An art question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by hxclespaulplayer, Feb 14, 2013.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

How are drawings like these made?

[​IMG]
    For example, the background isn't white - has the paper been actually colored grey with something? And for the vase, is that charcoal that's the black on the outside of it?

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The paper isn't grey because it's dirty and the contrast of the picture is not so good.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

At first glance it looked like charcoal and pencil on paper to me, however, upon closer inspection I'm thinking that might be oil pastel. That rich black looks like oil pastel, and both charcoal and oil pastel are messy and can turn the paper grey like that. I'm leaning towards pastel because of the sort of large, grainy effect of the shading on the bottle, which you can also see in the way the pastel has coated the page. Charcoal, while it also has that grainy effect, tends to be much finer and less blotchy. The light grey on the checked handkerchief was done with either oil pastel, chalk pastel, or a very soft pencil, but not with charcoal. The shading on the flowers in the foreground was done by smearing, using either finger or a cloth/paper towel the artist smeared some of the pastel into the black to get that lighter grey (though the artist did not use that technique for the checks, that was done with a lighter colored implement).

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging by the color and texture, the materials used are likely charcoal on newsprint. As for how, the gradual build up of marks while viewing a still life.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know it's more than 100 times better than anything I could do. No artistic ability. **sigh**

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Could that grain be done with a "dusting" of charcoal? Or if the paper has a slightly rough texture, maybe a super light brushing of the charcoal?

7. thestrangequark

^It's definitely possible, like I said, charcoal was my first thought, and you can't tell for sure from the photo. I have doubts about charcoal it because as you say, charcoal tends to be dustier than that, plus, the effect on the bottle would be achieved easily by using the side of the pastel, and the richness of the black makes me suspect pastels as well. Of course, all those could be effects of the photograph. As for using a super light brushing of charcoal, that won't change the color of the charcoal, just the density. The grey on the checked handkerchief is laid on thick, and you can see the pencil strokes -- that could be a grey pastel or a soft and light pencil.

8. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charcoal smudged on light grey paper

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I cannot draw a stick figure very well. I am, however, fairly good with a protractor, straight edge and compass. Does anyone still use those?

10. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

It looks to me like it's graphite and charcoal on heavy parchment. If the paper being used has a rough texture, then a light sweep of the charcoal will appear bumpy. The darkness, though looks almost like oil pastel, also. I'm pretty certain that most of it is graphite and charcoal, though.

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doodle on graph paper. Usually lines and geometric shapes. Occasionally curves, using the graph paper to help.

I actually took a drafting class, back when you had to physically draw on paper. I was quite good with a protractor, straight edge, and compass.

12. thestrangequark

I've changed my mind. I think it is charcoal and graphite pencil on a high grain paper. Someone upthread suggested newsprint, but that is far too smooth. I broke out some old charcoals and textured drawing paper and was able to get the effects I previously thought might be pastel.