The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

At least he's not talking about using such bad guys as: King Tut, The Bookworm, Louie De Lilac, or Egghead.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clock King.

3. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

JGL as Jean-Paul Valley, maybe?

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Sheesh. Nolan is getting close to Tim Burton-ian levels of reusing cast members.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least they're good actors.

I would think the response on this board would be quite different if instead of Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nolan had announced the casting of Mario Lopez, Paris Hilton and Vanilla Ice.

6. Trekker4747

Well, so is Johnny Depp. ;)

Well, sure. Go from one extreme to the other. ;)

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

At least Nolan doesn't use the same actor or two for every single movie he does.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. JacksonArcher

I've watched that so many times. I love Danny Elfman's bit. :guffaw:

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Next summer can't get here soon enough.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Not when he's working with Burton...

12. Trekker4747

Lately? Yeah.

I loved the College Humor video of the meeting of Burton and his "creative team" and Elfman bit is hilarious because Elfman has gotten pretty much in the same Rehash/Reuse Rut that Burton is, only not nearly as bad.

Sort of a double-edged sword here. It can be argued that pretty much every director reuses the same cast and crew members he's has success with. Spielberg, Howard, Burton, Cameron, Nolan plenty of others have lots of commonalities between each movie usually reusing actors, reusing production people, score writers, etc. But Burton, rightfully, gets picked on because he's done it down right mundane levels. Most other directors will use those same elements but will actually, maybe, make things a bit different here and there or at the very least make a good story.

Burton? He's playing "paint by numbers" at this point and he's not even doing it to tell a good story or to tell a good story in an interesting or new way. Basically, Burton is phoning it in.

So, yeah, Nolan is resuing the same actors and production people but at the very least he's telling good stories and making movies worth seeing.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh yeah? When was the last time he made a movie without Michael Caine?

14. Trekker4747

Obviously Michael Cain is Nolan's John Ratzenberger.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Christopher mostly likely "Insomnia". I have no problem with directors reusing actors they've worked with before in previous films. Shows a comfort level with their work and probably that they can get along with each other and a measure of trust.

16. JacksonArcher

Michael Caine had a supporting role in The Prestige and he had a cameo in Inception. I don't see how that's comparable to Tim Burton, who reuses Johnny Depp and/or Helena Bonham Carter for lead roles in nearly every movie he does.

Also, that's an unfair comparison because Burton has done more movies than Nolan, and it seems like Caine is Nolan's lucky charm, and might appear in every other Nolan movie from hereon in either small or supporting roles, but I don't see how that's comparable to reusing the same main actor or two for every movie in a lead capacity. It would be something if Caine was the lead in The Prestige and Inception but he wasn't.

17. Obiwanshinobi

So Big Fish was his last movie that didn't have Depp in it? Helena Bonham Carter was in it though if I recall.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Looks that way, with Planet of the Apes being the last with neither. Although I think he has a movie in production without either right now.

19. Obiwanshinobi

ah nope, she was in that one too.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Quoted for truth. One of the things that Schumacher films seems to be unfairly criticized for was making Robin older. There are plenty of things to criticize those films for, but this isn't one of them, imho.

In a comic, having a 13 year-old Robin works because it is a comic. The suspension of disbelief can stretch further. In a live-action movie, that suspension of disbelief isn't as strong to allow a 13 year-old to fight along side Batman.

How old was Robin suppose to be in BF/B&R, anyway? 18? 19? I know Chris O'Donnell was in his mid-20s, but that hasn't stopped Hollywood from casting people in their 20s as later teens.

Also, did they ever call Robin "Boy Wonder" in those films? Or indicate that Bruce took him on as his ward? From what I remember, Bruce basically offered him a place to stay since his family was gone and Dick had no real place to go (of course the shared experience of their parents dying undoubtedly fueled that).

Wow...that was quite the tangent.

That being said, Nolan has stated time and again that Robin won't be in his take on Batman. As such, I don't expect Robin to show up a Nolan Batman film.