Bread and Savagery still on the way?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain_Koloth, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Captain_Koloth

Captain_Koloth Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone know if this is still being actively worked on at Phase II? Been looking forward to this one for quite a while but haven't heard anything about it in a very long time.

2. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I believe it is in their docket, yes. There are one or two other shows before it though.

3. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bread and Savagery's director passed away some months ago, and he was in charge of its post-production, if I understand correctly. As it is the Holiest Thing is supposed to come out before the end of summer I think, and Phase 2 will fast-track the one they're shooting right now to come out as fast as possible, just like what happened to Mind-sifter last year.

So probably sometime early next year for B & S.

4. Akira8

Akira8 Ensign Newbie

Considering there have been two crowdfunding campaigns to finish this episode it is a little alarming that we are unable to get any official word on this episode. Is it being stalled to focus on The Holiest Thing? Is there footage missing? Was it just a poor story? Whatever it may be, it would be in their best interest to show some transparency and improve how they communicate with the public. The quick turn around on Mind-Sifter was a great start but a lot more needs to be done for them to rebuild trust with their fans. They'll see far better results with their crowdfunding campaigns and other initiatives.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I know fan films are fan films, and fans can expected to be given a continuous amount of episodes per year from the producers, but The Holiest Thing is over a year delayed, its all starting to seem a bit od.

6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know about Bread and Savagery, but concerning The Holiest Thing, it was mentioned (here, I think?) that they needed to film some pick-up shots to complete everything they needed for the rough edit, and since they only assemble the actors once per year, this week actually, they can only finish all the final post as soon as filming wraps.

So mid-july for pick-up shots, then a few weeks for colour correction and other VFX needs, then sound editing and final sound mix...if they release THT by the end of summer that's actually quite speedy, for a production team that does this pro bono...

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

that would seem to explain it.

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Until fairly recently, the plan was to pick up a last few shots for "The Holiest Thing," stick them into the otherwise-nearly-completed episode, and get the episode out the door fairly quickly after we've secured the necessary shots. I think that's still the plan, and James Cawley has been hopeful that "The Holiest Thing" might even be finally released by the time this summer is out--maybe even contemporaneously with our "TREKconderoga" Open House/Convention over Labor Day Weekend. However, Mark Edward Lewis--who has picked up the post-production tasks on this episode--has indicated that such a timeline might be overly ambitious. The tasks necessary to incorporate newly-acquired footage might be a little more involved than James has anticipated. We'll see how it all plays out.

Take some comfort in the knowledge that that the only people who want this episode out the door more than our viewers and fans is, well, us.

9. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the insight, but the original question was not regarding "The holiest thing", but the much older "Bread & Savagery". I think the completion of that episode was part of an earlier Kickstarter, so shouldn´t this be done before anything else comes out?

10. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

You should relax. It will be out, when it is ready.

11. northstar

Thanks, I am perferctly relaxed.. ;)

The "it will come out when it is done" answer is unfortunately only so long valid as you do not take money from others. As soon as you do that you have a responsibility. I know fan films sometimes have a hard time completing their episodes for various reasons, I just like to be kept informed.

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

My understanding is that Bread and Savagery requires an awful lot more work to complete than The Holiest Thing. I can't speak for the producers (and won't) but as far as I'm aware they do plan to complete it.

13. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Meanwhile, Star Trek Continues (only two years old at this point) has four episodes out, a fifth in the can and a sixth ready to shoot. I know it's not a competition, but at the rate they're going they'll catch up to New Voyages' episode count next year. I really hope NV can get back in the game soon, before STC totally eclipses them.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

That sounds like, "I know it's not a competition, but it's actually a competition."

It's just not a competition at all.

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I suppose not. I just hate seeing NV struggling (for years now) while STC pumps out episodes with nary a hiccup.

16. northstar

If the members of each team see it as competition, then it should be for the better for us fans. Although we will have to see if STC can maintain the speed - they have far superior budget and so far they have only produced bottle shows - and these are very quick to produce (no new sets, no outdoor shoots). NV on the contrary always tries to do more complex stories that rarely only take place onboard the Enterprise.

But I would like to hear what Greg has to say about the B&S release status...

17. GSchnitzer

My understanding at the moment of the status of "Bread and Savagery" is incomplete and somewhat out of date. I'll weigh in here with better details when I have better details to share. I can say that there are no plans to abandon the episode--at least no plans that I know of. All discussions (and they've been minimal as we are in the throes of another shoot) have focused on how to get it finished, not how to abandon it.

Yes, $20K of our 2014 Kickstarter is allocated to getting it finished. No money from our 2015 campaign was earmarked for B&S. I understand the notion of not spending time and resources on newer episodes until B&S is completed--especially since we collected money toward that task. I'm not sure I concur with that notion, but I do understand it.

More details when I have more details.

And, as always, thanks for your interest and support.

18. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Actually, STC is over three years old at this point, having been announced in March of 2012, so it's not quite as fast as that.

Also, and more importantly, it's fairly clear to me that STC has more resources in the two most important areas: Money and Time. They do two shoots a year, spring and fall, where NV does one in the summer. They also raised quite a bit more money on their Kickstarters.

At the same time, I'd also say that Mind Sifter was a stronger episode than The White Iris and I'd rather have fewer stronger episodes than a greater number of weaker ones.

19. GSchnitzer

It's also not insignificant that some of the cast and crew of STC are former New Voyages/Phase II team members. We had a learning curve. (Well, we're still on that curve and always will be.) With the participation of NV/P2 people, STC got to have a shorter learning curve and they got to hit the bricks running.

You're welcome, STC. ;)

20. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

I know, I know. It's just that with so many projects out there, it is like having an entire season of Trek, but with different production teams working on different episodes. And when you have Star Trek Exeter finally completing an episode after so many years, and it's good, I realized that I can afford to wait for new stuff to come out. But, I do understand your point.