"Hellraiser" TV series in development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, Apr 3, 2012.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/54242/new-hellraiser-tv-series-works
    via Variety
    A weekly horror series? I guess they are looking to be the American Horror Story on cable but for Hellraiser...
    There is a film remake thread in 2012:
    'Hellraiser' (2012) remake aiming for PG-13 crowd
    I can't find it on imdb now though to see the release date.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good Lord, an RHI Hellraiser series! Well, it'll be interesting to see if the change at the top means a difference in the company output.

Years ago I would've rolled my eyes entirely at the thought of a Hellraiser TV show but I think there's been a lot of good horror themed TV lately. It will depend on execution but I think this could work. I think it's an opportune time to try though.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Doesn't sound very Hellraiser-ish if it doesn't even belong in sci-fi and fantasy! :p (Sorry, that's my bit of mini-moderating over).

Wasn't there talk of a cinematic reboot of the franchise a few years ago? I'm not sure where they'd go with a tv version. Would it be Pinhead hosting a series of anthologies, like the Freddy's Nightmares (Nightmare on Elm Street-derived) show from some years back? How would you make a series based on Pinhead?

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Jesus wept."

(Sorry, someone was bound to post that).

I just don't see the appeal here; the "successful franchise" has been petering out with awful, straight-to-video titles since the fifth installment (of nine so far) and box office receipts start with $14.56 million for the first film and decline from there.

The first film isn't even that exceptional, and the sequels have proven that exploring the world of Pinhead and the Cenobites can only provide diminishing returns. A television series just sounds like a bad idea. Hopefully it can get Doug Bradley some work outside of the convention circuit, though.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was talk about a PG-13 reboot but it never went anywhere. The studio threw out a cheap, quickie sequel (Hellraiser 8? Hellraiser 9?) just to maintain the rights but it was so bad the guy who played Pinhead in every movie wouldn't even come back.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The studio released Hellraiser 9 a year or two ago on an incredibly tiny budget just so they could keep the rights and prevent a reboot, but their time is almost up again and I don't see a $10 budget 10th movie being made.

It really is time to dump all these idiotic direct to video embarrasments and let a show or movie reboot be made, I'd like to see an to date Pinhead/Hell even if it is on a TV budget.

7. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When Hellraiser: Revelations was released, I bought it on Blu-Ray sight unseen. So I guess this tv show is for people like me, regardless of quality.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I think it would get old pretty fast on a weekly basis.

9. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But only the first two movies were good anyway. I can't see a TV series of Hellraiser even making it off the ground.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's unlikely that there are enough people like you to keep a series on the air for any length of time. The show will have to find a wider audience than HR completists.

11. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's sad that the Pinhead in The Cabin in the Woods was far more menacing and creepy (and better-looking, makeup-wise) than the "new" Pinhead in Revelations.

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well apparently the Hellraiser TV series was never made as here we are in 2017 and nuthin! :wah:
    JB

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hear they retooled the show and it became "Young Sheldon."

Jason

Ar-Pharazon and johnnybear like this.
  14. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HaHaHa I haven't seen that one yet but I wouldn't be surprised!
    JB