Thoughts on Season 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dub, Sep 4, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That clown wasn't funny... he was threatening. KcKean is quite possibly the only person ever to pull off the evil clown without seeming ridiculous.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I meant I think he is funny in general.

The clown he played in The Thaw was creepy.

3. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think that was the best thing about the episode. As a clown it could have easitly been over the top, or rediculous, but it was done just right

4. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

This season was very hit and miss for me although i loved episodes like meld. Tuvix however marked the first time i was ever angry at janeway (i like her most of the time) and tattoo was incredibly boring.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't stand The Thaw, I find it unbearable to watch.

I guess this sums it up:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNv7DnZor7Q[/yt]

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like "The Thaw". Great episode.

There are some quotes from The Clown I really love, like the one above: "A virus, a virus, he thinks that I'm a virus!"

And don't forget: "Harry knows viruses!"

Not to mention: "We won! We won! Celebrations! Celebrations. I always use that one when my favorite hockey team wins. :)

And the unforgettable: "The spoil goes to the winner and you are the spoil, Harry!

The Clown is one of my favorite villains!

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's too late to reasonably revive this thread, but in case it is, I apologize with the explanation that I just started watching Season 2 and didn't want to start an entirely new thread just to post stuff about it.

One note before I move forward: I'm using Amazon Instant Video and watching the season in a very different order than it originally aired in and in which it appears on the DVDs, having watched The '37s, Projections, Elogium, and Twisted in their 'proper' order as part of Season 1 (Projections following Learning Curve, Elogium following Projections, Twisted following Elogium, and The '37s following Twisted and being the Season 1 finale).

With that out of the way, on to Season 2.

Initiations makes a much more organic and satisfying season premiere than The '37s would have, not only starting the broader Kazon-centric arc of the season off right away, but also giving Robert Beltran a chance to broaden his portrayal of Chakotay and give us some more insight into his character. It also gives Neelix a chance to broaden his role on the ship and once again utilize his knowledge of and previous contact with the Kazon-Ogla.

BTW, I've seen it remarked that Voyager shouldn't have kept running into the Kazon as often as they did given that they were first encountered in the vicinity of the Caretaker's Array, but given what is said in this episode about Kazon territory and society, I actually think it makes all the sense in the world that Voyager could run into the Kazon in a number of different locations yet still only 'officially' encroach on their territory in this episode and continue to encounter them throughout the rest of the season.

8. DigificWriter

Sorry for double-posting, but nobody responded.

I've watched up to Prototype in Production Order, and have really enjoyed pretty much every episode, particularly Maneuvers and the aforementioned Initiations. I happen to really like the Kazon, and they remind me of a cross between the Nausicans and the Jem'Hadar, with the tiniest bit of Cardassian thrown in, which makes it very ironically awesome that Seska - an actual Cardassian - threw her lot in with one of the 18 Kazon sects.

9. DigificWriter

I was again hoping to avoid double-posting, but, again, nobody responded.

I thought Season Two was very strong, particularly if watched without the four Season 1 holdovers (not because they're bad episodes, but because they really don't 'fit' as part of the season) and with Death Wish after Prototype and before Alliances.

It's certainly stronger overall than the second season of its successor Enterprise, but not as strong as the second season of its predecessor DS9 (which, IMO, was the strongest second season of the entire franchise).

The fact that the season both starts and finishes with Chakotay-focused, Kazon-centric episodes (Initiations and Basics P1, respectively) gives it a serialized cohesion that Season 1 didn't have and helps to concretely establish the show as a Serialized Procedural. The season also gives us some great character development and progression for pretty much every character.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to snark, but if nobody's responding it may simply mean that nobody has anything to respond with. If that's the case, simply reposting may cause more harm than good as it can come across as a "Hey! Look at me!!!" type of thing.

11. DigificWriter

^ That's why I was hoping to avoid multi-posting, because I wanted to post some overall thoughts on the season but didn't want to come across as spamming.