Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HaplessCrewman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I can't right now since I'm deployed. I did call Animal Control before I deployed and they said the same thing as the cops. I guess in North Carolina its not much different than Mass. like another poster said.

What's sick is both these families are military, one retired (the one that keeps the dogs caged) and the other active duty. You'd think soldiers would have a little more compassion because we see so much suffering both human and animal, but I guess there are scumbags in all professions and walks of life.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman:

3. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The problem lies with the owners, not the breed.

In this case, I don't question the breed as much as the number of dogs the family owns. Granted, I don't know their particular situation, but I'd think it would be hard to properly socialize 9 dogs without specialized training and/or experience.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yes, because most people who own Pitt Bulls treat them like shit and they learn to act like shit and they're extremely powerful dogs so when they act like shit around someone, that someone usually gets hurt, and the reason children get killed are because they have zero defense. There is zero connection between the breed and it's agression. It's not like Pitt Bulls are naturally attracted to delicious infant humans.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

This may be a tad inappropriate, but I can't help thinking of Jeff Foxworthy's joke: "If your front porch collapses and kills more than three dogs, you might be a redneck."

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It mystifies me that some people place more importance upon animals (or breeds) than upon human life.

I still stand by my earlier statement. This breed has been bred for fighting. Just as some are bred as gentle lap dogs by choosing appropriate characteristics; the pit bull was bred for aggressive characteristics. This makes it a dangerous breed.

7. Squiggy

Have you actually interacted with a pitbull?

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh, FFS. Just because those people who do have positive experiences or knowledge of the breed offer a different explanation for their frequent involvement in mauling deaths than you do doesn't mean that they're placing more importance on animals than upon human life (well, some people on TBBS do, but I don't think it's anyone in this thread so far). Just because they defend the breed and criticize the owners who misuse and abuse the dogs doesn't mean they're indifferent to babies being mauled or anything like that. That's just insulting and ridiculous. You really need to learn to cut back on the hyperbole.

9. Squiggy

cum hoc propter hoc

Because there is a disproportionate number of African-Americans in prison, then they are more prone to be criminals.

This is science.

10. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

11. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Thank you Locutus (and everyone else who has weighed in). I was just too frustrated and tired when I read that comment to reply. I was afraid I'd get very rude and very personal so I decided not to post, but you all said the things I wanted to say.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really want to hear more about this family. Unless you're a breeder, then you have no need to own nine dogs, let alone pitbulls. I'm sure they were the sweetest, kindest, most loving dogs ever to walk the earth, but when you have more than say, two, you have created a pack, and that pack's territory was the backyard and the child invaded that territory. That result is expected.

13. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

In Australia one generally has to have a kennel license to own more than 2 dogs and I assume this is so in many other places in the world.

I know that my local council doesn't issue kennel licenses it for most urban surburbs.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Not so in at least most places in America. I wish it were.

15. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

In my county you can have up to four dogs without obtaining a special breeding/kennel license (exceptions are made for puppies). But I'm not even sure the county even issues special licenses- I think they just have to register as a kennel or a breeder.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-death-SEVEN-pit-bulls-Bryan-County-yard.html seems to have a few more details.

I think 4 dogs is the line where you just have to start calling someone crazy. 1 dog is great. I could see getting 2 if you don't want your dog to be lonely while you're at work. Fine. 3 you're starting to push it, but whatever... 4? You're just fucking nuts sorry.

The mother's 18 years old, the daughter was almost 2... well. You do that math. Not necessarily dealing with the most responsible people here. I mean come on. A kid that young? You set up those little toddler gates/fences so they can't get themselves killed. Is it really that hard?

17. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

The pictures in the link above make this story even more upsetting.

18. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I think this is an extremely unlikely assertion. Do you have any actual data to back that up?

19. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I'm not sure that three is an out of line number. Sometimes it happens.

The age of the people involved is a telling thing though. How many people can say that they were responsible people at 18?