The Amazing Race Season 25 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Brent, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The Amazing Race Season 25 started tonight.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/

This thread is for the entire discussion of this season, feel free to post in it every week with your opinions of said episode.

Tonight's episode was: "Go Big or Go Home"

I liked that the race started in New York, just like the first season, and they started off at the location the first season ended. That was a nice throwback, they even showed a scene from the first season, brought back memories.

Anyway's, the new "Save" item this season seems interesting, no negative thoughts about it. I think though, it really does give a lot of power to one team, right off the bat. Just like the team said, every leg is a non-elim leg for them now. That's a lot of power to hold.

About the teams this season, I don't have a "favorite" so far. In fact, there are a lot of teams I don't like at all so far, just cause of their personalities. I'm also not happy one of the teams is from Survivor, I'm of the opinion the Race should be for regular people, not people that have been on other reality shows. There are definitely a few teams I don't want to see win.

The compass challenge seemed to be a challenge, using an unknown type of compass. However, how did people not clue in that the Sun sets in the West, and from that you can figure out all the directions easily. Makes me sad for our education system :(

As for the two blondes losing in the first round, I guess they got what they deserved. They said they never lose, or aren't use to losing, well, you learned your lesson.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    25 seasons =/= 25 years when you have 2 seasons/year.

Part of the problem with the treasure hunt was that they didn't realize the pirate map convention that 1 pace = 1 yard, which is why it was so important to accurately use their shovel handles to measure.

Plus it does help to remember that the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked the compass challenge, because I like challenges that reward a skill instead of the ones that randomize things. People who are good at applying basic problem solving got through. The kinds of challenges I hate were the ones that are like "Pick a car randomly, and if it doesn't have a clue you have to go around for ten minutes before you get another pick". The ones that are basically die rolls.

I don't mind having players from other reality shows on in principle so long as it's only one or two a season instead of all of them. And I have no memory of Keith & Whitney anyway, I had to look up what season they were even on.

I don't mind people playing dirty in Amazing Race, but if you're going to play dirty, don't then complain that other teams are playing dirty. The blondes took that pen out of Michael & Scott's hand, then later complained when the same two people preempted them into a cab. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

The save is basically an express pass you can't screw up. I don't mind it.

4. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a mistake to put "The Amazing Race" on Friday nights. I'm sure that this will mean drop in ratings just like it did with the original Star Trek in 1968. I have already read a report on yahoo that CBS didn't win their time slot last night. I realize that many episodes were moved to the next time shot, but most people have DVR now and what I always did was to record the show after The Amazing Race would be scheduled. Moving the show to Fridays could meet the end of The Amazing Race, which is what happen to our original Star Trek.:brickwall:

5. JirinPanthosa

Friday definitely seems like the 'Death slot'. On the other hand, Amazing Race must be really cheap to produce, so it would have to dip lower in ratings than most other shows to be cancelled.

Although I wouldn't be shocked if in a year or two it became a spring only show. Plan it to replace whatever fails in the fall.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I hope it doesn't get canceled :(

It's my favorite reality TV show. I like it a lot.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only watched the first episode following the conclusion of The Amazing Race Canada's second season, which I really did enjoy. Briefly comparing the two, my domestic version doesn't seem to have the need or inclination to do much stunt or beauty casting, like the twin Barbie girls or three-armed surfer team seen here. Is that common?

Our challenges seemed about par with what we had in this premiere, with an emphasis on skill and intellectual processes as well as speed. Ours has certain limitations though (Canadians only get to choose one airline, so everyone "starts" at different times but all end up on the same flight to the next city anyway, which is really silly). I take it "dumb luck" challenges are more common here?

Mark

8. JirinPanthosa

Equalizers were a huge problem when the series first started. In the first season there were like two places per leg where it was like, they'd arrive somewhere at 9:45 PM and it would say 'Opens at 8 AM'. It's only in the last few years they've tried to fix that by staggering flight departure times and setting things up so people arrive during business hours.

Most of the time there is some element of skill to the challenges, but there's occasionally something like "Here are 20000 hay bails, 9 of them have clues. Unroll them and hope you happen to find one quickly". Plus the luck of the draw with cab drivers often has more impact on finishing order than success at tasks.

9. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I also don't like that the annoying twins that appeared twice on the Amazing Race are on this season of Survivor.

Anyway, a good start to the season. It'll take a few episodes before I decide which teams I like and which I'll be rooting for to get sent home.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marathoned the last two seasons during work over the past couple of weeks, just caught the premiere ep for this season. Just as well that nobody has commented on episode 2, I'm sure I'll catch up at some point this weekend.

Anyway, I liked the digging challenge. If anything I think navigational skills should play a much larger role in this show. Cabs are the worst part of the game. That and navigation where everyone has little choice but to ask the first local they see and hope that the local doesn't give them a bad answer. That kind of stuff needs to go. They have done a better job with staggering flights, that much is true.

I guess which countries they are provided cars in probably goes down to license legalities and liability situations, but in countries where they can't I'd rather the show just provide no-drama transportation to the sites they need to get to. I get why they don't, but for me it would be a better show that way.

And for the love of god could they at least edit in fewer sound effects? The worst are all the honking noises they add to pretty normal traffic where NOBODY IS HONKING. It's insulting, like watching a sit-com with a laugh track.

11. JirinPanthosa

One thing I liked about last week's episode is that they gave away the Express Pass in 'Fast Forward' style instead of just making it the reward for first place. They should do stuff like that more often.

12. JirinPanthosa

I think I'm now rooting against Tim & Te Jay. First they didn't know what a quarry was, then they did that 'Baaaaa' thing, which is just as annoying and stupid as Charla screaming 'Choo Choo' at people to illustrate she wanted to get on a train.

And Brooke and Robbie are the season's whiners. Those are the two teams I'm rooting against.

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really like the Dentists, but they play the game well, and so far their confidence seems warranted.

14. Yoda

The "baa" thing wasn't as bad as them making a clothes fence. C'mon man.

The dentists are pretty ridiculous with their John Boehner skin tone and their #FFFFFF teeth. But yeah, at least they're competent. Got to respect that.

The wrestlers are approaching all-time levels of stupid. How do you put a bend in a nail? Seriously? That doesn't exactly require Macgyver-level innovation.

Theoretically I should be getting behind the science girls, but there just doesn't seem to be a ton of personality there. Where are my Afghanimals when I need 'em?!?

The Boston Strong guys were pretty annoying as well, so I'm not too shook up at seeing them getting directed 20 miles out of their way looking for a foundry (? ok... i guess that almost makes sense). Hey did you know that people from Boston are resilient and you can't keep em down!??! Just re-iterating the point in case anyone here doesn't know about Boston. Boston, Boston, Boston, Boston.

15. JirinPanthosa

Hey, I'm from Boston, and I TOTALLY consider a bar to be the most accurate source of information. ;)

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think right now I'm kind of rooting for the Soul Surfer, just cause of her story. I find it very encouraging and her and him very genuine.

17. Yoda

Well it's hard to cheer against someone who got their fucking arm bitten off. But they have that glazed-over-eyes look and talk about God's plan, so I'll manage to do just that :guffaw:

18. JirinPanthosa

I don't mind talk about God's plan so long as they make no claims that God would prefer them to win.

19. Yoda

The flower petal thing was stupid.

Dentist lady's sing-song sandwiches were pretty annoying. Also what is she talking about seeing emotional support? Has she not noticed that her husband produces nothing but disturbing death glares?
    [​IMG]

The mother/daughter are ridiculous and need to go away as soon as possible.

The wrestlers are ridiculous, but they're starting to be ridiculous in an endearing way.

20. JirinPanthosa

I'm kind of used to competitive people like Jim because of my training groups. I'm glad he got beaten this leg though.

Weren't the wrestlers the ones who were like "Urr Sweden, that's a different country than Denmark, right?" I think Tim & Te Jay redeemed themselves a little for me by actually knowing the capitols off hand. Considering I first turned against them mostly based on lack of possession of basic knowledge any human being ought to have.

So right now my elimination wish list is:
    1. Shelley & Nici
    2. Wrestlers

Shelley is to Nici as Vee is to Taystee.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014