The Tomorrow People

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[highlight]***SPOILER DISCUSSION***[/highlight]

[​IMG]

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Thought I'd check this one out. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. We've seen this scenario before... An organization is out to do away with those who have special powers. The logic behind why they do what they do makes sense but as usual, it's based on fear. I like the twist we got though. Our main guy has decided to go to work for this organisation to bring down others like him. And the guy running the organization? His uncle, played by Mark Pellegrino (he's getting a lot of work these days). Gotta wonder, is he doing this just to infiltrate the organization? Probably. Either that or they want to play this out before he turns.

Fun Fact: The star of the show, Robbie Amell is the cousin of Stephen Amell, the star of Arrow.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weak.

The Show runner's most notable work was on Chuck, but I have no idea how good his Chuck was in the broad spectrum of all Chuck.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I thought they were brothers.

It's very derivative of the X Men. Homo superior, evolution, mutants, etc.

5. Guy Gardener

It's a remake of an English show from the early 1970s, which was full of the same ideas if not the same phraseology, where they were probably ripping off whatever 50s movie Stan Lee ripped off.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

4th version of the show in total. 70s version for ITV and BBC directed for kids, 90s version directed to kids, and 2001 version on radio.

The new version was ok so far by most sf drama standards, but is a lot more modern and watchable than the previous two tv incarnations, which include poor FX, poor makeup/aliens and shows it's kids show origins. The actors are young but not as young as the original series and that's an improvement in my book. Heroes, Alphas, were both better variations on the theme. I'll follow this awhile longer to see if it improves.

7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the lead character is in high school. Really? Really?! Cause he looks all of his 25 RL years.

The show was...okay. Not sure if I want to bother. We have so much on the dvr as it is.

8. Guy Gardener

Why was everything (the wardrobe) so beige and bland?

It's like they're refusing to do any product placement/endorsement until someone gives them money.

Or is the real world not dictated by Sheldon Cooper?

That fucker has some T-Shirts. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought he looked old enough to be a college student. This can't be a high-school superhero drama.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a feeling that John may be Jedikiah's son. The confrontation between them at ultra HQ just gave me that vibe.

This is pretty much every X-Men, Heroes, Alphas etc. cliche imaginable that we've seen countless times before so not much new here. I'm not sure I'll stick with it but I'll give it a few episodes. It certainly doesn't hurt that Peyton List and the actress who played Astrid are major hotties. :drool:

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a bad pilot. I liked the twist at the end. Not sure if I'm planning to be a committed watcher, but that twist, and the guy playing Dr. Price might turn me into one. I liked him a lot on Being Human.

Also, Steven's best friend is very cute, as is the girl in his head.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know right? They could've just said the guy was in college, no problem.

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of those "remakes" that could've actually been a decent show had it been given the chance to stand on its own feet instead of riding on another show's coattails.

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I thought so to but then I remembered the boyfriend from Good Luck Charlie, I thought he looked like he was 25, turns out he was only 16 when he started the show, he's actually younger than Bridgit Mendler who plays his girlfriend.

Some 16 year olds really look 25 and some 18 year olds look like they're 12 (like Chris Colfer when Glee started), apparently the former is just more common in tv land.;)

I like the premise of the Tomorrow people but the pilot was pretty bad, I'll watch a few more episodes but if it doesn't get better I'm out.

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The BBC had nothing to do with the 1970s TV version, that was Thames TV, which had the weekday London ITV franchise. The 90s version was also by Thames, which had by then lost its ITV franchise and turned into an independent producer that made the new version for the ITV network as a whole (before eventually being taken over by Pearson and merged with Talkback).
    And the third version wasn't, strictly speaking, radio as it was straight-to-CD (and there's an entire unreleased season of that sitting around that was made before Pearson pulled the licence so they could repitch the concept for TV).

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was awesome. :adore: Peyton List.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Love the kamehamehas...

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Welling as Clark Kent says hello. He of the "I'm 24 years old and playing a Freshman at Smallville High".

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good. It is a fairly standard Alpha's/Heroes style superhero story, but it was well done, and unique enough that I enjoyed it.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My wife and I started watching it last night and were interrupted half way through it by my daughter waking up. By the time we got her back to bed we both had no desire to finish watching the show. As my wife said, it feels like we've been there, done that. We won't be watching this one.