more of what I would call drone launchers, like what are used by Feds and Kzinti in Star Fleet Battles. I would say the neck mounted torpedoes are true energy blobs. A packet of pure photons that discharge upon impact.

The torpedoes In STiD aren't really the chicklet types that are somewhere in between.

15. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Is there a picture of this anywhere?