Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HaplessCrewman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have long advocated for the extinction of this Frankensteinian breed of dog. I stopped going to visit a friend because he decided to let his pit bulls have free run both outside and INSIDE the house. All too often I see cases such as this in the South, where I live.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the first problem is less the dogs and more the parents not noticing when their child got out of the house.

4. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That can happen, I don't really lay the fault on that too much. And I don't lay the fault on the dogs either nor the child. The fault is having the dogs in the first place.

Someone would need to provide me a valid reason for their existence for me to support someone who had them. I don't see them serving any purpose at all.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My cousin had a couple of pit bulls. They were VERY nice dogs, but he did keep them in very large enclosures and his toddler was not allowed in. Just in case.

6. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

This sad case of the death of a toddler comes soon after the mauling to death of a British teenager.

and

and one of the worse aspect of the case?

SOURCE

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I despise how whenever this happens it always turns into "ZOMG MOST EVIL DOGS EVER."

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The dogs aren't evil, they're just dangerous to own. I know several people that go on and on about how "that breed" isn't any more dangerous than other breeds. It's bullshit. Yeah, your own dog might be a sweetheart, but seven of them just tore a toddler apart. A toddler that they knew.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Pit bulls are generally more docile than other breeds the same size. The reason that you hear about so many bad ones are (aside from media knowing people will read it) that pits are fight dogs, taught (not bred) to be aggressive and have such a strong jaw that IF they are agressive, they're going to fuck someone's world up.

Chow's are worse, but since they're so weak comparatively you don't hear about what they do.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone want a dog their own kid can't go near.

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

The area I live at near Ft Bragg, NC is not horrible but its not great and that reflects in some of the people that live there (not all, but some). A neighbor on one side of my house has dogs that are locked in a pen 24/7, rain or shine. They feed the dogs by dumping the dogfood over the top of the kennel onto the ground. I've never seen them go into the kennel to clean it. Cops said they can't do anything since they are sheltered and being fed and water.

Neighbors on the other side have pits and a bull mastiff that are also outside probably 99% of the time. The yard is destroyed (I can see it from my upstairs window) and their kids cannot go into the yard and play because it is so nasty.

I hate where I live and only moved in there because the Army changed my orders on me at the last minute so I had to find some place quickly because we were moving from Ft. Polk, LA. If I had seen the place in person I would have never moved there.

But I asked myself the same questions all the time. What's the point of having "pets" if you can't go near them or don't take care of them? The animals are miserable and these people just do not care. It sickens me and especially since the cops can't do anything about it.

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

^I think some people own dogs simply for a power trip. They like the idea of controlling a "lesser" being. They want to assert their dominance over the dog. They don't actually give a shit about the well-being of the animal, but you can bet that if someone tries to intervene and take the pet away, they will flip out and get angry that anyone would even consider messing with THEIR property.

Sadly, some people treat their fellow humans this way as well. Assholes make me sad.

13. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Agreed.

Individual dogs owned by irresponsible people are dangerous. An entire breed is not. It is up to people to educate themselves on breed characteristics and to only choose a breed that matches their lifestyle and their ability to keep the animal obedience trained.

When I was working as a trainee vet assistant I received my worst injuries from small dogs. Tiny fear biters were far more worrisome to us than large, well trained, well socialized, dogs who knew they had nothing to fear.

There was a time when people wanted to eliminate German Shepherds (my favourite breed of dog...a breed I could never personally own because my lifestyle will not match his breed characteristics), Dobermans, and Rottweilers. People have learned that these are all fantastic breeds when owned by responsible people who train and socialize them properly.

I hope someday the Pit Bull will be on this list as well. They are generally kind, docile dogs when not owned by people who want a visible symbol of how "tough and dangerous" they are themselves.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Darwinism.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't the Humane Society do anything? You should call them.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I live in Massachusetts and that's actually not against the law. I have some neighbor who has 2-3 dogs that NEVER leave the cage unless he goes hunting. Just as the cops said, if they have a shelter and water you can do whatever you want to the dogs. And Mass has banned dog racing for animal cruelty.

17. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Pit bulls are responsible for almost half of all fatal dog attacks on humans, usually children. They've been banned in Ontario since 2005, which is something I am quite happy about.

18. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

First off: What a horrific, tragic event. To lose a child, especially one so young, has got to be incredibly traumatic and my heart goes out to all involved. That said:

Seriously?

How a family, with over half-a-dozen dogs, can lose track of a 21-month-old toddler is beyond me. Asking a 12-year-old to be responsible? In that environment? Sorry, no matter what breed of dog, no matter its reputation (and, perhaps even because of its reputation), the responsibility falls on the adults of the household. They are, by definition, at fault.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The problem most likely lies with the owners and not the dogs. Dogs are usually quite friendly with children and with people in general so long as they don't feel threatened. When dogs will get dangerous is when they are trained to be dangerous or when they're not treated well.

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The breed mat not be at fault, but if the breeders contually breed the more aggressive to the more aggressive, can't the result be a kind of genetic default to an aggressive dog? Regarding German Shepards, didn't they have to bring in new bloodlines fromEurope to "clean" the bloodlines in the US--or am I misremembering?