Pot-smoking neighbors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

It would be nearly impossible to "inhale" enough marijuana smoke by way of a smell coming through the floorboards to affect a human being, even a child. Add to that the fact that marijuana is pretty much totally non-toxic, and that pretty much kills your first point. You'd have more success trying to convince people that a ban on internal combustion in public places should be outlawed as it forces people to inhale noxious gasoline fumes.

There would be nothing responsible or adult about it. The responsible adult thing to do would be to have a polite talk with them, not sick the gestapo on their tail. The laws banning the use and possession of marijuana are archaic and need to be done away with, especially since far more harmful drugs are sold legally every day - alcohol, tobacco, prescription pills, you name it. Being a law-abiding citizen is generally a good thing, but you need to think about the laws and the merit they have on a case-to-case basis, not just obey universally with slavish subservience and rat out all who do not.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I call 911 every time I see somebody jaywalking.

3. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

How do you know that pot isn't legal in his area?

4. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if you're a total jackass.

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I like the bounty roll idea. I wish I'd had that when... uhhh... nothing.

6. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

This. I wouldn't call the cops as my first move, but they're impinging on your rights if they can't keep their activities confined to their own living space. I do not believe in doing intoxicating substances, myself, but I think in your situation, even if your neighbors decided to invest in a bong as a result of a warning or two, that would be an improvement for your comfort.

(I admit, I DID also like the idea about blaring sirens with the stereo on 11--provided, of course, it's not during your complex's quiet hours! ;) )

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Then don't be around them.

Problem solved!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:wtf: What?

9. Nerys Ghemor

I think the problem is that the smoke is coming into the OP's apartment. It's not like he's going down there to visit or making any effort to be "around" them.

I cannot think of any good reason why he should have to move because his neighbors have no regard for the fact that they might be disturbing others. That's the fault of the person causing the disturbance, not the person who is the "victim" of it.

10. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Exactly. I am a medical marijuana patient myself. I follow all the state laws and guidelines and only medicate in the privacy of my home. I am also allowed to grow it. If you attempt to stop me from taking or growing my medication, not only will I not stop, but I may sue you as well for harassing me.

And you use medication when you need to. 10am, 10pm, time does not matter and are merely arbitrary markers. If someone is an early riser, like 2 or 3am, 10am is like mid-afternoon to those working 9 to 5. By placing disdain on their smoking at 10am, you are attempting to make them conform to your schedule. Should they snap to attention and salute when you pass them as well?

RoJoHen, it is you who is the new kid on the block here. The Johnny-come-lately. It is you that is rocking the boat that everyone else seems to have no problem with. And if you live in a state that allows medical use of marijuana, your neighbors are perfectly within their rights to medicate themselves in their home in the way they always have. I hate the smell of tobacco and live in an apartment myself. But I cannot make my neighbors stop smoking in their home. My dislikes do not trump their right to live how they please in their own home.

My suggestion as well would be to talk to them to see if they will accommodate your dislike. But if your state allows for medical marijuana use, and they are legal patients, be prepared they may simply laugh you off as the nosy new neighbor. You may think you shouldn't have to put up with it having just moved. But if they are legal and were there first, is that being fair or just being selfish?

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not to completely ignore your huge rant here, but medical marijuana is in fact NOT legal in my state.

And as a matter fact, smoking of ANY kind of against the rules in my building. You wanna smoke, you better be outside and 15 feet away from the door.

12. Nerys Ghemor

Why does it have to be smoked, though? If it IS medical marijuana, aren't there other ways to take it that won't affect others??

Like some of us have said, these neighbors should strongly consider getting a bong if they're going to do this in high-density living areas where their activities do affect others.

13. the Dagman

Well, there you go. That information changes everything. You should simply tell your building manager that someone in the building is smoking in their apartment and who you think it might be. Let them deal with it and keep your hands clean of it. Their no smoking rule is likely due to insurance, cheaper rate for a reduced fire hazard of a no smoking building.

If they signed an agreement stating "no smoking", then no smoking it is.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You should have seen the lease they made me sign. There's a whole section about what I'm allowed to flush down the toilet.

15. the Dagman

Bongs don't diminish odor. Vaporizers do. Most are a lot more expensive than your average $1.50 pack of rolling papers or $15 brass pipe. Bongs not only make odor, they retain it.

16. Nerys Ghemor

Holy cow. I have NEVER had THAT in a lease...this I have to see.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is the 4th place I've rented. The first 3 places all had leases that were one page long. This place's lease was 40 pages long! It was ridiculous.

It's government-owned low-income property (which for me just means it's cheap rent!), so they had a lot of requirements to meet.

18. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Can I come crash at your place? I'll bring the munchies...I mean snacks.

19. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

This actually sounds like something Squire might do. Maybe not 911, but certainly the police.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Smoking marijuana provides more reliable and immediate relief (especially for HIV and chemotherapy patients) than Marinol or brownies. I believe that's true for fibromyalgia patients as well.

But it sounds like that's not the issue.

However, I'd like to think they'd respond appropriately if a neighbor was actually inhaling their smoke due to close-quarters or bad ventilation. There are easy ways to minimize the exposure of those around you. A good neighbor-to-neighbor talk should do the trick.