I've started hating the word "rehash"...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Roald, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Lindelof has suggested Q and the Borg might be used in Trek XIII... I think it would be like 'the coolest idea ever', but I see fans everywhere shouting and screaming things like: 'Why can't we have a new villain instead of REHASHING old ones?!' God, I hate that word, REHASH...

Were people screaming things like that about the Joker when people learned he would be in The Dark Knight..? The way Nolan reimagined the Joker was so brilliant, and I think The Borg, Q, even the Pakleds could be reimagined in a brilliant way... It's not a REHASH...

Rehash suggests that NEW villains are always better... Shinzon anyone..? Ru'afo..? Soran..? Nero..? All NEW villains... Personally, I'd rather see the Borg..!

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Rehash is a fair criticism because it makes the franchise seem one note. Yes Nolan's use of the Joker was amazing even though it had been done in 1989. The other side of the coin is Lex Luthor ALWAYS being used in Superman movies. The Man of Steel film is breaking that trend. However when you use and reuse the same villain or plots over and over it makes the franchise seem stagnant and uninteresting. Batman and Superman have many other villains, but the Joker and Luthor are both the most recognizable. The same thing can be said about Trek. The Borg, Klingons, Romulans are Trek's most recognizable villains. So the idea to capitalize on their notoriety is what drives the decisions to use them to get patrons in seats in theatres.

With STID we have a third movie in a row that is thematically similar to the TWOK. The other two being ST 2009 and NEM. The fans asking "can't you do something else?" is a fair question.

3. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't hate on words.
    Re-imagine, rehash, same difference.

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rehash, reboot, reimagining. All the same thing.
    I now work with computers and "reboot" is usually a good solution. When I used to manage movie theatres. "Reboot" was often not. It usually indicated a lack of creativity and original thinking. In the business it used to be called "remake".

5. Roald

Aren't all those superhero villains basically 'rehashes' of the comics? I'm not sure though, I hardly know anything about comics.

I do agree with you that we need a different type of villain for a change... Therefor I think the Borg would be great! They're like a swarm, like space zombies bent on assimilation... not a vengeful soloist like Shinzon or Nero was... (I do think STID was a little different though, with Adm. Marcus being the real villain...).

I see a great story somewhere, involving Q, Borg, Klingons, even Khan as a new crewmember.......

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am so over Q.

7. Roald

I think if they reimagine him completely and have an A-list (comedy) actor to play him, I think it could be a stroke of genius...

8. teacake

The finger snapping, the light, the foppishness and mustache twirling with no mustache.. please star trek gods, no.

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    What was wrong with DeLancie ?

Anyway, Borg maybe, Q... no. I liked Q but I don't think it would be a good idea for the movie. Of course I'd prefer something more TOS, like Klingons or the Doomsday Machine or something like that. Or something new. Anyway, I'm ok with anything so long as it's good.

10. teacake

DeLancie could easily do it now. They can just write him as manifesting his ennui by looking more worn out.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Pssh who is this Q? Don't talk to me about Trelaine either. All we need is CHARLIE X!
    j/k lol

Star Trek XIII i see them going for a Klingon/Romulan War against the Federation. A bigger go get'em action movie.

12. teacake

I want to see Alice Eve crawling down a corridor with no mouth. She'll have the same eyes as when her father's head was being crushed. Positively Ellison.

13. Belz...

Why "luckily" ? He seemed to be doing a good job with the other two.

14. Belz...

Do you have any evidence that the whacky ideas of Trek can be attributed to him specifically ?

15. teacake

What are these whacky ideas?

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then mess it up themselves.

17. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

For the next movie, I think they should have somebody steal the Enterprise and take it to the center of the galaxy. If they are going to rehash, at least rehash a crappy movie and make it better.

That's not exactly true. Part of the plot of Prometheus was from Dan O'Bannon's original draft of ALIEN. Some of which also was used in the movie Lifeforce.

18. Belz...

Do you ever have anything positive to say ?

19. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think Q did well with Picard and Janeway because they were stuffy and 'proper'.

nuKirk would probably like Q and where would the fun in that be?

20. teacake

Prime Kirk was pretty aggravated by Trelane. But true, the contrast would not be as interesting.