Guinan in ENT novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Freman, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From Memory Alpha:
    Guinan was slated to appear in an episode planned for the unproduced fifth season of Star Trek: Enterprise entitled "The Treatment". Under the assumed name "Claranna", she would have been acting personal assistant of the head of the United Earth Space Probe Agency. More of her background would have been revealed, including what she was doing there since the time of Mark Twain.

Any chance this could be worked into any future ENT novels? I think it'd be great!

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Cool. I've always dug Guinan. I think she's the best character that Whoppi Goldberg has ever played.

I'd too would love to see her appear in an Enterprise novel, but only in a limited way. Too much, and it would seem a little too fan-wanky. A cameo would be perfect. I've always felt that to get the best out of her character you need Picard. Even though Guinan is centuries old and has been on Earth before, Picard always seemed like her true link to humanity.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except it would contradict my Guinan backstory from The Buried Age, which asserted that she hadn't been to Earth between the 1890s and the 2290s.

4. Paris

Then it's a good thing that the episode was never made. Her role in The Buried Age was exactly what I was talking about. It wasn't a huge role, but she was really important. Making sure Picard went back to Starfleet was not only important for her (he needed to save her life down the line after all), but for Starfleet in general. Picard is the kind of captain that only comes along once a generation :D.

5. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh. I withdraw the request then. Haven't read TBA yet, so I wasn't aware of that. :)

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So what? Books aren't canon. And neither is your fan fiction. The novels are free to contradict one another, or have you forgotten that?

7. Paris

^You do know that the books Christopher writes aren't fanfic, right? You do know that he's one of the regular treklit authors who just so happens to hang around here and talks with the fans...

8. OmahaStar

Stephanie Meyer talks with people who read her fan fiction too. I wouldn't call the work published under her name literature either. I'll stick with the good writers, thanks. :)

9. Paris

^Ouch. That's kind of prick-ish :wtf:. I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion though...

10. 21Spike65

21Spike65 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm, I didn't catch that. Guess that in itself contradicts Guinan's appearance in Greg Cox's Eugenics Wars books...Now I don't know what to believe. :p

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Interesting, though I'd be curious to know what MA's source is for this info.

And needless to say, Guinan wouldn't need to be on Earth to play part in an ENT story...

12. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Chill out.

13. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

That's OmahaStar for you. That's why I like the "ignore" feature so much. :)

14. Paris

Thanks. Now I'll know for the future :techman:

15. OmahaStar

Yes, yes, that's two threads now in which you've claimed to have me on ignore. And that's funny, because you keep quoting me, which means you do keep reading what I'm saying, whether it's this thread, or the deepdiscount.com thread, or others. For someone who claims to be ignoring me, you sure do keep following me around a lot.

And it all goes back to that idiot who ran outpost gallifrey. Really, dude, you need to let it go.

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it really needed to have Guinan interact with the crew of the NX-01? What about meeting Kirk's crew before 2290, even if not near the Solar System?

17. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

How does such a seemingly benign thread topic turn so nasty?

Everyone could be a little nicer, sure, but the only post here I see as needing comment on is this:

The "That's OmahaStar for you." part was not necessary to convey the suggestion that Paris place him on ignore.

Keep things about the post(s) and not the poster(s) please, thanks.

18. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

But it's so much fun to insult one of the regulars here who's a pro novelist and a longtime fan!

... Oh, that's not what you're talking about. Never mind.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, they theoretically are, but these days they generally don't.

As for Guinan: I haven't read The Buried Age, but exactly *how* do we know that Guinan hadn't been to Earth in all that time? Just because she said so? ;)

20. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

What a good point, Steve. Thank you!