Favorite Watchmen character?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by broberfett, Aug 21, 2009.

1. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I watched The Watchmen and I think they kind of expect you to like Rorschach and I did. I kinda like the Comedian too, maybe from watching every episode of Supernatural. I really like the scene in the prison when Rorschach shouts,"You don't get it! I'm not locked in here with you! You're locked in here with me!"

Rorschach's voice doesn't bug me like Christian Bale's Batman voice which I think really sucks. They are very close though.

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, Rorschach is the fan favorite, for obvious reasons, and I was glad to see his characterization in the movie was just as bad ass as it was in the comic.

But, I will admit, I thought the movie did a better job at makin' Nite Owl II a lot more interestin' than the comic book did. To me, he's second only to Rorschach.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I liked The Dollar Bill. Once more proving good guys shouldnt wear capes. Of course The Silhouette was pretty nice looking as well.

4. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rorschach . . . he has an iconic costume, unconventional physique, he's criminally insane but fights for the 'good' side
    I'd say he's one of, if not the most unique comic 'heroes' out there

5. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

Rorschach is obviously the coolest but Dan Dreiberg's Nite Owl II is the comic book hero I find myself able to relate to the most.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Eh, between the two of them, they're just Batman, not sure of the huge draw. Rorschach is the violence, rage, and Detective side, and Nite Owl II is the rich guy with gadgets that dresses like a bird. And since they were partners, you've basically got Batman there.

I enjoyed the prison scene, though, as the best one-liner: You know the score. Yeah, 1-nothing. :D

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure we're supposed to like any of these sickos.

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Bubastis! :D
    [​IMG]

9. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'd call a three-way tie between Rorschach, Nite Owl II and The Comedian. They were all interesting characters who had good actors putting forth really food performances.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

One analysis of the film (and I'm thinking it was from Timothy Callahan, but I could be wrong) pointed out that, while he had read Watchmen dozens of times, it hadn't occurred to him until he saw the film that the story is basically the ultimate Batman vs. Superman story, albeit one in which Batman is broken down into three components.

Rohrschach is Batman-as-violence. Nite Owl II is Batman-as-tinkerer. Ozymandias is Batman-as-genius.

What impressed me about the movie is that, coming out of it, I so wanted to see a solo Nite Owl film. Patrick Wilson kicked some serious ass as the character, and he invested Moore's loser with some emotional weight.

ETA: Damn, my memory's frightfully good, that I could remember one single five-month old blog post with that much specificity. Said Callahan:

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I immediately picked up on Rorschach and Nite Owl II as being two sides of Batman upon my first reading of the comic, but it didn't occur to me to also count Ozy as a facet of Bats. Now that you mention it, the Veidt Building certainly can stand in for Wayne Tower, and while Dreiberg certainly is wealthy enough to build Archie and his array of costumes and gadgets, Ozy is the one with a Bruce Wayne level of wealth. I dont' know that I'd go so far as to say Bats is as smart as Ozy, though.

Going into the film, my favorite characters were Rorschach and the Comedian, but I agree with Allyn about Patrick Wilson's portrayal of Nite Owl. He definitely moved up the list after seeing the film.

12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Nite Owl II would have to be the character I like/identify with most.

13. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rorschach.

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Dr. Manhattan. However, the movie character came off as much more human than the way I interpreted him in the book.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Janey Slater. Beau-ti-ful

Other than that I'd have to be boring and say Rorschach. Followed by Nite Owl II

16. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dr. Manhattan. I always root for the overdog.

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, because he's the only one who isn't a sociopath. :lol:

18. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure if I by this. The Batman analogy is very apt, but I don't see DM as Superman at all. While they are both super-beings Superman is very invested in Earth and its fate. He is an outsider who came to adopt his new homeland as his own. Dr. Manhattan couldn't care less and that apathy born from his being so far beyond everyone else. He comes from Earth, but loses all interest in it. Besides since Ozymandias is the protagonist in the story it might better be a study of Batmans schizophrenia

19. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Rorschach. Going for the obvious irony that the serial killer is the only one with a conscience at the end.

20. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Comedian and Ozymandias.