The Vampire Diaries - Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kosh Naranek, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so tired of the Originals on TVD as it is, I don't know if I can watch a spin-off with them.

As the last "normal human" member of the regular cast, how long until Matt's turned into a gillman or a mummy or something?

2. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Another one bites the dust.

I was not overly fond of Kol, but to me he was the only person making sense. RIP

Silas = Bad Idea Y'all

The one thing that keeps me from loathing Rebecca is the notion that all she really wants is a mortgage and to grow old with someone. I like that she is endlessly fascinated by mundane activities because she just wants drive a Prius and eventually become a member of AARP.

Plus, right now she is keeping at least one Salvatore semi off the Gilbert bandwagon and I like that. The look on Saint Elena's face when she realized that Stefan was not going to do her bidding and put Rebecca in storage was pretty priceless.

Bonnie is finally getting a story but I am sad for her. Granted Abby and Daddy Bennett are not going to win any parenting awards, but Bonnie just blithely causing Abby pain is a real measure of how far Professor Shane has taken her down the wrong path.

I still think Gilbert and Co are nitwits.

Jeremy might be getting a few brain cells. At least he acknowledged that he might have to go on the run with Katherine once Klaus makes it out of casa Gilbert. (Her name drop and Klaus being indisposed at the moment makes me think that Katherine is in on the Silas hunt.)

I sort of felt sorry for Kol, Klaus and all. Kol made a good point when he stated that Klaus probably did not have a real reason for putting him (Kol) in a coffin in the first place. Klaus probably just had a bad hair day and decided to shelf his baby bro. It is telling though how fast Klaus acted when he realized that Kol was in real trouble. Joseph Morgan's face in that doorway as Kol was dying was a great image.

Does it creep anyone else out that the Gilberts just became mass murderers? Jeremy is now programmed to kill vampires, but... When they killed Finn, they had no idea that killing him would end countless others. But with Kol, they knew what they were doing and did not care. Kol was a loose cannon, but who is to say that the other beings tied to him were all that bad and deserving of death? ...and they were not doing it for the greater good.... It just seemed selfish.

Well...stay tuned to see what the ninnies pull next week.

3. js

js Captain Captain

Judging by the scene in the hallway that Matt oversaw last night and knowing that Rebekah must survive to go to the spinoff - I'm calling it: Matt dies at the end of this season saving Rebekah, which finally turns her "good" for the spinoff show.

Or maybe Caroline dies saving Tyler to turn Klaus better, though less likely. But I'm thinking that it was important that Matt overheard Rebekah's desire to just be a real girl and saw her willingly giving up the dagger to Stefan.

They can't go into a spinoff with no conflict between the siblings other than "don't dagger me, bro!"

4. js

js Captain Captain

All of this. :)

Especially the shoutout for Joseph Morgan's crying outside the door while his brother dies - the writers LOVE to make him cry because he does glistening eyes and trembly lip so well. And this was great and moving, but it's getting a bit overused.

And speaking of overused, okay Julie Plec, I get that you love the eye candy and that any excuse to have the guys on the show with their shirt off is a good excuse for ya, but SERIOUSLY? Even I busted out laughing when Jeremy had to Hulk out and just rip his shirt in half to tear it off his newly-buff body. Steven McQueen has been an unsung gem on this show from the beginning and I'm glad he's getting a storyline that doesn't involve angsting over a chick, but that "oh, I must rip my shirt off to show the tattoo" moment was just ridiculous. Sorry.

5. Kosh Naranek

I laughed like a loon and not in a good way.

Who is he - the Incredible Hulk? They should have just shown the tat growing up his arm and possibly up his neck a bit.

We got to see all of Becca's boy toy tat. We knew what it looked like.

That was just a :wtf: ending to an otherwise pretty solid ep.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was his talking to the dead a hunters power, or did he have two powers?

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Ditto

I'm still not even clear why Elena wants the cure, and that's putting aside the stupidity of them putting the planet at risk for the opportunity. Is she trying to prove something to herself (regarding her love for Damon not being a function of the sire bond)? It made more sense when we thought she couldn't eat pig's blood.

8. js

js Captain Captain

No, he was talking to the dead prior to being a Hunter - I think the mythology is if a character has died (which he's done a few times), it "lifts the veil". At one point Matt deliberately drowned so he could talk to the dead as well IIRC.

9. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, here's a question. Maybe I've missed it along the way (because I'll admit this show is usually on but large parts are background noise for me sometimes), but why couldn't Klaus, the big bad hybrid Original just compel Damon in the opposite direction from Kol and neutralize the compulsion that way? I mean, they seem to be able to compel the brains out of anybody else, so why not?

