Trekspeak - Fan Film Interview Show

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by trekspeak, Mar 7, 2012.

1. trekspeak

trekspeak Ensign Red Shirt

Hello all at Trekbbs,
    I wanted to let you know about a Video Podcast on Youtube and Itunes called Trekspeak.
    The most recent episode features an interview with John Atkin who is overseeing a project which intends to revive a Star Trek fan film from 1985 that was never finished.

Yorktown : A Time to Heal featured George Takei playing Sulu in between Star Trek III and IV. Due to an article in Starlog magazine at the time, many people are aware of the film however very little footage has ever been seen.

In this video interview available also as a podcast on Itunes, John shares the background on the film including how Stan Woo managed to get George Takei involved as well as Andrew Probet who designed starships for the film. The film is now being remastered from old negatives with new footage being shot and John discusses how the old footage will be matched to the new. What ships are we going to see courtesy of Roland Baron(Of Gods and Men, VFX)?, How have the old cast reacted to the remastering and many more questions are discussed in this 37 minute interview.

Youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQCKawMei6Q

The video includes never before seen Yorktown footage featuring Sulu and a glimpse at the new Klingon scenes recently filmed to be added the original footage and also many photos from the set, new ship designs and much more.
    A new VFX trailer is available and that is also included as well as a commonly available non remastered trailer.

If this is of any interest to you or your readers, feel free to share it.
    Thanks alot and I will include links to the 3 available videos all of them discussing a different fan film project with another film maker.
    I hope to cover many more subjects in the future.

George Takei Fan Film Interview : Youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQCKawMei6Q
    Star Trek : The Final Darkness fan film interview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFdFV-znso
    Star Trek : Project Potemkin fsn film interview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKHGuBb9fM

http://www.trekspeak.com (Links to Youtube page)
    Trekspeak on itunes
    http://www.twitter.com/trekspeak
    http://www.facebook.com/trekspeak

2. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Very informative and enjoyable interviews.

Thanks,

Sir Rhosis

3. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was great! I can't wait for more!

4. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Thank you for doing this. I enjoyed it very much. This is a great idea.

5. trekspeak

Thanks for the comments guys, very much apperciated.
    I hope to do more very soon.

6. robin079

robin079 Guest

thank you[​IMG]

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I've linked to your broadcast website and to each podcast from the appropriate pages at Star Trek Reviewed.

8. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Sci fi channel used to have a half hour show dedicated to sci fi 'Buzz'. If you turned into an entertainment type talk show, I don't see why it can't be nationally syndicated somewhere on tv. To me science fiction is as big a thing as music is, as there is many aspects and types of it - there's lit, tv, movie, internet, etc. - like music, there's pop, rock, musical theater, movie music, classical music, etc. Emphasizing the creative aspects like a music or sci-fi magazine would and give it a cool sci-fi name, not the Buzz, but something wierd and interesting like 'The Monitor' or something like 'Locus', etc. It could be a multi-media thing too branching out into lit, internet, etc. using writers interviewing other writers. Good luck with it.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think this series is a nice idea. I watched the one about Yorktown. It's nice to gave extended conversations with these people.

One small critique: visually that entry was pretty inert, especially because the same pictures and clips kept recycling, so after a short while you tend to stop watching and just listen like a radio show, which means I almost missed it when you finally showed some of the different footage.

10. trekspeak

Thanks for the comments and links, I appreciate it.
    I agree, visually it's always a challenge, it's ok to listen to it like a radio show and it is also on Itunes. The intention would be to use video skype whenever possible.

From what I have seen so far, the Trek fan film community is one of the most genuinely warm and supportive collective I have ever encountered. It's been a pleasure to find out about these projects.

11. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I love this show. keep it up.

12. Maurice

From your reply I'm not sure you got my point. Yes, you can listen to it as a radio show, but then you miss the video and photos. The specific issue I had was that you introduced new video 14.5 minutes into the podcast after showing the same footage over and over, but nothing in the audio tells you that the video had changed (as opposed to a "and here are 20 seconds of re-transferred footage for you to see").

13. trekspeak

The clip from 14:32-14:51 was shown at the 6.04 mark. But it's up to yourself if you want to stay watching or just listen. A title card informs you a few minutes in that new footage is coming.
    There is also new Klingon footage at the 9 minute mark also flagged with a title.

There is only a limited amount of material available on Yorktown at the present time. But new Sulu images and the on set pictures make a video worth while.
    Other interviews on the channel include a bit more visually as those series have filmed multiple episodes. Did you ever watch a news channel where they loop footage?. I get to cut away from me!.

But seriously this interview was recorded and then the chance came up thanks to the team to include production clips. I did not know this at the time of interview in order to be able to flag the clips arrival. But in fact the Klingon segment at 9 minutes and later in the video another new one are both discussed as the footage plays.
    This is a work in progress with lots more to come in every way but thanks for the comments!.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Maurice is right. I'd recommend saying, "Stay tuned until the end for some exclusive unseen footage from..."

15. xortex

Boy you guys are lazy. The interview is the most important part. Paying attention to two things at once is distracting.

16. Maurice

1. WHOM are you addressing? Trekspeak, or people like Kelso and I? Use a proper noun for Pete's sake.
    2. WHO is saying the interview is not the most import part?
    3. WHAT do you mean by, "Paying attention to two things at once is distracting"? Are you saying video clips shouldn't have been included?

I eagerly await your clarification.

17. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

In all fairness, Darren didn't have any of that extra footage until a few days after we did the interview. I was able to score some extra footage, and rushed it to him. The written video description below the posted video actually states: "The video includes never before seen Yorktown footage featuring Sulu and a glimpse at the new Klingon scenes recently filmed to be added to the original footage and also many photos from the set, new ship designs and much more..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQCKawMei6Q

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  18. Maurice

Yeah, but it's not heard to record an audio loop to cover that. It's just constructive feedback for future entries.

19. Maurice

Umm, isn't that what the topic here is about?

20. xortex

The Greeks have a saying. He who wants too much loses the little that he has.