DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

For the climax of Morrison's Bat saga, it would have been nice if they'd gotten a high profile artist for it. These artists have been very middling. What are Adam and Andy Kubert doing right now?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

One's a Marvel exclusive. The other is working on Before Watchmen: Nite Owl.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chris Burnham is excellent. He is almost like Frank Quietly, and has been a perfect compliment to Morrison since he started on the book. I've zero complaints about his work. In fact he's become one of my favourite artists.

4. Admiral_Young

Batman Incorporated #5: This was an issue that I have been waiting for quite some time, the return to the future and Damian as Batman. Interesting reveal from Bruce as Morrison attempts to tie everything together now. It would appear that the future he has been talking about that he has been attempting to prevent, was indeed the Batman 666 Future. I was under the impression that the story from Future Damian picked up from the short shown in Batman #700...and that the baby that he saved was actually Terry McGuiness, but that must've been another child then. The Barbara/Damian scene reminded me of the Jim Gordon/Joker/Batman scene from "The Dark Knight Returns". Just so much happened in this issue to digest. Also was it just me or did the President resemble Clark Kent? It reminded me of a Quietly drawn Kent. It probably wasn't meant to be though.

Mike Marts has also stated that Batman Incorporated is indeed part of the 52'Verse.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the same thought as you and drew the same conclusion ... but I had to read the issue twice.

6. Admiral_Young

This could be interesting. Johns has been hinting in "Justice League" of a secret cabal of villains over the last few issues. I assumed that he was setting up the new 52 version of the Legion of Doom, or something similar. Probably will have some kind of tie-in to "Trinity War" as well.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/29/dc-comics-brings-on-the-bad-guys/

@Deriston...is the President's identity clearer under a second read? I have to confess that it is going right over my head LOL.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was clear that he is setting up something similar to the Light from YJ or the Society from Infinite Crisis.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Justice League Dark #14 and this books continues to get better. I keep weeding out books and this one manages to stay on my list to keep reading.

9. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Superman, TDK, Flash, Aquaman, Ghostbusters, TMNT.

Big pull week.

Read "Superman" last night, really enjoyed it. The "H'El" arc has shaping out to be an interesting one for sure. I'm still sort of mixed on the art. It's good but it also sort of "lacks something" or has a certain je ne sais quoi to it that make it feel "off."

Like it's less comic book art and more like storyboards for a movie or art department sketches or something.

It's very GOOD art, do not get me wrong, it just feels odd is all. But I really enjoy the current arc in the book.

(Kara seems a bit off, however, than she is in her own book.)

11. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. ;)

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

13. Admiral_Young

Wow. That's a huge departure...I wonder what she will do next?

14. Admiral_Young

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Usually about the time of the year people get let go.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, corporations do love to give people the gift of a job search for Christmas.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd bet money it is the end of Vertigo.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Hmm, I wonder if that was why they decide to end Hellblazer?

19. Admiral_Young

^ More than likely. Slowly integrating Vertigo into the 52'Verse like they've done already with the Wildstorm universe.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of Vertigo was already slowly integrated back into the main DCU. Constantine and Hunter were the last two holdouts. The rest of Vertigo such as Fables isn't owned by DC Comics.

They say that Berger also picked her successor so that doesn't mean the end of Vertigo yet. However Vertigo/Wildstorm really suffered from:

1) the reworking of creator contracts that WB forced on them and which helped cement Image as the biggest publisher of Independent and Creator Owned Work

2) Levitz axing Wildstorm's new direction and partnership with Garth Ennis.

Now if we are lucky, Paul Levitz will be the next one to go.