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's always been a potential Hunter.

There is no prior to being a Hunter.

11. js

js Captain Captain

Point is, it was established that other people (like Matt) could talk to the dead. So unless Matt too is a potential Hunter, it's a separate power.

Witches can also talk to the dead, so unless Bonnie is a potential Hunter too, it's a separate power.

12. Kosh Naranek

Good point - I don't think the show has really ever dealt with "counter compulsion" (for a lack of better term).

Once "compelled" the show seems to go with -
    1. Complete the compelled action and be released.
    2. Compeller releases the compelled.
    3. Put them in a box. I think that was a new one.

Klaus wanted put Kol in storage and end the compulsion. Klaus probably wanted that route instead of "counter compulsion" since Kol defied him. It may have been more punitive and personally satisfying for a man that just loves toting his family around in boxes.

I think the overriding compulsion is the original one, but it can be countermanded.

For example, the man captured by Rebecca and Stefan killed himself rather than let the vervain in his sytem wear off. Whoever compelled him foresaw his potential capture and ended any complications that would arise from said capture by having him off himself before the vervain cycled out and he could be compelled again. (I vote Katherine.)

13. Kosh Naranek

I am a sucker for a cool looking poster. I like this one.

[​IMG]

14. js

js Captain Captain

I like the components of it and would love to see the original individual poses, but hate the horrible photoshopping job!

15. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why exactly would anyone want the cure for immortality, anyway. It isn't just that their methods are dangerous, it's that their goal makes absolutely no sense. They're trying to trade super powers and eternal life for the ability to suffer from horrible physical and mental degeneration before inevitably dying.

They could just buy adult diapers and go around shitting all over themselves and pretend to be mortal that way. They'd get the exact same benefits without all the hassle.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing I do have to compliment the writers on, they actually make a fair amount of progress in each episode. I didn't expect them to call Kol so soon. I actually enjoyed this episode, even if I'm not thrilled with all whole "kill Kol to kill his line" stuff.

17. Kosh Naranek

Well, welcome to the Basil Exposition of episodes.

Is anyone else concerned about the Vervain in the water supply? Because if they can't shower due to horrible burning sensations, they are all gonna be vampire ripe soon.

Was anyone truly shocked that Shane had less than pure ulterior motives? Anyone? But, they got really bogged down in tell. There was very little show.

I have to give props to Rebecca this episode. I am liking her more and more. I love that she called the Elena cult on their double standards. She did what she did to Elena (with more flair) because doing so would save her family. She is only perceived as evil because God forbid anyone else do horrible things to save someone they love. Plus, she finally called them out on killing not 1 but 2 members of her family, and betraying her more often than they change their clothes.

Klaus' body count was addressed, and I felt the door opening for his exit. They used the Caroline bite to illustrate how horrid he had been in the past, complete with Mystic Falls family body count tally. Then they talk about his redemption. Bye Klaus! You are off to New Orleans to be redeemed and spend some time with your hot brother.

Stefan has more depth away from Elena.

Is there ever going to be time in which poor Bonnie does not ultimately turn into a plot device?

Now taking bets on the new hunter saving their backsides before going out in a blaze of glory.

18. js

js Captain Captain

Given that they have not yet announced Rebekah/Claire Holt as a cast member of the spinoff show, whereas they have announced casting for other new roles for it, I'm now starting to wonder if she's going to be the one to get the tragic ending this season. (It wouldn't be TVD without tragic endings somehow!) I wonder if they find a cure, she becomes human and then gets killed for the irony of it? Hmm...

And once again, Julie Plec wubs the teary-eyed Joseph Morgan, so we get lots of long loving shots of him weepy-contemplative over Caroline. Ugh - I am so looking forward to getting the Originals off this show!

19. js

js Captain Captain

I'm also wondering about this 3rd massacre required to raise Silas. That can't be good.

I also don't think "the cure" will be something simple like "drink this potion". I think it will turn out to have a major cost - a life (or several lives) for a life.

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they will find the cure and Rebecca will take it and turn human and find out that it turns your body to the natural human state you'd have been in had you never become immortal. So she turns into a thousand year old pile of bones or dust. Elena can take the cure and return to normal since she'd have only aged a year, Caroline could as well, the Mother, etc... but neither of the mains could since they were turned in the mid 1800s so it restores to the show to where it was when it began vampire wise.