Game of Thrones 4.10 - "The Children" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

75.5%
  2. Above average

15.1%
  3. Average

7.5%
  4. Below average

1.9%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah as fine as I am with all the other fantasy elements on this show, the skeletons and fireball throwing did seem like a bit too excessively magical for this show somehow.

But it wasn't a major issue, and the sequence was still pretty damn fun to watch.

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

??

Last week's episode was the best of the season.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Pretty great episode, really great music, mostly nice balance of changes from the books, but I am pissed off at the lack of Lady Stoneheart, which would have made a great mindfuck of a cliffhanger.

The Keeper of Traken under the tree is familar- Struan Rodger? I noticed his name in the credits (the Face of Boe from Dr Who)

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

That does it. I'm reading the books.

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Must be the greatest character of all time because all the boards won't shut up about it.

8. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

None of that strikes nearly as deep a chord. All it would have taken is replacing the nonsense "KUNK" scene between them a couple episodes ago with a more relevant conversation about their childhood to remind everyone that Tyrion has formed an unhealthy relationship with whores because of that foundational experience. A traumatic and abhorrent experience that was based on a lie and destroyed the life of an innocent girl that he was in love with and perhaps the only girl who ever loved him back.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see how it would have been a cool surprise for people reading the book, but I have to agree that it would have felt out of place on the TV series. After the great performance and depth that was brought to the character before, bringing them back later just to be some... vengeful horror movie villain would have felt beyond tacky and cheap (even if it did happen to make for a really cool visual).

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

What the hell was with the halfling druids anyway? Talk about random.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The farther you get from "civilization," the more fantastical stuff you find. There's not a whole lot of magic going on south of the Wall, but the farther north you go, the more weird stuff pops up. Makes sense enough to me. Bran and friends have probably ventured farther north than any other humans had in a long time.

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I just took the lazy option, and looked up a few characters on the Song of Fire & Ice wiki to see what happens to them next :)

And reading about "the-character-people-thought-might-appear-in-the-finale"
    yeah I agree with that article it'd be too much. And if it does happen it'd be better next season say as a cliffhanger ending to say episode 1 or 2. It'd make a great "OMG" start to the season to get everyone talking about the show. Kinda like how the Joffrey thing was a big start to Season 4

14. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

The Children have only been mentioned on the series once before. But they talk about them on the DVD histories (on youtube also) and in the books.

They are the people who lived in Westeros before the first men came over from Essos. They carved the faces in the trees and taught men to be Wargs and greenseers

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The skeletons were decent, the children + fireballs were pretty lame. I doubt there was a good way to do it though, they were always going to come off as corny in such a super serious and gritty show.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

A lot of what I enjoyed has already been stated. It was a great episode and IMO, the best season finale yet.

It's a shame the Hound died, he started to grow on me. Arya surprised me leaving him to die like that. He did protect her a few times.

With Tywin gone, I have a feeling Kings Landing is going to shit. Cersei will probably have a hand in it. I was put off on Shea's death. Why didn't she flip over and roll off the bed?

Anyway, the adventures of Tyrion and Faris sounds interesting.

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Is the Hound dead though? We just saw him in a really pitiful condition, but he's hardly dead. He's also clearly not the type to rely on suicide, at least not from what I've seen of his personality.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am super glad it didn't happen.

Yes could be used as a great shock to tv viewers in the future but if it never happens, meh.

One thing I loved was the way Varis begins to walk down the dock, hears the bells and realizes what it means, turns around and sits down next to the Tyrion crate :lol:

All unspoken, his whole life turned upside down in a moment.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Book people, what was going on at the beginning with the Mountain?

20. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Qyburn = wannabe Dr. Frankenstein :cardie: