Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greg's novelization arrived a few minutes ago! Can't wait to start reading it.

As for the Brainiac references, the codex itsself was shaped like Brainiac's Skull ship. I don't know if that was intentional or if I'm just reaching. Also the Phantom Zone ship projector device was shaped like his triangle logo. I think also in some of the infortmation data streams resembled the same. I'll have to see it again to see...but I'm not the only one of my friends who picked up on this. Very subtle stuff.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm jealous! I haven't seen a copy yet!

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's because the Codex is shaped like, um, a skull. So is Brainiac's ship.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was a big fan of the original way back when, but this just looks like another Cars 2 to me, where it's nothing but a bunch of silly gags and slapstick action.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The most endearing, and touching, part of Monsters, Inc. was Boo and the interaction between her, Mike and Sully. Without Boo I'm not sure the movie can work.

6. Greg Cox

FYI: io9.com has just posted the second chapter from the movie novelization, with Jor-El and the Genesis Chamber . . ..

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was really hoping the floating interface thing was following Jor-El around on Krypton would turn out to be Brainiac, but sadly it wasn't.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nope, that's almost directly from John Byrne's MOS. Even the name Kal-X. (sp?)

9. Admiral_Young

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Had Hollywood accounting not derailed Superman Returns, we could have seen Real Estate Lex become Corporate Executive Lex, since he's already swindled an old lady out of her money and company, and would be presumably wealthy enough to hide and start his own corporation (or simply rename Vanderworth Corporation Lexcorp) as well as afford a lawyer or two to get himself off (it would be hard to prove Lex had anything to do with the power disruptions and minor quakes.) With his brains, Luthor could invent a ton of stuff that would make him wealthy and liked, enough of course to still go after Superman 'because'.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Lex first would have had to find a way to get off that tiny island in the middle of nowhere before all that happened ;)

13. davejames

Was reading through a bit of the novelization, and I couldn't help but wonder about all the extra dialogue in there (such as in the interrogation scene where Hamilton theorizes about Superman's ability to fly). I'd be curious to know how much of that was in the original script, and how much is just embellishment from the author.

Either way, it's really good stuff, and makes me want to see an Extended Cut of this movie even more!

14. Greg Cox

Most of that dialogue was in the script. I was pretty scrupulous about sticking to the script.

15. davejames

Hmm, interesting. So I guess in the original version Lois actually did get the entire name "Superman" out there during the interrogation. It was only through some clever editing that they decided to cut her off like that.

16. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to reading the novelization because when watching the movie I felt like quite a few times the story in the movie went from point A to point C and skipped point B. Likely due to things being cut/trimmed.

17. Greg Cox

About the only thing I tweaked was working some of the Kryptonian names and terminology into the dialogue just so that Clark and Lois and the various military folks would know what the name of Zod's ship was, what Faora and Nam-Ek and Jax-Ur were named, etc. This was necessary because I wanted to be able to refer to the Kryptonians by name even if a scene was being told from the POV of Lois or Col. Hardy or Dr. Hamilton or whomever.

18. davejames

I thought the overall story still held together and flowed pretty well, but I admit it does still feel like a lot of stuff was cut out.

Especially in the scenes with Clark and Lois, which all feel just a bit too abbreviated somehow.

19. Greg Cox

Speaking of which, my author copies just arrived in the mail. Yippee!

I'm admiring them now . . ..

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what's the worst movie you've written the novelization for?