Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sure, superhuman, even at that, I'm not familiar with her leaping 40 or 60 feet, only about 15 or 20, and that's apparently a strain, from what I remember. So, yea, stronger/faster than mere mortals, but, I'm not familiar with her being Superman strong or Flash fast, which is what I meant to impart when I used the word Supernatural, rather than Superhuman (And yea, maybe, not the best of choice of words)

LOL Nrys Myk and Silvercrest

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Then you're clearly not familiar with Wonder Woman at all except from the '70s series. In comics and animation, she's always (except for the "Diana Prince Era" from '68-'73) been portrayed as being on the same power level as characters like Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i wouldn't put her at the same power level as some of those... some her her stats are equal, some are beyond, but as a whole...

Strength wise, Superman and Martian Manhunter surpass her by magnetudes

Speed wise, Superman and Flash surpass her pretty easily

Her dexterity and fighting prowess however are easily top of the league, she's got the skills to take down Batman when she's 'depowered' pretty easily, which makes her very dangerous given her abilities as a whole...

M

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She's definitely in the Superman class in strength and the Flash class in speed these days. She was said to be stronger than Heracles and swifter than Mercury even before that.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a little hard to reconcile that with the need for the bracelets, though. I mean, why bother using them if bullets just bounce off?

6. Nerys Myk

She's strong but not invulnerable for some reason. Magic works in weird ways.

7. Methos

she's not fully invunerable though...

Piercing weapons, like swords, spears, arrows, bullets, knives, etc. can pierce her skin easily... as has been shown in the comics several times.

Against blunt force attacks, flame, and pretty much everything else, she has far more resilience... it's magic, don't expect logic to explain it lol

M

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Maybe, but, I don't remember the comics of the early 70s being any different then the show, though that was spotty reading, not religiously reading every issue

Don't really remember her being SuperSuper in Superfriends either, but, it was a long time ago, so maybe I'm remembering wrong

9. Methos

I'll admit to not keeping up with her comics after the reboot, but I remember for certain a race between the two in comics in the mid 2000's, which ended with Flash leaving her in the dust...

she may be fast, but she's not connected to the DC speed force that powers Flash

M

10. Nerys Myk

Well speed is Flash's thing. He should leave everyone in dust, even Superman.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not what the official DC Wiki I linked to before says. Maybe that was true decades ago, but in the modern comics, Wonder Woman is nearly Superman's equal in strength and somewhere between Superman and the Flash in terms of speed.

After all, these are imaginary characters who've been interpreted many ways over the decades. It's not like there's some single "right" answer about how powerful they are relative to each other. It depends on which particular interpretation you're talking about.

Although I should clarify that when I said she was on "the same level" as those characters, I did not
    mean that her powers were exactly equal to theirs; that doesn't even make sense, since of course they're all individuals. What I meant is that she's in the same general class of power and efficacy as a hero, the top-grade superhuman tier rather than a Batman level or a Bane level.

These days, nostalgia, mostly. The bullet-deflecting trick was part of the original concept for the character, one of her defining traits, so they've kept it around even as they've amped up her power levels. According to the Wikipedia article I linked to above (come on, people, you can get these answers for yourselves if you just follow the links and read them -- that's what they're for), Marston's original idea in the '40s was that the Amazons got their superhuman abilities through some sort of mind-over-matter willpower thing, letting them increase the effectiveness of their muscles, but not becoming bulletproof in the process. (And of course the "bracelets" were actually shackles, a symbol of the Amazons' former enslavement and part of Marston's whole bondage-fetish thing.) As for the modern character, the DC Wiki entry gives vulnerability to piercing attacks as her one significant weakness, and it says that bullets wouldn't penetrate her muscles but can penetrate her skin. So the modern Wonder Woman doesn't technically need the bracelets to ward off death; it's more just to avoid the pain and inconvenience and minor bruising and bleeding that would result from being hit by bullets.

12. Silvercrest

Whoops, I had read the main Wikipedia article, but I missed that particular point. Makes sense.

13. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Superman is the modern equivalent to Paul Bunyan. Bionic Man strong is certainly more believable than superman strong. Steve Austen does not have to worry about his clothes burning up due to atmospheric friction when running a good highway speed of 60 miles per hour. The flash by all rights should end up completely naked every time he does MACH 25, his skin would also have to be invulnerable to this heating, and at certain speeds it becomes impossible to run, the Flash would have to fly like Superman. Superman is a more believable character than the flash, he is at once strong, fast and invulnerable, and he needs to be invulnerable to keep from burning up in the atmosphere when he goes too fast, the fact that he can fly solves the running problem that Flash has, though Superman would end up naked as his super suit burned off in the atmosphere, his suit would need to be just as invulnerable as he is.

14. Nerys Myk

Flash has an aura around his body that protects him from the side effects of moving at great speeds.

Superman's suit, in some incarnations, is from Krypton and is just as invulnerable as he is. In others, Superman's body projects an energy field that contributes to his seeming invulnerability which makes his suit virtually indestructible. His cape, which is out side of the field, tended to get shredded. Currently Superman is pretty tough but uses his cape and Kryptonian armor to make himself invulnerable.

[​IMG]

15. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

You might say Superman has a built in warp drive and deflector shields. Superman still makes more sense than Flash. Superman is strong and can run really fast. The Flash is not strong, but still he can run very fast. The Flash does not have super-hearing, so if someone an ordinary human could sneak up behind the Flash, and hit him on the head from behind with a two-by-four, he could knock him out. The Flash can only dodge something that he is aware of, his one power is speed.

16. Nerys Myk

Yeah, what's your point?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the 70s TV Show Amazons lose their powers off the island, but Wonder Woman's "Golden Girdle of Gia" allowed her to keep her powers in Man's World... Which allowed flr the inconvenience now and then that the snap on her girdle would unfasten and down power Diana at the most inopportune moments.

Did Drucilla have her own girdle?

Precrisis if you chained an Amazon's bracelets together, they'd lose all their powers, hells iif a man stepped a foot on their island, they'd all age a few millennia in some seconds and turn to dust.

18. Silvercrest

Not true; he has quite a few powers. Along with being able to move fast, he's been shown to have superfast perception and reaction time. He can see bullets coming and step aside from them. That's different than just being fast.

He also has superhuman endurance. Again, not the same as just running fast. Without it he'd be useless after running any kind of distance. What good is it to run a mile in a second if you're gasping for breath and about to pass out when you get there?

I'm not sure about other Flashes, but Barry Allen could alter the vibration of his molecules to pass through solid objects and even travel to other dimensions.

And of course, there's the aforementioned aura which protects him against friction.

That's at least five powers right there. Four of them are pretty much necessary for him to be the Flash at all; you can count the vibration thing as optional.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I've always wondered what went into those leaping effects on the 70s show. Having a stunt person jump up to the roof of a building looks difficult and pretty dangerous.

I like that explanation. It seems to fit the best with what we've seen of the character. She has extraordinary abilities, yet doesn't come off as super powered like Superman. It can also explain any inconsistencies that we might see in those abilities.

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I believe the stunt person jumps backwards off the roof of a building and lands in a net, that part is filmed except for land in the net and then is run backwards, so it looks like the hero is leaping off the ground and landing on the roof of a building. Another shot of the character making a leap from the ground is made and when completed we see Wonder woman making a leap from the ground and then the scene shifting to another angle showing her jumping to the building roof, it is actually a female stunt double who was seen leaping off the building backwards, but when the film is run backwards, it looks like she is jumping up to the roof of the building.