Joel Revisits TOS....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Joel_Kirk, May 16, 2012.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the script lists the Vulcan word as "Kroyka" But with her heavy accent, it's easy to hear it as something different.

BTW, she was married to Peter Lorre. Oy, I have this mental image of "Joel Cairo" from the "Maltese Falcon" sporting pointed ears!

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

"Amok Time" is one of the most significant episodes of the series not to feature Scotty (though he is mentioned in dialogue). Oddly, another is "Journey to Babel," the other big Vulcan episode, where Scotty is also absent but again mentioned in dialogue.

3. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two points not already addressed: 1) Spock has bowl cut. From him all the other Vulcan bowlcuts come. 2) Spock's theme is actually played on an electric bass, which is held like a guitar, and erroneously called a bass guitar, but is still an electric bass. It was, I believe, invented to facilitate playing jazz for larger arenas and audiences, without having to use an extra microphone, or figuring out how to on-instrument mike a double-bass.

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock's haircut is just fine, and there was a good variety of hairstyles seen on Vulcanoids in TOS and the TOS movies. But there was no reason for just about ALL Vulcan and Romulan males and females in later Trek to sport those nearly identical bad Moe Howard wigs. :wtf:

Kor

Joel_Kirk and Gary Mitchell like this.
  5. Phaser Two

All true except "bass guitar" and "electric bass" are used interchangeably; "bass guitar" is not an erroneous term at all. I've been playing for over 30 years.

6. FormerLurker

I've known players with music degrees that don't like the term, and refer to it as erroneous. That's where I got that from.

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I'm sure there are music forums whose members have lively and sometimes heated discussions disagreeing on definitions and such. It is probably as entertaining as it is here so sit back and watch the fun. :techman:

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quick, somebody tell the editors and publishers of Bass Guitar Magazine! :eek:

http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/

Seriously, I think this is just another instance of the ivory tower's formality differing from popular usage.

Kor

9. FormerLurker

It's possible. I'm unfamiliar with that particular magazine.

10. Phaser Two

I've got one of those too. :) "Bass guitar" is perfectly acceptable usage, and even the most common usage I'd say, apart from just calling the instrument a "bass." The only time anyone says "electric bass" is in the orchestral/jazz band context to differentiate it from a stand-up (upright) acoustic bass.

Kor likes this.
  11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    The Doomsday Machine

Story

A distress call from the U.S.S. Constellation leads the Enterprise to a destroyed solar system, L374, where they find said Constellation with one sole survivor, Commodore Matt Decker. Decker is hellbent on destroying the huge machine that killed his entire crew and nearly obliterated his ship. Decker manages to take command of the Enterprise (using his rank) while Kirk and a landing party are on the Constellation trying to get the battered ship running again; Decker plans on destroying it - Doomsday Machine - no matter the cost of additional lives. Spock eventually takes back the ship after Decker sacrifices himself in a bleak attempt to destroy the ‘doomsday machine’ in a stolen shuttlecraft; the Enterprise crew then have to utilize both the Constellation and Enterprise to destroy the machine.

Plot Issues/Plot Holes

●None.

Miscellaneous Thoughts

● William Windom is intense as Matt Decker. You get the sense that he is going through this immense headache and heartache being the only survivor out of 430+ people. At the same time, I’ve always got the amusing simultaneous thought that he seems ‘constipated’ each time he gets his panic attacks when confronting (literally and psychologically) the Doomsday Machine.

The fanfilm seriesStar Trek Phase II gave Commodore Decker a “Hollywood” ending: Somehow Decker survived and was shot to the past (the 21st century). Windom reprised his role.

●There is an ending joke. Yet, the joke wasn’t as offensive considering the events that led up to that moment. I felt the delivery was satisfactory.

●”Star Trek Online” has players meeting up with The Doomsday Machine in the 25th century, complete with the recurring music theme that accompanies said machine in this episode. Species 8472 also build their own machines dubbed ‘The Planet Killers.’

●There are jokes and exaggerations about the 'redshirts' of TOS (aka the security guards, even though there are non-security individuals who wear red - namely Uhura, Janice Rand, and Scotty). The fistfight between the guard and Commodore Decker is particularly interesting because the security guard probably could have taken down the Commodore if it wasn't for the plot. Of course, Decker could have been on an adrenaline kick since he was crazy obsessed (and psychologically disturbed) with getting off the ship to destroy the alien machine.

Score

4.3 out of 5.

A cool episode, but not with the weight of ‘Balance of Terror’ or even ‘Amok Time,’ even though William Windom's performance has an emotional intensity on its own.

