Alternate history tv shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jiangnan Freak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't you mean Dewey?

Anyway, thanks for mentioning Truman. I did like that biopic they did on him, The Truman Show. I wasn't expecting that Adam Sandler would have the acting chops for that film and was pleasantly surprised.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I still remember the night on the CBS Evening News, when Walter Cronkite was shot to death by Chet Huntley during a live broadcast. Huntley was sentenced to death, but pardoned by President McGovern.

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but how would the Czar have reacted? That was the idea in that old Jimmy Stewart movie, By Dawn's Early Light. (RKO, 1959). IIRC, the premise was that the Czar's forces wouldn't have stopped at Warsaw and would have rolled right over the battered American/Mexican forces that had just taken Berlin to eliminate the US military as a threat in response. Good thing the whole "atomic explosive" concept never proved feasible, cause I think Truman just might have used it if it had. He was a tough old bird.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

George Lucas changed cinema forever with the release of The Rocky Horror Picture Show(s)*. What would San Francisco Comi-con be like to this day without the overriding presence of the 501st Rocky legions?

I'm still not sure how it's going to work out now that Hensen has bought out Lucas Film. A new Picture Show every year???

*renamed after the sequel came out in '79.

5. Mistral

That would depend on whether Hensen keeps JJ Abrams for more than one movie, since he's already committed to the next two Firefly movies with an option to direct a third. I hear they are kicking one out every 2 years starting in 2014. So he may not have time to do more than one Picture Show.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

SciFi musicals are a dying genre. Too much autotune and CGI these days.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Adam-12, lost in a world of his own creation that he never wanted. He struggles to find the previous Adams and discover the secret that will save them all and himself.

Coming this fall on CBS. Check with your local cable provider for airdates. (but not Time Warner)

8. Nerys Myk

Time Warner? Isn't it "Life Warner"? Time magazine went out of business years ago.

9. Mistral

I know, right? What world is HE living in? ;)

10. Melakon

The first musical science fiction series was Ernie Kovacs' Star's Trek, which ran from 3 October 1955 to 30 February 1956 on the DuMont Network. Many of Kovacs' innovations with videotape were originally perfected during this series, which aired live with videotape inserts of special effects.

It told the story of spaceship Captain Bruno Bellicoso (Kovacs) as he ferried famous guest stars to different planets for personal appearances. Among those appearing were Patti Page, Kate Smith, and Julius LaRosa. Comic relief was provided by Pinky Lee as the ship's half-Martian doctor.

Unfortunately the show was in direct competition with NBC's Your Hit Parade through its brief run, and it was trounced in the ratings. The high cost of producing the series, due to Kovacs' special effects experiments, nearly bankrupted DuMont, and some critics believe it led to the network's downfall.

11. Nerys Myk

Well it's hard to beat a show where you get to hire a professional Hitman.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still remember the 1994 World Series. Yankees and Expos fought down to the wire!

13. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Earth Prime breaking in; Just discovered the Aussie series Danger 5. It's Alt-History crack. :bolian:

14. Melakon

As an aside, I think there are just too many stupid people nowadays who wouldn't be able to recognize an alternate history series as alternate history. Sort of like my then 40-year-old nephew who thought Oliver Stone's JFK was truth.

15. Nerys Myk

Odd in my world director Jack Kennedy made a film about President Oliver Stone.

16. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His sacking of Hanoi is studied by all military cadets

17. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

This was never an actual TV series but it was one I created a few years ago when I was in a fantasy network programming game where we had to create a series and write episodes and ratings were determined by voters. I posted a few synopsis here for voters and was encouraged to on the board to make a real pitch to a network or at least turn it into a graphic novel.
    I did wind up writing the graphic novel and if I ever get motivated again I will resume pitching it to a graphic novel publisher.

In short DIVERGENT POINT dealt with the idea of what if the history we live is actually THE ALTERNATE HISTORY...that a time travel experiment gone horribly wrong resulted in the crazy messy world we live in where the US actually used Atomic Bombs in WW2-MLK gets gunned down in '68 instead of becoming president in 1976...that sort of thing. And how can it be made right again.

I still have a few copies up on Wordpress if anyone who digs alternate history wants to read more about it, see some of the pages or even pick one up it can be found below.
    http://divergentpointgraphicnovel.wordpress.com/

[​IMG]

18. Melakon

Kennedy used to do a great impression of Vaughn Meader, but stopped out of respect after Meader's death.

19. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That movie with what's-his-name...the one where they totally parodied Galaxy Quest was hysterical. Can you imagine some show called "Star Trek" in real life?

In other news, we really need a salary cap in baseball. The Cubbies are just too much of a power house. I'm tired of them winning the series every year.

Vf

20. Nerys Myk

I loved the new Trek film. Matt Damon as Kirk. Ben Affleck as Spock. Gary Sinise as McCoy. perfect casting. Grinned at the nod to The Counter Clock Incident that places the film right after the last episode of TAS.