Pegg updates on script

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 25, 2015.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-trek/34692/star-trek-3-simon-pegg-gives-an-update

Apparently the script still isn't finished!

"the timeframe we're working in is extremely tight. It means we're having to come up with the goods. We can't be lazy about it".

How tight? Well, the screenplay needs to be done by June ("come hell or high water"). "The production is hammering on the door asking 'when can we build this? What are we gonna build? Who's in it?". "It's an interesting process", he notes.

How is he approaching the film? With some reverence. "I have to abide by certain rules and do right by the original series, and not be too post-modern with it and not be too aware of itself. I have to try to take on the spirit of the show, rather than fill it with stuff that people will just go 'oh, yeah, that’s from episode something or other'. It’s more than that".

He also touched on how he got the writing job, recalling that he and producer Bryan Burk were chatting about the direction to take the film, and musing whether "we should go back to the drawing board, a little bit, with the screenplay". It was after these discussions that Burk invited Pegg to take a crack at the script, something he adds is "a big responsibility".

Seems Pegg and Burk weren't too fond of the Orci/Payne/McKay script. It'll be very interesting if/when the original storyline eventually comes out, to compare with the Justin Lin-drected, Simon Pegg/Doug Jung-written movie.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I don't see any point in that interview where he states he "is a Star Trek fan", so apparently he is not really qualified to write the script. :devil:

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I suspect he will finish the script by the time it's done.

That said, I like Pegg's opportunity, but now I'm not sure I trust a writer who begins a sentence with "Me and Bryan Burk..." It would, however, meet my expectations of most bloggers.

5. Jedi_Master

There no reason to rate a writer on his or her recorded comments in an interview for a website, just like you don't rate a fashion designer by what pajamas they wear around the house on a Sunday afternoon.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I ignore fashion designers and the industry in general as superficial, parasitic, unhealthy and useless. So bad example.

I take language much more seriously and I want career writers to be able to write. But they can go ahead and write in the style of The Color Purple - that's fine when poor grammar is intentional. Even when grammar isn't the issue, another for me is putting yourself first in the sentence. Grammar or no, it's an attitude that comes across as me-first. That said, I like Pegg so far. I'm not judging the person - just his grammar. He won me with Shaun of the Dead when it was first released. Some of my best friends use poor grammar. But none are bloggers.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Grammargate is upon us!

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I've been to enough conventions and conferences that I've lost track of the sheer amount of writers (fiction, non-fiction, academic, research, and otherwise) who use incorrect or colloquial grammar when talking directly to an audience, only for them to proceed to talk about their otherwise flawless work.

Editors, proofreaders, and multiple drafts are unsung heroes. And they do what they do so that we don't miss the forest for the trees.

10. Jedi_Master

11. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Bryan Burk (and maybe JJ) didn't like orci script and they found that the studio would not approve. Perhaps, Simon has given good ideas and they found interesting to write.

"The timeframe we're working in is extremely tight." I suppose that Simon is starting from scratch. Otherwise, he would be making adjustments.

"do right by the original series", "have to try to take on the spirit of the show", "not fill it with stuff that people will just go 'oh, yeah, that’s from episode something or other".
    The intention is good.

12. ralph

13. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ralph - Thats what I'm thinking. One thing that I've kind of thought of for a while that Pegg maybe sorta kinda alluded to was that Orci's disagreement may have been with Bad Robot itself, not Paramount.

14. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Why is Pegg "going back to the drawing board"? Star Trek Into Darkness made $467,381,584 worldwide and has 87% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I hope they are not tossing out what Orci did. He is an extremely successful screenwriter who has a track record of writing hits.

Why is Paramount changing things?

15. ralph

Don´t get me wrong, but that is not to say that his script is good.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, for several reasons, they can't/won't undo the work Orci did in the previous movies, of course. That would just be one huge continuity error full of smaller ones (besides, Pegg was there).

Rather, I'd hazard a guess in that Orci's draft wasn't nearly close to done either, and so uncompleted concepts remain just that, uncompleted. And in writing, it's often the case that you just disregard the unfinished work on there, because sometimes it takes more effort to build from a certain point than to build from scratch. That's nothing personal to Orci, it's just the nature of writing and Hollywood; and something Orci's done for other movies anyway. Some movies go through several scripts and rewrites, and even then someone like Orci could be hired at the last minute to just start all over again.

17. Serveaux

I think there's a lot not being said by the participants; Pegg is probably being diplomatic.

My guess is that studio execs simply didn't like the Orci script and wanted a different kind of story for the film.

18. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't Orci remaining on as producer? Did they have to scrap his script and fire him too? A bit of an ignominious fate, wouldn't you say?

Maybe Into Darkness was more problematic than previously suspected.

We'll never know...

19. Serveaux

It's about the next movie, not the last one.

20. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

I heard idris elba is in talks to play a Klingon villain, I am fine with that vas long as he is not looking for revenge.