Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Mods,if there is another thread on this film, please merge this. I did a search but for some reason it's not coming up.

He canned the project..

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, that's disappointing, to say the least.

Although I wonder what kind of filmmaker Tarantino is going to be going forward without Sally Menke. Her contribution was sorely missed on Django Unchained, which had many moments of greatness, but should have been much more tightly edited.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Tarantino is surprised actors hand scripts over to their agents, and agents hand it over to everyone? Really, Quentin? How long have you been in the business?

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Questioning and challenging corrupt behavior or the breaking of expectations of confidence is a good thing instead of living with the status quo. It's brave to take on "the establishment." I'm looking forward to anything the agent has to say. Watching them spin and posture...

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's definitely a disappointment. The movie going public would still have enjoyed the film and the site hard fans would see it even if they know the whole thing. Oh well.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It certainly seems to be a purely emotional reaction. How many actual moviegoers would have really known about the script, much less the plot? And even for those who do know the plot, consider how many people see movies based on books they've read. Really, there's no rational reason to cancel (or postpone) the production. I certainly understand the emotion - the feeling of betrayal. But the decision seems ... irrational to me - even if he doesn't rule out going forward later on, after the book is published.

7. JWPlatt

What makes it irrational? The reaction to betrayal? Letting down people who would have otherwise been employed by the production? That could be selfish. Giving up the income he would have made from the film? Selling a book instead of a movie?

If irrational means a lack of reason, his reason is clear. If it means a decision made in haste, you may have a point - but that's not irrational and there is still a reason, whether it's emotional or logical. Both are equally valid for human beings with feelings.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first thing I did was wonder whether success of the film was predicated in some way on a plot twist remaining secret, and so whether there being someone unable to keep a secret in the crowd that he wanted to work with, even at this early stage, just kind of killed his desire to go down the whole road.

Whatever the deal is, even though it might seem like an overreaction to us on the outside, we're not privy to the details.

We don't know who gave what kinds of assurances that it would stay under wraps, we don't the nature of thing that was to stay under wraps, etc.

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently, the script is now online. There's some conjecture that this will lead to lawsuit, and seeing that Tarantino declared he would publish the script, it will be easy for him to prove damages.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

His script, his movie, his prerogative.

Also, let's not forget that what this amounts to is theft of personal and (I think?) intellectual property. I think anyone here would be quite rightly pissed off if someone they trusted stole from them.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes but shutting down the whole movie out of spite?

That seems like an emotional overreaction to me.. it's not like the script will be printed on the front page of every site you'll ever visit including Google.

You'd atleast need to search for it or click a link so you'll actively spoil yourself.

I understand his emotion though because a very small circle had access to the script and one of them betrayed the trust he set in them and that can hurt more than anything. I don't want to be in his shoes right now finding out you were betrayed by a close friend/colleague.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As far as I can tell, it's not like he's shutting down an active production and putting people out of work, he's simply chosen not to develop a script he'd written because some bugger leaked it.

I think it has less to do with spite than just plain irritation. But that's neither here nor there. It's his script, his movie and his choice whether he wants to make it or not. Though I don't like to presume to speculate on another person's rational, I imaging the whole thing would now feel somehow tainted and he's probably just lost all passion for the project.

It's not like he owes anyone this movie and it unfairly depriving them of it out of spite. It's just a script and like he said, he's got ten more where that came from.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody stole anything. He sent out an unmarked script to actors, and they gave it to their agents. And since nothing on the script said "don't give it away" the agents gave it away, becuase that's what they do. It's normal business. Tarantino is throwing one of his temper tantrums.

14. JWPlatt

I don't support the status quo. I support holding sleazy agents up to the light for public inspection. Good for Tarantino for holding people responsible and accountable.

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Really? Agents just give scripts away without permission? "Hey, I was approached to be in this picture. Tarantino sent me a script. You want to take a look?"
    "Sure. I hope you don't mind if I copy it for all my friends, too."
    "Nah, that's cool. I'm sure Quentin won't care."

16. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't see how agents would make any money if they went round leaking scripts.

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Scripts get sent out all the time. Studios, agents, actors, producers, directors, production companies, networks, managers, even assistants share and trade them.

There's a Facebook group for assistants to share these things or request them when their bosses need a copy of something for a meeting.

Writers share pilot scripts.

Everyone in town shares copies of Academy screeners and shot pilot episodes. It's something of an exclusivity thing out here.

This happens everyday in Hollywood and its understood that you don't "leak" it, you don't share it and you sure as shit don't mass distribute it. You're not even really supposed to talk about it with people outside the biz.

That said, this shouldn't be breaking news to anyone (except maybe JarodRussell). This is just a shitty situation where some jackass decided he or she wanted to be a dick and shared the script. Tarantino is right to be as angry as he is, he's well within his rights to sue Gawker, and the bitch of it is we're the ones who lose out.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There's a *big* difference between a script that get's passed around and one that is entrusted to a select few. The former are usually put about by writers who are angling to get their script noticed. The latter usually comes from well known and established writers and are accompanied with NDA agreements and sometimes a guard who takes it back once the person is done with it.

Apparently Tarantino decided to trust someone and got burned. I can't say as I blame him for reacting this way.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Thing is, the script for Django Unchained was put on the net before filming started - by QT himself, probably - and he neither gave up or complained.

Which makes me wonder if he just decided this script wasn't good enough after all, and has found a handy excuse to not bother.