The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Got my Capullo Nightwing finally. He would be one of my favorite figures ever, if mine hadn't come misassembled with two right gauntlets. Sigh. My LCS refused exchange, also so I'm stuck with it. I'm currently eyeing a loose one on ebay with a broken leg. I hope I can grab that cheap and cannibalize the part I need.

[​IMG]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your LCS REFUSED exchange? That's weird. Mine's usually pretty good with that.

3. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, mine's run by a bunch of assholes unfortunately.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Ah, okay. Never hurts to be sure.

5. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I don't have time to read 300+ pages at the moment, so I will just jump in here. I have recently restricted my collecting to 4" scale. I believe that these are true action figures and everything else are just poseable statues, mainly because at any larger scale, vehicles and playsets become cost prohibitive, and as Kenner proved with Star Wars, you need vehicles and playsets to create the world of the characters, even if it is just cardboard backdrops. I have all but 1 of the Megos, the ERTLs, the Galoobs, and the most recent Playmates. I also collect Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Black Hole, DCIH, MU, and the small Mego super heroes. I also make custom figures to fill out my collection.

CCC.

6. OdoWanKenobi

Welcome to the thread! The more the merrier. Once you get enough posts, we would all love to see some pics of your collection.

I'm gonna disagree with you slightly on scale. For me, the ideal scale is 6"-7". It's there that you can strike the best balance of level of detail and articulation vs. cost. That's what's great about the collecting hobby, though. There's something for everyone.

I got my first Guardians of the Galaxy figure, Rocket Raccoon.

He of course comes with a BFG, the torso piece of the BAF Groot, and some....thing that I'm sure I'll understand the purpose of once I see the movie:
    [​IMG]

He's disappointingly missing an articulation below the waist except for a swivel on his tail. As such, it's hard not to feel like he's lacking the value of the other figures, even if he does come with the big whatever that thing is.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Welcome! Feel free to post some pics of your collection if you want!

8. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

So then, imagine for a moment that you are a GI Joe collector in 6" scale, and think about how much you would have to pay at retail for a Flagg aircraft carrier playset? Really think you could afford it? How many collectors actually could? Compare the Flagg to the SHIELD Helicarrier they did for MU, and Hasbro did both, and they wanted over $70 for he Helicarrier at retail. It wasn't worth that much. I got lucky-$28 on clearance. Look at the Playmates TNG bridge. $50 for the most boring playset I ever had. The Holodeck would have been much smarter to do, and I had it all planned out, but they wouldn't call me to ask about it. "The greatest Trek playset you will never see." and it would have worked for that scale too, not like the junk they did. That 1 playset, properly done would have been better than all of the Star Wars playsets Kenner ever did combined. Dozens of worlds all in one box.

CCC.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its it just me or does Rocket look really sad?

10. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

Here is the Ming's Palace playset I did for my Flash Gordon figures.
    [​IMG]
    I found it on Plaid Stallions website. It was less that a quarter of a page in size. It took me 2 years to enlarge, clean, and color it in 1/18 scale.
    [​IMG]
    Note also the custom Flash and Ming figures. The final playset took up 8 pages which had to be precisely trimmed and mounted on a single sheet of posterboard, but you can see how it immerses the figures in their own world.

CCC.

11. OdoWanKenobi

See, I'm not a playset person. I love having detailed representations of my favorite characters above all else. I can certainly understand though, how someone interested in playsets and dioramas can prefer a smaller scale. My shelves get full enough without those things.

That is some impressive work on your Flash Gordon diorama.

12. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I also picked up a Batman Wayne Manor Playset for my Universal Monsters from Remco. The Burger King Bride figure fits in perfectly with them.
    [​IMG]
    I got this Pyramid playset for my Mummy at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
    [​IMG]

CCC.

13. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

A quick shot of my Buck Rogers figures.
    [​IMG]
    and someone was talking about Nova and the GotG. Here is my MU Nova with my custom Powerhouse.
    [​IMG]

CCC.

14. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE[/yt]

15. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

My Megos.
    [​IMG]
    ERTLs.
    [​IMG]
    Galoobs.
    [​IMG]
    Armus I made from scratch for my Galoob. There are only 3 of these in the world. I sent 1 to Jeannie Savin who featured it in an article in White's Guide to Collecting Figures, and I have the other 2.
    [​IMG]

CCC.

16. Kira's Mom

My newest Shelf Avengers adventure. Poor Black Knight really needs to think about the things he says...because the other guys are twelve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspired by this old comic:

[​IMG]

The "blew it in two minutes" comment would have gotten snickers from the guys, too.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    These new posts and pictures are great. That's a really nice Trek collection, and as always KM scores a winner with her latest update. :)

18. Kira's Mom

I thought my Nick Fury reading Go the Fuck to Sleep to my Shelf Avengers was cute, but I had more fun planning this new one.

I loves me some Black Knight, but he can be a dork sometimes.

19. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to the Hair Club for Action Figures. I am your host, Dr. Hank McCoy, and not only am I the founder, I am also a customer."

CCC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  20. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

My Mego super hero figures.
    [​IMG]