Next Up
    Wolf in the Fold​

Phaser Two likes this.
  12. Joel_Kirk

Wolf in the Fold

Story

Captain Kirk has taken Scotty on a Risa-like planet, Argellus, to help him get over a concussion that occurred off-screen with Dr. McCoy tagging along. Unfortunately, when Scotty takes off to spend some time with an Argellian dancer, he is found with a bloody knife in his hand...the dancer killed. Kirk and McCoy now have to prove Scotty’s innocence while trying to figure out who the actual killer is.

Plot Issues/Plot Holes

●None.

Miscellaneous Thoughts

-The foggy night is reminiscent of foggy London, which reminds the viewer of Jack-the Ripper...which the episode references.

- Blonde psychological technician Lt. Karen Tracy, who is pretty attractive and in a blueshirt (or ‘blueskirt,’ rather) is murdered not long after she beams down. Her corpse is obviously a mannequin or life-sized doll, pun not intended. When Hengist gives her a sinister look, hinting heavily he’s up to no good.

- Scotty seems to have gotten over Lt. Palamas. However, it is said that Scotty may have a certain resentment towards women due to being FriendZoned a lot.

- Mr. Hengist had me smiling a few times. Granted, his character was questionable, but the actor playing him also is the voice of Piglet from Winnie-the-Pooh. And it was a bit funny hearing talk of ‘death’ with the voice of Piglet. Even some the acting overall by John Fiedler becomes a bit campy, especially when his character is found out.

-The ‘wolf in the fold’ of the title is obviously the individual possessed by Redjac.

-Shatner actually does a pretty good in this episode.

-No Chekov or Uhura in this episode, but we have Lt. Kyle, Lt. Leslie, Lt. Sulu, and Lt. Hadley.

-In middle school I tried to do a one-man reinactment of this episode. Being that I was severely shy and not used to talking to crowds (or at least, a crowded classroom) I failed. My ‘reinactment’ consisted of summarizing the episode in monotone, hands clasped in front me, standing still catching expressions of classmates who didn't know what the hell was going on, and - oh, yes -- I was in no uniform, just my 'street clothes.'

Embarrassing.

-Yeoman Tankris was hot (and didn’t have her name in the credits, btw). Of course, since she’s hot, she is a potential victim.

There is a shot of her during a briefing room scene where it is hinted that she may be getting a bit frightened based on some of the evidence presented. It is also interesting that it was brought out in the episode that women were apt to get more frightened because of their gender. (Interesting since we’ve seen men get highly frightened at things in previous episodes).

This may coincide with Redjac’s ‘hatred of women,’ especially those ‘he’ couldn’t get in ‘his’ previous life.

-The actor who portrayed ‘Mr. Morla’ was in the Adam West "Batman" series as a 'goon.' (I forget for which villain).

- The stunt double for Hengist is pretty obvious and laughable.

-The ending joke is ‘okay,’ given the circumstances.

Score

4.2 out of 5. It’s not a ‘bad’ episode, but the writer (and actor) in me gets a bit nitpicky. This one doesn’t necessarily go into my ‘routine’ TOS episode list, but settles in that list where I come back to certain episodes after I’ve watched episodes I personally think of being more ‘solid’ (e.g. the oft-mentioned “Balance of Terror,” for one).

Next Up​

The Changeling​

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's the actress in a stabbed-up uniform:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x14hd/wolfinthefoldhd0409.jpg

But I'm going on the stills and not a fresh viewing of the episode.

I also think the body needed more blood. They were supposed to be selling color TVs, for Pete's sake. The scene should have popped in color.

But seriously, this episode is far from a favorite of mine. It's a contender for "worst treatment of women," and entirely too casual about persons being butchered. And how about the lighthearted ending where Kirk wants to go back ashore to party in a strip joint, right where all these families are grieving, including the head of state who just lost his wife.

Judy McConnell was primarily a daytime soap actress after Star Trek. And yes, she was super-hot in her Briefing Room scene. Dazzling. Not enough screen time!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Joel_Kirk likes this.
  14. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

The classic moment is, of course, John Fiedler unexpectedly popping back to life after he's been dead awhile... Their leader is far too casual about hanging out with a probable killer, in his home, even after his wife is murdered. It screams out "This is just TV."

Joel_Kirk likes this.
  15. Joel_Kirk

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As I mentioned in my TNG, Season One review thread: My other writing projects (not to mention day job) has kept me busy and behind. I'm also trying to catch up on shows -- which are part of my writing projects (e.g. spec script ideas).

Stay tuned.

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

He looked to me to be a great person to be cast to play Superman/Clark Kent in a live action Superman movie or TV series; he has the Superman look, and and the George Reeves look as well.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Archer is no bigot towards Vulcans, either; he just doesn't like the way they regard humans, who are supposed to be their allies/partners. Let's face it, the Vulcans are being dicks towards human beings, a fact noted by the spirit of Surak seasons later.