Salt Water Nacelles?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by KirkusOveractus, Dec 7, 2012.

1. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

After seeing the announcement trailer, it looks like the Enterprise will now have salt water-powered nacelles!

Is this true? What will they look like?

;)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All we see is water falling off of a nacelle. But considering a few seconds later we see the Enterprise crash into an ocean, I'm guessing that after it crashes, repairs are done so that it can lift off again.

3. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

What I like about the new JJ-prise is that it gets itself into a fiddley situations from the get go, rather than just sit there gracefully in space for 7 seasons.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The ship that crashes into the ocean is not the Enterprise. However, the ship rising from the ocean is.

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ what he said. The NCC-1701 is visible as the ship rises from the ocean, but the nosediving Constitution class ship is not the Enterprise. Also, it's crashing into a river, not an ocean and it looks like it will be completely destroyed by the end of that nosedive.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...And thus we are left wondering whether all these ships end up underwater because the bad guy throws them in, or whether the incidents (and the oceans!) are completely unrelated and the hero ship goes underwater by choice. Or something in between. Perhaps the villain has a thing for fire and water in general, and/or his superhero strength vs. weakness is related to them, and our heroes fight fire with fire (or, in this case, water with water), turning the tables on him by voluntarily taking a dip.

Ah, the suspense...

Timo Saloniemi

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the Enterprise (closeup of registry)
    [​IMG]

This is the Fed ship crashing:
    [​IMG]

8. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

They should have Scotty saying in this one, "Can I get a towel, please?" in this one, too; kind of make it his new catchphrase!

Then there could be a new marketing line of Scotty Towels!

(EDIT: you also realize that I a being goofy with this thread anyway, kind of making a new version of the "Blue Warp Nacelles?" thread from the last movie!)

9. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise runs on cold fusion now.

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

With all the technobabble that TNG and VOY did in the last moments of almost every show I can be very forgiving of an Enterprise that can survive being in water.

11. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

The footage of the ship crashing into the bay area takes away any sense of grand scale of that vessel, looks like a size of a yatch.

12. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding the much debated size of the nu-Enterpise, if the vessel stays in the water for an extended period of time (and that water is too cold), are we going to have to address the issue of significant shrinkage?....

Hope they've upgraded the engine room, or there will be talk of watering down the beer in the brewery...

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember how we had that Star Wars easter egg in the first one, with R2D2 in space?

Maybe now that we go underwater a shot of Jar Jar could be added, swimming among the seaweeds.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cumberbatch is Jar Jar Binks!

15. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Just a thought. Could this ship actually be crashing upside-down, and it's a new interpretation of the Reliant?

16. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I've kind of been thinking the same thing... I really looks upside down to me.

The front of the Engines look like TOS Movie era nacelles, but upside down. Weird how curved the support pylons are, too.

-Ricky

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So instead of battling in the Mutara Nebula, they battle in the ocean!

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Does this mean the nuEnterprise's sombrero will have to be covered up by a scuba helmet?

Underwater nacelles means the new PEZ dispensers will have to have Lloyd Bridges from Sea Hunt as Bussard collectors/endcaps.

20. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Shields + structural integrity fields = water lol.