Do you read through the thread before posting?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HIjol, Jul 15, 2014.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I've trailed off threads, checking back a few times to see if someone replied to my post. I'm also sure to read back posts if I want to post in it again.

2. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

if I'm just replying to the OP probably not. If I'm replying to one of the last few posts I saw, then yes I'll read it. One thing that irks me a bit is when people reply to one of the last few posts, and it almost always ends up out of context because they haven't read the entire discussion; so I don't do that.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who replies to the OP anymore? That's sooo Big Blue.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I assume I'm the OP anytime I respond.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If the OP somehow changes to J. every time he posts, then reverts to the original author afterwards, how does this displacement of identity impact the course of the conversation? Even if you read the Original Post, by the time you get to J.'s answer, it's already gone back again, so the likelihood of the question and answer having any relationship to each other exponentially decreases.

6. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on topic, age, and how many posts.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is an interesting topic, and very meta.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'm such an idiot I will forget an early post where I said the same thing as a current one.

I try to scan a page or so to get the flow of the conversation..

9. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Usually the impulse to contribute comes pretty quickly after reading the initial post and a few cogent responses. I feel that I don't want to be disuaded from doing so even if I come across an opinion that pretty much mirrors what I'm thinking. On the other hand, I am prone to more than my share of newbie jitters so it's not unusual for me to read all the way through to be reconciled I've got as good a lay of the land before dipping my toes in.

I might read an entire thread about a topic that I find interesting while not feeling particularly impelled to contribute. That happens occasionaly.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Same here. Their are quite a few posts others have beaten me to.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Eh, that's okay. Nobody should hesitate to join in on a conversation just because somebody else has spoken up. It's not about being first, it's about socializing. Most of the time, anyway. :rommie:

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's a thread I've posted in several times, I tend to go to the "Quick Links" option, choose "My Posts" and review what I've written. I don't tend to post all that much across multiple threads, so it's not usually hard to quickly review what I've said.