Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Not as crazy as it sounds, since that was the entire reason Bobby Drake was created was to recreate the success of the Human Torch.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see the confusion between Bobby and Johnny--I could have made that same mistake very easily.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've watched the trailer at least four times already, and the movie is one of my top two most anticipated films (the other being The Force Awakens). I very much want to see Age of Ultron, but I'm not waiting for it with baited breath like I am for F4 and TFA.

I especially can't wait to see more of Sue. The shot of her 'flying' looks great in the trailer, but will most likely look even better on the big screen.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

A Song Of Ice and Fire.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ Can't be them. They're DC.

[​IMG]

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My appreciation for this one after the first teaser has taken a hit. Now I'm seeing a Star Labs malfunction imitation.

The good news is, I found something in the new teaser interesting, the transformation scene of stretch's arm.

Why they become what they become and why each is different is something I've never been exposed to yet. The prior films didn't address, (or I missed) this so if a great deal of detail about the processes going on in all of them and why each is different is examined in close detail then I may overlook the copy cat impressions the new teaser gave me.[/nerd]

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That is a good nerd imitation - barely simulating English as spoken by non-nerds.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Except it's pretty much the Ultimate Fantastic Four origin from about... a decade ago? Longer?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Not to mention that the "STAR Labs malfunction" origin for metahumans in The Flash is basically a variation on the original Fantastic Four "given random powers by mysterious radiation" origin from 1961. It's also very reminiscent of the White Event from Marvel's New Universe in 1986.

The problem with accusing one recent thing of imitating another recent thing is that both of them probably have much older antecedents.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Fantastic Four weren't given radnom powers though, their powers fit their personality. The metahumans on the Flash is their version of Smallville's Krytonite freaks.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Gross.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think that was a bit retconning and retrofitting.

14. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

If that was retconning, it was spot-on retconning.
    It may have never been said in the comics, but I'm thinking when they were designing the characters, that's what they were thinking.

15. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there is a reason Violet from The Incredibles is an Invisible Girl expy...

16. Nerys Myk

Not sure what making Sue have the power of invisibility says about Stan and Jack's opinion of women. And equating Reed's intelligence with his flexibility is a bit of a .....stretch. ;)

Plus Ben is more of a hot head than Johnny is. Johnny is the the young impetuous joker. Which doesn't say FIRE to me.

The personalities of the FF are straight out of Kirby's earlier work with "kid gangs" in the Forties. The brain, the tough guy and the wiseguy are all archetypes found not only in comics but in film (the Dead end Kids) and books (Doc Savage's Famous Five). Kirby's Challengers of the Unknown are almost the FF without powers.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Exactly. Both teams are based on the four classical elements. The Challengers are a pilot (air), a deep-sea diver (water), a wrestler (earth), and a hotheaded daredevil (fire). The FF's powers also reflect the elements: Sue is invisible like air, Reed is fluid like water, Ben is strong like earth (and eventually drawn as a literal rock-man, though Kirby originally meant him to have dinosaur hide), and Johnny is literally on fire.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Exactly. It wasn't retconned, it was incorporated.

19. Nerys Myk

Not seeing a difference. Nothing I've read indicate the powers and personalities were related originally. And as I mentioned the powers don't actually line up with the characters personalities Sounds like fan idea that gained traction, especially after fans became pros.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The first time I saw that idea was in this film:
    http://horrornews.net/76045/film-review-the-fantastic-four-1994/

[​IMG]

Which, incidentally, had the best looking cinematic Doom:

[​IMG]