Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel has announced that following the end of Nick Spencer's run, they will be releasing 3 issues a month with a rotating team of writers and artists, like they did during the Brand New Day era. The writers will be Kelly Thomspon, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Zigler, Patrick Gleason, and Zeb Wells, and the artists will be announced later. The story is going to see Peter Parker step down as Spider-Man, with Ben Reilly taking over. He will be getting his own new costume, and will be backed by something called The Beyond Corporation. He's also going to be "determined to prove he is the best version of Spider-Man".
    Do people even like Ben Reilly as Spider-Man? I know most people don't seem to look back on the whole Clone Saga very fondly these days.

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the time especially, I liked Ben a lot more. Peter was a downer, angrily giving up on his personal life and focusing only on "the spider" so Ben was a breath of fresh air again. The clone saga did drag on and get dumb but I honestly preferred Ben to Peter. I liked his hoodie costume, too!

Right now it seems too close to the idea of Doc Ock trying to prove HE was the better (some might say superior) Spider-Man during that run not too long ago.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind when they were talking about Ben wanting to prove he was the best Spider-Man.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given that Nick Spencer's run has been all about undoing 'One More Day' I'm not surprised that they're going to be taking Peter out of play for a while. (I'm more surprised that they're bringing back The Beyond Corporation given that it was created by Warren Ellis.)

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And his infamy is ramping back up again, owing to new work being published by Image...?

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Spidey's been problematic for a while now and Spencer's run really hasn't helped, although I'm good with undoing One More Day.

Using Ben going forward could work, but they need to keep a tighter focus and if they do have multiple titles running, make it coherent with no stand alone spin-offs.Us

In other news, still haven't retried X of Swords and am therefore way behind on the mutant stuff.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, its not really "undoing" One More Day unless they retroactively change the timeline so that Peter and MJ were never not married, Anything else is just some lame half measure, and doesn't count. Just having Peter and MJ getting back together and maybe having a Mephisto appearance isn't undoing One More Day. If Peter expressely goes after Mephisto to get his marriage back, and then the timeline realigns like it did with OMD to retroactively make it so that Peter and MJ were always married, then I'd count OMD as being reversed.

Also, Nick Spencer is a hack and a giant asshole, so anything he does is probably just going to be utterly horrible. This is the same asshole that made Cap a nazi and then made a villain group of "SJWs", because he's a hardcore right wing nutjob. The guy is almost at Chuck Dixon levels of being worthless trash, I'm honestly shocked that he didn't leave when Perlmutter got removed, because he definitely feels like a guy that only kept his job because his boss was also the same kind of asshole.

DEWLine likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Marvel seems on a killing spree again. I've seen solicitations for books feature the deaths of
    Doctor Strange, The Scarlet Witch and Spider-man. All three slated to be in upcoming films :lol:

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Well, given how comics work, it'll probably only be temporary. ;) :biggrin:

Nerys Myk likes this.
  11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a theory that maybe

Scarlet Witch is going to be resurrected on Krakoa, revealing that she was a mutant all along.

There was a scene in one of the comics recently (not the one her body showed up in, but still during the Hellfire Gala) of her having a nice meeting with magneto and him basically saying that he still considers her a daughter. Mix that with the fact that there is now no reason for them to not have SW and Quicksilver as his kids (no more FOX owning the X-Men or petty people in charge of Marvel Comics trying to screw with the X-Men because of FOX), and that they always worked well together as characters, and I could definitely see them doing this to bring Wanda and her brother back into the mutant fold.

I could 100% be wrong about this, but its a theory I have right now.

DEWLine likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was surprised to see those too. But like @Unicron said, they probably won't stay dead for long. I wouldn't be surprised if we got heroic returns for all three right before their next movie appearances.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sara Pichelli is most famous for her work on Ultimate Spider-Man and the Miles Morales Spider-Man series.

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope Dan Slott doesn't pick up a copy of "Sinister War" today. After all that time he spent on the internet shouting at people that One More Day would never be revisited and you'd never see a married Spider-Man again it won't be good for him...

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I want to read Sinister War...

Relayer1, Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the actor who played him, the big guy who Alexie beat in arm wrestling was the comics character Ursa Major, and "the first mutant (X-Man) to appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe."
    I have to wonder if he's just jumping to the assumption that he's a mutant just because he is in the comics. We've already seen them take mutants from the comics and give them a different origins for their powers, so he could be Ursa Major without necessarily being a mutant.
    Adding mutants to the MCU is going to be a big deal, so I find it kind of hard to believe that the first mutant in the MCU is going to be a character most people have never heard of, who isn't even identified as a mutant in the movie.

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, but until anything contradicts it? Sure, why not, let him enjoy it.

Caretaker likes this.
  19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about how the X-Men will be introduced. I am not buying that they will just be thrown in from a separate universe, but I think it is more likely that they have been operating secretly for sometime-- similar to the Inhumans in Agents of SHIELD-- and that either the current events from Loki or possibly the actions around the IW/Endgame movies may have triggered the X-gene in a larger percentage of the population leading to mutants appearing in greater number and the X-Men to go public.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hellfire Gala was epic…superheroes getting the Game of Thrones treatment

Beast had the best line: “I’ll be that bastard”

dupersuper likes this.