♫ Gloom & Doom♫

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gil T.Azell, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm kinda liking this new Stones song.
    has some of their old Kick ass feel to it.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFGWVKXxm0[/yt]

2. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's no "Gimme Shelter" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash"--a little on the "generic" side...but it's actually quite good. Mick sounds like he's lost a little of his vocal distinctiveness, though I suppose that's due to age.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not bad, want to give it a couple more spins, which is more than I can say of a lot of latter-day efforts I've heard lately.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sounds like a song you'd hear on the end credits of a movie. Not bad tho, it's got some life to it.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

If losing "vocal distinctiveness" is what it takes to make him sound like this, then good riddance. Mick hasn't sounded this good for MANY years. In fact he sounds like he somehow has managed to shave a few years off those vocal cords. The band's playing also sounds pretty crisp and not sloppy which makes me wonder if Keith was involved in the sessions.

The song itself reminds me of "Jumpin Jack Flash" -- just sing the old "jumpin jack flash is a gas gas gas" over this song's chorus. Not bad for a bunch of 70 somethings.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I dig it, too. Though the lyrics and tone hit rather close to the bone these days... :p

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^They gotta keep up with popular culture and all that.

8. Rush Limborg

Indeed. Mick invoking fighting zombies in a swamp--understandable, considering the rampant obsession with zombies among our youth culture. *sigh*

BTW--by "vocal distinctiveness", I'm referring to Mick's intense pronunciation of syllables, in the Stones' classics of old. ("PlEased to mEEt yOU--hope you gUEss maaaaaaaaah nAme!" "Ah was borrrrrrrrrrrrrrn in a class fIve HurricANE," etc.) His voice in this song sounds comparatively relaxed.

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first single of the Stones' 50th anniversary year and Keith Richards not involved in the sessions? Doesn't seem likely! Anyway you can totally hear him playing.

I agree on Mick's vocal, it seems more energized and less mannered than on a lot of their recent stuff. I'm not crazy about the thick drum sound, it kind of muddies out Charlie's touch, but it'll do. Pretty good track overall.

"Crossfire hurricane."

Justin

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a bad track so far.

11. Rush Limborg

That actually proves my point--Mick's vocal intensity had a kind of "accent" way back when--"cross" sounded like "class", etc. ;)

12. gblews

Dude, just admit you didn't know the lyric. It's no disgrace, we've all had one of those "class five hurricane" moments. :lol:

13. Rush Limborg

^I believe I kinda did.... ;)

14. gblews

No, you didn't. You tried to wiggle out of admitting you didn't know the lyric by claiming that Mick's lack of "vocal intensity" caused you to think he was singing "class five hurricane". You said, essentially, "it was Mick's fault, not mine". :)

15. Rush Limborg

^No...I didn't say it was due to his lack of vocal intensity. ;)

At any rate--it was my mistake. I'm simply saying the mistake was due to a mis-hear, on my part, due to his intense pronounciation of certain vowells, etc.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you hit google there's a few hits for "I was born in a class five hurricane".